Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Madmole tell me the M16, M4A1, M4, AR 15 or the CAR-15?

Which one of them is closer to entering the A18? my friends came back to play with me when I told him that we are going to have these weapons :dance: now I just need this miracle to happen

It was based off of the SIG -716, but its got the post apocalyptic add ons, like a jack stand end for the stock.

Multiple reasons. For one, i am playing agility build with splash to perception (for damage) and inteligence (for crafting). As only one. All my friends play strenght / endurance or perception / endurance.

Next reason is that i do not like being in one place and hitting the wall for too long (with my mental state, you can consider 5 minutes too long). I need to change stuff am doing, jump around a lot etc.

Also, my favourite parts are building and shooting. So yes, i do need a lot of material, but i have "more fun" things to do in the game :) Actually wanted to be an architekt, but i am too much of a retard when it comes to math :D Only missing the old times in 7D where cities were literally full of zombies so you could not just fight them off. The adrenaline of running up the stairs of hotel with friend, one clearing way of the few zombies that were inside, other one trying to barricade way before the enormous herd that was chasing us <3

You should work on your portfolio and build cool levels in games and get a job as a level designer. That is as close to an architect job you can find and level design pays more and you don't need much math for it.

this was posted right after madmole left. hopfully i'll get a response. Thank you.

Can there be a short down state where you can revive you're party members. Also aiding other people with healing items would be better than having to drop the item at there feet. Having a quest automatically distributed amongst party members would be nice. Party changes like that would help the co-op experience become more solid.

You right click to heal others.

A near death state would be cool, but its a low priority thing until we get to balancing Pvp in beta or post gold.

Can we get some changes to the vehicle controls, namely:

1. Stop cutting the camera sensitivity in half when you're in a vehicle. I want to be able to look around at the same speed as when i'm on foot.

2. Stop making me hold the Sprint key to go full speed. Use the Sprint key for something like turbo.

3. Add an option in the menu to set the default controls (between mouse/keyboard). I don't want to ever use the mouse to steer, and having to switch everytime i load up the game or get in a new vehicle is annoying.

Not today.

with all the Radiation and post nuklear Word... how about mini nukes as Weapons?

Maybe not copying a certain game that uses it in launchers, but as plantable Bomb? ( High Cost, long fuse, Signal etc) ?

We're lucky to get tnt performing ok. The only way a nuke might work is to literally just change the whole chunk to a pre fab of a crater and skip the damage testing and block falling simulation 100%. The problem is, I think players would be angry that months of fort building was eradicated by some jerk with cheats on, or who crafted a nuke.

Sorry but if you tear something apart you break some things in the process. That's why its called scrapping and not "disassembly". If you could turn 9mm into your favorite ammo it would be OP IMO. Why does everyone want their cake and eat it too? Just turn on god mode and CM and have at it. Your the guy who wants his jars back too.

I don't mean to rant, but the game is supposed to be scrounging and a challenge, not have everything with some clicks. I'll just take apart my gun and recraft it but its magically better now because I perked up. Its simple and elegant right now, we're not clunking it up because people don't want to play the game. That one feature would take us 6 months to balance. Its not happening.

I am sorry but it seems you might be missing what is actually being asked for here. It is not about scrapping ammo into it's components. We had that before and yes it was OP to be able to do. But does not mean scrapping could not yield more than one kind of item, neither would getting more than one kind of item from a crafting recipe. Most items are not made from just one material, a scrapped bullet could yield 1 lead and 1 brass for example, instead of either lead or brass (as it is now).

I agree that when scrapping is concerned it should not ever give back something that can be used in crafting the same thing back again. It should just yield base materials that need to be processed again or turned into more usable materials first and give back less than it would cost totally.

But I get, and probably are right, that you do not want to invest time in a feature that will be mostly be utilized by modders. Just one question though, you spoke earlier of a new feature to unpack an item to get stacks of things, does this allow multiple items to be granted (so 1 of itemA and one of itemB)? If so this could probably be used for the same purpose.

@devs, I read the zombie numbers inside the smaller POIs (like Diersville houses) are going to be reduced for A18. Just curious, what was the reason you wanted the numbers to be so high for A17?

I think the intent was we liked dungeon like POIs we experimented with in A16 like the skyscrapers and construction sites, so we wanted to make more of those in houses and smaller POIs.

Level designers tested with cheat kits of shotguns, aks and armor at GS 1 is not the same as real world testing legit games at various game stages and people of average ability and gear.

