Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yes June is probably not possible. More like late July early August, but in reality when its done. Its playing really good but there are major missing weapons and perks yet on some books and Attribute perks yet, so there is just no way to put it out with missing/broken books. We're making progress on the occlusion system too, and if that pans out framerate should be significantly better than 17.4 and probably no comparison to 17.

We probably could have hit the date if we didn't improve so many little things that come up along the way. Like make new short descriptions (a fancy rank name) and long descriptions of the perks. Books took a bit of a life on their own and grew in scope. Fixing design inconsistencies. Adding new tabs to items to show what perks or books unlock what. Those little QOL things were not planned but came up and that causes some delays. But in this case its worth the wait. A month or 6 weeks late with all these polish items and way more new weapons than we planned shipping will be worth the wait.

Ah, the siren call of perfectionism. I don't mind the wait of another month or 6 weeks at all, but this "meanwhile another unplanned feature came along" scenario will probably happen again and again in the next two months. And then the next delay is inevitable if you haven't put a steel lid on the A18 feature list. Most players would be happy though to play A18 with only 80% of the features already announced. Be it the occlusion system or 16 instead of 12 weapons, they won't be missed in A18 with all the new stuff in there.

Just saying. Any feature relegated to A19 is still a feature we can look forward to while playing A18. And really, the feature list of A18 is a dream come true.

In my opinion, a game is not defined by risks. There are games where there are no risks and no challenges but they are still fun.

Taking risks is in my opinion something for people who can't plan properly or who are bored. Methodical planning can eliminate many risks in advance and if you have considered everything even all risks.

A puzzle is also a type of game. A game that requires patience and logical thinking.

I get where you are coming from but could not disagree more. Without risk you don't have a game. By your standards putting together a piece of IKEA furniture would be a game.

You are asking TFP to put in a stated, obvious countermeasure for a new zombie type so you can add it to your checklist and be assured of success. Sorry but this is just not gaming. Again, you just want a piece of the puzzle. And a puzzle is not a game. There is no way to lose, only quit grinding at it.

I play PvP and the most enjoyment I get is from attempting to build a base that will stop another player from getting in. I have failed every time so far. The planning for someone with gyrocopter, modded auger and 72 barrels of gas who only get on the server while you are sleeping or at work is a huge challenge. It is frustrating as hell, BUT it is also the one aspect that keeps me coming back. Otherwise this game would have been a one and done for me as good as the single player experience is I just need the unpredictable challenge of other players.

My whole point is that I guess it comes down to whose interests match those of TFP. We are on opposite ends of the spectrum as it comes to how we play 7D2D. To me you are asking to minimize the risks in the game and I am pushing for more risks so just debating with you here to expose a counterpoint. Nothing personal.

When I said its like scrap helmet, I meant to imply every single property. So it is now a tier 1 heavy armor.

BTW perks no longer increase armor rating, they just dictate armor crafting quality, lower stamina use and movement penalty and increase durability. Armor is better than it was in A17. This puts more emphasis on looting armor with good stats versus level up as fast as possible to get higher perks all the time.

Ok ty. I can't wait for A18, now as you mention perks will lower stamina use and movement penalty. Of course what I really can't wait for are the books!

I get where you are coming from but could not disagree more. Without risk you don't have a game. By your standards putting together a piece of IKEA furniture would be a game.

No, but by his standards Factorio would be a game. Where you can automate the defense and be safe as well.

You are asking TFP to put in a stated, obvious countermeasure for a new zombie type so you can add it to your checklist and be assured of success. Sorry but this is just not gaming. Again, you just want a piece of the puzzle. And a puzzle is not a game. There is no way to lose, only quit grinding at it.

Tower Defense IS a part of 7D2D. It isn't unreasonable to hope for multiple ways to handle a threat.

I'm a little in the same spot as RipClaw as I like to build somewhat complicated and effective horde bases too. I won't just sit around, but if any corridor I build to funnel the hordes is wrecked immediately by such a zombie (to paint an extreme picture) it would make a lot of intelligent base building useless and the sturdy big concrete block the best base again.

