Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

@MM.....can you talk more on random gen yet? Specifically, changing how you are generating them, will it allow for larger maps being generated in a shorter time or is it just improving performance while playing or both? The photos you showed look like an incredible step up from A17. Also, will we still generate seeds in the same way and have infinite variations? Thanks in advance for any info.

We're scrapping this debate immediately.

Lol, after this beautifully rough stop sign, I wanna take the opportunity to thank you @madmole and your entire team for putting so much effort into a game that's been 1000+ hs of pure entertainment for me and my friends, options, versatility and freedom, are some of the features you don't find together in many games today, I have to say this masterpiece you've created makes me fantasize and daydream with every update. Thank you once again.

@MM.....can you talk more on random gen yet? Specifically, changing how you are generating them, will it allow for larger maps being generated in a shorter time or is it just improving performance while playing or both? The photos you showed look like an incredible step up from A17. Also, will we still generate seeds in the same way and have infinite variations? Thanks in advance for any info.

I've explained the differences a couple of times. Seeds are generated the same way. It uses GPU to help speed generation so its a lot faster than before. I can't promise 16k worlds though but they should be possible in theory.

Lol, after this beautifully rough stop sign, I wanna take the opportunity to thank you @madmole and your entire team for putting so much effort into a game that's been 1000+ hs of pure entertainment for me and my friends, options, versatility and freedom, are some of the features you don't find together in many games today, I have to say this masterpiece you've created makes me fantasize and daydream with every update. Thank you once again.

Thanks, no smoke blowing here, but 18 is the best build ever. I say that not from bullet points of added features, but from hands on experience as a gamer. I really think 18 delivers what we had hoped 17 would. Looting, quality has damage, books, random stats, perks are reorganized into more class specific roles and playstyles and there are no "must haves". Zombies do less block damage and takes a group to shred walls. Balance, balance and more balance. Lots of choices. The junk perk books are gone. New terrain textures. Mining has a nice tell where the ore is. What you see is what you get, spot ore on the surface, dig down and get after it. Optimizations and bug fixes, its really shaping up to make things right.

No I tested it, and the block destroys the grass when you place it. If you can't place it, its NOT grass. Probably a small tree or bush you guys are talking about.

The issue happens when the game thinks you're focused on grass, but you're really just trying to place a block.

...this is probably the oldest and most common gripe. I'm sure there are bajillions of videos.

Thanks, no smoke blowing here, but 18 is the best build ever. I say that not from bullet points of added features, but from hands on experience as a gamer. I really think 18 delivers what we had hoped 17 would. Looting, quality has damage, books, random stats, perks are reorganized into more class specific roles and playstyles and there are no "must haves". Zombies do less block damage and takes a group to shred walls. Balance, balance and more balance. Lots of choices. The junk perk books are gone. New terrain textures. Mining has a nice tell where the ore is. What you see is what you get, spot ore on the surface, dig down and get after it. Optimizations and bug fixes, its really shaping up to make things right.

I think I understand what happened and what A17 meant, my friends and many other people don't because they never made a game and then realize that to improve something and make it all easier in the future you need to overhaul the entire system you originally built on. So I understood why it took so long and also why balance wasn't on point on the initial builds. I understand all of you guys' effort and what it means, I think, and i honestly can't thank you enough. Better save up some money to buy some of those T-Shirts you have on Amazon. Lol. Cheers.

Anything else really cool from minecraft I need to see? Thank god they put in a recipe menu and copied us lol. The old way was garbage. I still craft some basics that way but love a menu craft, who can remember everything and looking recipes up on a wiki is bs.

Don't know the last time you played, but as Roland pointed out the submerged POI's are really cool. I have a lot of fun clearing them when I don't even have much gear. And, as agrasti0s mentioned, mineshafts are really cool, tool. (Although those have been around for a while.)

And while both are a little behind (a lot of MODs are as MC had some very major changes past couple of versions) and you don't even need to try and add them, you should check out the RailCraft and BuildCraft mods. Just to see what they do. They add a lot of engineering. (It seems like you might not be a big mod type person, but building things seems to be something you like...)

Whats up with these raids in minecraft? I killed some noisy jerk outside, then 3 guys with a banner came, I rekt them and now I have some icon on my screen. Will they come back with their buddies now? What does it mean?

I got this from reading the wiki When you kill an illager captain(the guy with the banner), you'll get the "bad omen" status which means they are pissed off and will raid the next friendly village you go nearby. When you beat a few waves they leave and you get the "hero of the village" status effect, which makes villagers give better deals for a while.

Nah, I just usually end up reading the wiki entries on stuff before I encounter them in that game.

He's talking about how you kill the illagers, they get mad and attack a Village, then you swoop in and save them and they think you're the hero.

It's like the government putting cyanide in your drinking water then coming up with a miracle cure that saves you. Then you turn around and praise/worship them for it.

Edit: Just watch a documentary on North Korea

LOL have you played the game or is it still in your wish list? Its been that way since A2 or so.

There are times that the placement system tries to put the block above the grass model/block instead of replacing it and then your block falls and is destroyed.

He's talking about how you kill the illagers, they get mad and attack a Village, then you swoop in and save them and they think you're the hero.

It's like the government putting cyanide in your drinking water then coming up with a miracle cure that saves you. Then you turn around and praise/worship them for it.

Yeah, that sounds about about right. Isn't it funny how the most useless villagers always are the ones who end up in "accidents"?

I nerfed it to scrap iron armor stats, so its the lowest tier heavy armor right now.