So several things have led us to nerf them some. Performance, how long does it take me to clear out a POI, and do I have enough ammo to handle this, and is the reward good enough, etc have dictated some needed change. I think its much better now.

Oooo boy... Does it specifically only blow up things like walls, traps, etc? AKA not natural terrain? One of THE most annoying things in minecraft is creepers blowing holes in the ground everywhere... patching them up is such a huge drag. And will be even more so in 7 days since you can't just place a single layer over the top due to gravity existing and you have to actually craft the dirt blocks. At least in minecraft if you kill the creeper before it can detonate you can avoid having to patch up craters. So the craters are more a punishment for failing to kill them properly. If demolishers are making craters no matter what you do to them that could make them be a pretty awful feeling zombie to fight.

Explosions don't damage terrain I don't think. I can see people building dirt walls already.

Speaking of minecraft I hadn't played in 7 years and wanted to play again. I build cool castles like 7 days and its kind of relaxing, where 7 days is kind of stressful. Anyhow my account supposedly needed migrating but it just lagged tried changing pws and put in a support ticket. A week later I just bought it again, ♥♥♥♥ you microsoft. I am having fun with it. The scaffolding is a must have for 7 days. I love building crazy stuff and frames are ok, but I like their new scaffolding. I'd make frames climbable but you need to be inside the voxel not outside. I'm sure our programmers can figure it out.

Anything else really cool from minecraft I need to see? Thank god they put in a recipe menu and copied us lol. The old way was garbage. I still craft some basics that way but love a menu craft, who can remember everything and looking recipes up on a wiki is bs.

I am sorry but it seems you might be missing what is actually being asked for here. It is not about scrapping ammo into it's components. We had that before and yes it was OP to be able to do. But does not mean scrapping could not yield more than one kind of item, neither would getting more than one kind of item from a crafting recipe. Most items are not made from just one material, a scrapped bullet could yield 1 lead and 1 brass for example, instead of either lead or brass (as it is now).

I agree that when scrapping is concerned it should not ever give back something that can be used in crafting the same thing back again. It should just yield base materials that need to be processed again or turned into more usable materials first and give back less than it would cost totally.

But I get, and probably are right, that you do not want to invest time in a feature that will be mostly be utilized by modders. Just one question though, you spoke earlier of a new feature to unpack an item to get stacks of things, does this allow multiple items to be granted (so 1 of itemA and one of itemB)? If so this could probably be used for the same purpose.

As a player I'm with you, but as a dev I'm not. Its too much headache to manage and properly integrate into the 1000's of items we have.

Yes, the new class OpenBundle allows multiple items and quantity with commas.

Explosions don't damage terrain I don't think. I can see people building dirt walls already.

I would probably do layered walls with dirt in the middle... keep it nice when possible but protected. Not a bad thing, I don't think. Sand might make more sense.

Guest Rassilon
We're lucky to get tnt performing ok. The only way a nuke might work is to literally just change the whole chunk to a pre fab of a crater and skip the damage testing and block falling simulation 100%. The problem is, I think players would be angry that months of fort building was eradicated by some jerk with cheats on, or who crafted a nuke.

Yeah ok, you got a point. Besides Players Bases ( wich can be protected with LCBs) i think the performance impact would be a huge downside.

Just always loved the Mushroom animation since i played F3 and discovered cars explode^^

That's really good to hear. And if they want to build dirt walls they can go for it. They'll just crumble the instant a zombie or two makes it to it and hits it a couple times. :playful:

Speaking of minecraft I hadn't played in 7 years and wanted to play again. I build cool castles like 7 days and its kind of relaxing, where 7 days is kind of stressful. Anyhow my account supposedly needed migrating but it just lagged tried changing pws and put in a support ticket. A week later I just bought it again, ♥♥♥♥ you microsoft. I am having fun with it. The scaffolding is a must have for 7 days. I love building crazy stuff and frames are ok, but I like their new scaffolding. I'd make frames climbable but you need to be inside the voxel not outside. I'm sure our programmers can figure it out.

Anything else really cool from minecraft I need to see? Thank god they put in a recipe menu and copied us lol. The old way was garbage. I still craft some basics that way but love a menu craft, who can remember everything and looking recipes up on a wiki is bs.

I honestly haven't played MC in years. I just recalled how maddening creepers blowing holes in my yard was when I read your bit on the demolisher. It's really good to hear that they are still updating that game though. My gaming group has been tossing around the idea of starting up a server for that again. Albeit they want to try some big overhaul mod that adds in spaceships and other planets or something.