I don't think there is much danger of this happening though. The demolisher will be too effective in A18.0, then he gets nerfed in A18.1. The usual. :cocksure:

I have a suggestion for the Demolisher- so those that don't want it to explode get their way and those that want a challenge get their way:

Is it possible to create it with sections? for instance when it appears , it's fully healthy and has lets say 10 exploding chambers(for lack of a better term)

each time the Demolisher takes a certain amount of damage-it loses one of those chambers... so even if it survived getting close or into your base- left with 2 or 3 chambers could be like 2 or 3 mines or tnt sticks going off...instead of the full 10.

I'm not sure if the unity engine allows for this..

Tharn

Have you ever played Satisfactory? This is a game without risk and without losing. It's just a different kind of game than the one you might like to play. But despite everything, it's a game.

My whole point is that I guess it comes down to whose interests match those of TFP. We are on opposite ends of the spectrum as it comes to how we play 7D2D. To me you are asking to minimize the risks in the game and I am pushing for more risks so just debating with you here to expose a counterpoint. Nothing personal.

I also want to bring in a different point of view because many seem to be only interested in what new weapons come into the game.

But building is also a big part of the game. I don't want that players, who put a lot of work and time into their base, quit playing the game because a zombie destroys their base every time.

Sorry but if you tear something apart you break some things in the process. That's why its called scrapping and not "disassembly". If you could turn 9mm into your favorite ammo it would be OP IMO. Why does everyone want their cake and eat it too? Just turn on god mode and CM and have at it. Your the guy who wants his jars back too.

I don't mean to rant, but the game is supposed to be scrounging and a challenge, not have everything with some clicks. I'll just take apart my gun and recraft it but its magically better now because I perked up. Its simple and elegant right now, we're not clunking it up because people don't want to play the game. That one feature would take us 6 months to balance. Its not happening.

I'm not sure you read my post correctly. I specifically said there is no reason to use the ability to give back all materials from a scrap. I even said I hate games that do just that. I just stated the ability to have more than one product from a single craft would be a modders dream. (Edit: For full disclosure. I don't mod so for all I know this is already possible to mod in. )

I'm not sure you read my post correctly. I specifically said there is no reason to use the ability to give back all materials from a scrap. I even said I hate games that do just that. I just stated the ability to have more than one product from a single craft would be a modders dream. (Edit: For full disclosure. I don't mod so for all I know this is already possible to mod in. )

He said, "GOOD DAY, SIR!!"

;)

But building is also a big part of the game. I don't want that players, who put a lot of work and time into their base, quit playing the game because a zombie destroys their base every time.

Probably the most challenging gameplay balance, I agree. Noone wants invulnerable bases (we had that prior to A17), but the builders amongst us don't want to be reduced to turret and trap placing machines either. Tough call, but I trust TFP.

I don’t see what everyone is worried about with the demolisher. We have no idea how much damage it can do, how often they will spawn, how fast they move, etc. We don’t know what the best tactic will be defending a base against them. If it’s OP, they will change it or add in ways to deal with it... but we kinda have to see it in action first, not to mention, in an environment we haven’t played in yet.

Hi devs,

Are there plans to make stealth a bit less... weird?

Two issues: a drop from even the smallest height (e.g. half a block) results in fall sound, and a large spike in damage. I end up having to bring wood frame ramps with me on every quest because of this, and it's very very tedious.

Also, opening containers and destroying blocks while in stealth mode no longer seems to generate noise? Is that intended? Makes things a bit too easy. :)

Thank you all.

Two issues: a drop from even the smallest height (e.g. half a block) results in fall sound, and a large spike in damage. I end up having to bring wood frame ramps with me on every quest because of this, and it's very very tedious.

You are pretty much immortal to fall damage with Parkour perks. And if you use the shoes mod.. Oh my.