Cralification: I'm reading this as that the mining helmet armor will be made equivalent to the scrap iron helmet armor rating? No changes will be done in terms of what armor type it is classified as right now, right. Since in A17.4 it's classified as light armor. See image.

https://imgur.com/tQ75bW2

The Plastic Plating mod which is a light armor mod can be put into it. So right now in A17.4 in helmets it goes like this:

Light armor

Padded hood = 2 armor rating + repair w/ cloth

Leather hood = 4 armor rating + repair w/ leather

Football helmet = 8 armor rating + repair w/ forged iron

Mining helmet = 8 armor rating + repair w/forged iron

Military helmet = 6 armor rating + repair w/ military fiber

Heavy armor

Scrap helmet = 5 armor rating + repair w/ scrap iron

Iron helmet = 7 armor rating + repair w/ forged iron

Steel helmet = 9 armor rating + repair w/ steel

SWAt helmet = 10 armor + repair w/ forged iron

The values listed are all base amor with no perks or armor mods installed. I hate to say it, but you're gonna have to put the balancing issue again @madmole. Sorry.

Edit: Two ideas I can think of, 1) remove the mining helmet as a head slot and reintroduce it as a armor mod or 2) have the mining helmet replace the model the iron helmet and keep the stats the same.

Why does the SMG have significantly worse base damage than the Pistol? I feel that guns that fire the same rounds should mean the same amount of damage, right (yes I know that's not totally how it works IRL but CLOSE ENOUGH)?

In games with limited/rare ammunition, I'm going to want to use whichever gun gives the most damage per round, and with the right item mods you can have an automatic pistol anyway, which kind of removes the SMG's niche as the automatic 9mm weapon. Please consider standardizing damage by caliber so that guns can each shine for their own merits!

Its kinda like the ak-47 it has a minus to damage due to it being automatic, same casw with the smg, however, in A16 this was valid, in a17 where you have trigger groups that can make nearly any gun semi, full auto, or burst, its kinda pointless to leave tht debuff in. But think about it, if the smg did the same damage as the pistol would you ever use the pistol? I know i'd not use it. Same with ak47 and marksman rifle, if ak47 did full damage the marksman rifle would have no real use as the ak 47 is better in pretty much every way.

I'd be fine with not overlooking Very Obvious features of a weapon like a really high rate of fire with a good magazine size and pretty common ammunition. ;)

Exactly! Both have their role. You decide which one better fits your play style and resource situation.

Eliminating the pistol by making the SMG "always best" would be a dumb move.

Yeah a 45 round clip with a mag extender is pretty nice, reloads can get you killed in this game, and the cheapest most common to find ammo. I think the whole spawning mechanic needs to be reworked, to be made like loot. Higher gamestage=higher chance of radiated but it should never get to the point its a 100% guarnteed chance for them to spawn for every sleeper. Kinda like loot, even on day 1 you can find a tier 6 item if your lucky, but higher loot rating you have based on Gamestage and loot bonuses the higher percent chance you'll find better things, but it never gets to the point like a16 where you'd eventually always loot tier 6 items no matter what.

I also hope the stats are better balanced so your not like forced to take certan stats high to be viable, like in a17 you kinda need 5-7 str, and 10 int if you wanna craft everything and not be a snail trying to carry loot. I still feel perks like miner 69'er, motherload, pack mule and such should be moved to a statless General perk pool, maybe put their unlocks being you have to have a certan amount of total stats invested across the 5 stat types. This way, you still need stats, but your not locked to only needing say Int to make vechicles and workbenches. Its less of an issue in multiplayer, but when your a single player like me, were bascally forced into certan builds if we wanna be able to be viable at all solo.

hell no i like breaking grass with my club. i would hate to empty a slot just so i could gather grass.

People actually keep that scrapped glass? if I want glass I just go to the desert for the crushed sand, or make it in a cement mixer.

Steel bullets are gone. We now have armor piercing and hollow points, and all weapons use brass. There are a lot more ways to get brass now though once you find the books to unlock special harvest events.

I am going to assume Hollow points works for almost all zombies, except a few like the football player, soldier and utility one as they have some dmg resistance. Just don't make the recipes retarded like you did with shotgun slugs, I still wanna know what you guys were on when you thought that recipe up. 5 lead bullet tips, 3 brass casings and 3+ gunpowder for 1 shot when it has the same damage as magnum rounds? Its easly fixed with mods but it makes me worry about these new bullet type recipes heh.

No but the 11-13 new weapons need to actually get finished lol. Its a lot more than a screenshot on twitter to be considered done. Anims, sound, balance, FX, crafting recipes, parts to craft, iron sight etc etc.

A lot of people sadly don't really seem to get how much work actually goes into even some of the simpler looking things in the background as most of it is hidden from the player. Even for a simple animation there is rigging, mapping, making sure the weapon (if it uses one) stays in the right spot(s), making sure the textures don't glitch out weirdly during movement, probally quite a few other things I don't know about behind the scenes.

1, We're looking into that. It would be jars, bowls, parcel, cans.

2, Yes.

Not a fan of number 2's answer, That just sounds like more repair work except now its the ground outside. I'd rather it do no block damage if the explosion is caused by the player hitting the weak point.

Not a fan of number 2's answer, That just sounds like more repair work except now its the ground outside. I'd rather it do no block damage if the explosion is caused by the player hitting the weak point.

So the explosion gets weaker depending on who cause it?

Archived