My favorite parts of minecraft were generally exploring natural caves, mining them clean of valuables, and finding really interesting locations generated by the terrain generator and turning them in to bases. I was sort of a hobbit/dwarf. Loved making bases that incorporated as much of the original terrain layout as possible.

I totally agree it's a lot less stressful than 7 days. But that's just what sets your game apart from MC. MC always got boring to me kind of quickly because it lacks the very thing 7 days introduces to the equation. A purpose. After I hauled my tenth stack of iron up to my chest in MC I'd kind of realize "What the heck is the point of any of this anyways...?" and my enjoyment would promptly die off. There's no point in exploring in MC either. There's not really anything all that worth finding out there. The 7 day horde gives you a reason to do things in 7 days. And finding loot makes exploring worthwhile in a tangible way that is more than just "because the POIs look cool".

Granted all those comments are the MC I played years ago. Maybe some of it has changed!

As a player I'm with you, but as a dev I'm not. Its too much headache to manage and properly integrate into the 1000's of items we have.

Yes, the new class OpenBundle allows multiple items and quantity with commas.

Could an item more easily be set to randomly scrap into one of 2-3 things? Like a bullet could scrap randomly into brass, or lead, or gunpowder? Then if the player scraps 100 bullets one at a time they might end up with about 33 of each mat. To do it they would have to scrap things individually rather than as a stack so that would be the balance...

For some reason the most exciting thing in A18 for me, is the random weapon stats and books. I guess I just love to loot.

@Madmole, Any plan on making more books after A18 or is this system complete in your eyes?

Also, nice work on the mining helmet, that thing was just too good.

Alternate Dimension (doesn't fit but it's cool)

One of my Ideas for a mod I had was for the user to take a magic mushroom and it would trigger an hallucinogenic effect, making blocks neon and glowy, trees have faces, terrain would look wavy like the surface of water, and the best part was have incredibly weird things spawn. For example: Giant walking corn on the cobs, monsters, turtle people, living fruit, tiny UFOs (vultures), Mushroom spirit NPC that sold special items, etc.

I know not technically another dimension, but it would fit a bit more realistically than a nether portal. My mod ideas are just as crazy as I am lol.

Guest Rassilon
Madmole, what are the chances of us getting something like a mine cart to zip around in my mines like in minecraft? Possibly having storage for rock and other resources as well. Thanks MM.

probably 0-ish.

It would be affected the same way NPC Companions have gotten dismissed: Way to costly Performance and trouble with pathing in a fully destructible world.

probably 0-ish.

It would be affected the same way NPC Companions have gotten dismissed: Way to costly Performance and trouble with pathing in a fully destructible world.

I figured it's probably pretty low, but maybe someone could mod it in. I was really looking forward to the tameable wolves as well. Priorities though. I'd rather have a game that works well with 100 features than one that's not very polished with 1000.

Anything else really cool from minecraft I need to see?

Swimming

Jungles

Abandoned mineshafts

Boats

Minecarts

Offhand system

Raids (probably how bandits will work)

Elytra (Glider)

Buildable companions (Don't know if that would fit but it's cool)

Villagers (White River Settlement?)

Crossbow loaded with Fireworks (make it possible to shoot explosives with the Bow or Crossbow? Don't know about this one)

Edit:Oh, yeah, madmole, also mention lockpicking in the OP.

Madmole

I know you guys have a lot on your plate, and something like this wouldn't even be looked at for a long while, but is there any chance of tweaking the new "Dynamic Music" system so that in the future, players actually search and find "Music" that they can play in their Bases?

Imagine the fun of finding old records or Cds and taking them back to your base.. or searching and finding a sweet record cache only to discover that it's some "Dad's" 1970's Disco phase collection..

So many different possibilities and the added Item search for collectables would obviously only be a QOL, but I would break through a record store's brick wall if I thought I saw a dust covered Metallica or Motorhead album cover through the store window in the End of Days.

<You have found Rock Album # 7>

<return to base>

<load Rock Album #7 into Music Player>

<Using Wire tool, string from Player down to Speaker in Mine>

<Enjoy while digging>

Spelunking

Fishing

Edge Grip

Submerged POI's

Taming

Alternate Dimension (doesn't fit but it's cool)

Edge grip doesn't work in a game with sneaking as crouch. Submerged are probably doable now that we have a new terrain filler type that doesn't modify the terrain, you could just shove something -5 deep into the mud and it would work. Fishing dunno, and taming doesn't work until we get performance boosted at least 800%.

Archived