I don’t see what everyone is worried about with the demolisher. We have no idea how much damage it can do, how often they will spawn, how fast they move, etc. We don’t know what the best tactic will be defending a base against them. If it’s OP, they will change it or add in ways to deal with it... but we kinda have to see it in action first, not to mention, in an environment we haven’t played in yet.

I have been using suicide (exploding zombies) for a few alpha's now, they make excellent gameplay as long as there is a chance to kill them before they blow. In A16 it was one of the things to balance out a lot of tricks people could use to cheese the AI. Though I guess for some people it could be to much to have a lot of explosions going off around their bases :D

Guest Rassilon
You are pretty much immortal to fall damage with Parkour perks. And if you use the shoes mod.. Oh my.

Not what he meant.

As far as i understood ( and i agree) you can stealth all the way you want, the slightest drop from hight ( 1/2 Blocks or more) will alert all Zombies nearby, hence Woodframe ramps to avoid all "mini-falling" wich would sendt you all 50 Zombies of a Tier 5 Dungeon up your butt.

Yes June is probably not possible. More like late July early August, but in reality when its done. Its playing really good but there are major missing weapons and perks yet on some books and Attribute perks yet, so there is just no way to put it out with missing/broken books. We're making progress on the occlusion system too, and if that pans out framerate should be significantly better than 17.4 and probably no comparison to 17.

Does that mean we're unlikely to see a 17.5, and we'll jump from 17.4 to 18?

Does that mean we're unlikely to see a 17.5, and we'll jump from 17.4 to 18?

I'm pretty sure that will be the case barring some huge universal memory leak that comes to light and can be patched pretty easily....

I don't get the concern either. Instead for 2 block walls just put four. It is not like they are intelligent. You know they are just going to run at you so it seems like the defense is just thicker walls. My guess is that these types of players don't actually want a safe base. They want a zombie slaughterhouse where zombie pathing is exploited to funnel them into a Cuisinart for easy loot gathering. All the more reason for something like a demolisher.

I can promise I invest as much time building a base with other players than the single player guys do. Recovering from your base being breached by zombies is not a big deal.

I want vultures carrying demolishers who then explode into a 100 zombie dogs who in turn summon screamers everytime they die. A man can dream, a man can dream......

Please define "not that big". The zombies spawn in close to the edge of the rendered chunk which means that your base must have been huge. Building a compound so large that it encompasses every possible spawn point and then complaining that they spawn inside isn't fair. If you want to remove the bloodmoon horde mechanic from the game it is as easy as selecting it on the main menu. No need to to try and build it out of existence. You can easily build multiple layers of walls within the radius that the bloodmoon horde spawns.

I'm certain it was outside of his land claim.

One thing: Madmole, you said in an earlier statement that Random Stats on Weapon Mods are not planned and maybe comming very late, if at all.

While i am allready satisfied with rnd Stats on Weapons/Items, i really cross fingers that maybe you will come to that A19+, as it will be a huge additional boost of Motivator, finding THAT "perfect" Mod to THAT "perfect" Item. You keep players really happy, motivated and busy to fullify their wishes for the best gear.

Thank you for returning to the Forum and sharing again with us. Missed you, big guy.

Maybe you missed it, random stats are in on all items with quantity, and its amazing. I already on day one found a brown hunting rifle that did more damage than 2 other orange ones I had found. Handling and degradation are worse but I don't care, this is just strictly for hunting animals.

I already found a better orange pistol too, very cool stuff.

Oooh!

Are we getting vehicle mods in A18? Stuff like:

- Speed Boost

- Fuel Efficiency

- Mufflers (stealth)

- Cargo

- Mounted Spikes

- Explosive Mod -- Big explosion on vehicle death

- Low Gearing Mod -- Better hill climbing

- Overdrive Mod -- Damages vehicle for large speed boost

- Paint -- Just like dye

I know some were present in A17. AFAIK, they mostly weren't implemented (I may be wrong). Either way, I'm excited for vehicle mods.

No, some basics were written but we haven't implemented them. I doubt we'll have time there are still 1000 polish notes on existing stuff.

Archived