Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

More like your whole life. I got handed my first A18 death by a landmine. I didn't have much armor though.

I ran into a mine in A17.4 in full steel armor (armor rating is at 60) and 160 HP and was killed. They are much stronger now than they were in A17.2. Something has changed about the explosion damage.

No but the 11-13 new weapons need to actually get finished lol. Its a lot more than a screenshot on twitter to be considered done. Anims, sound, balance, FX, crafting recipes, parts to craft, iron sight etc etc.

I've been hoping for more new weapons to be added to the list and it looks like my wish was granted so big thanks to TFPs for that :D.

That said though MM, would it be possible to share what new weapons are coming in exactly? I know there is a double-barrel shotty and M60 (?) coming but would there be others?

Also, something to consider. There are auto-turrets in the game now but how about introducing mounted gun emplacements? For example, we can have a mounted M60 that is fixed in a position and the player would need to man it. Perks of it being mounted is that it can store a much larger ammo capacity before needing a reload, or being very stable and accurate while firing if mounted, etc.

I think a cool mechanic to add would be something like Dying Light had where when you caused too much noise(lots of gunfire, explosions, etc) the viral(feral) zombies would come after you.

So if you take that shiny M60 into a POI and go full auto through an entire mag, some ferals would spawn nearby outside and come for you. Could maybe make it in cities only.

Then you couldn't smash harvest stuff as you run to POIs with your weapon. I pop the goldenrod and red tea plants everywhere I go with my melee weapon.

Grass should be visible to weapons, but it should be invisible when placing new blocks. This way you could easily replace a Grass block, with say, a concrete one, without needing to destroy the grass first.

For dev inspiration, please check out Deep Rock Galactic. Its game mechanics have some similarities to 7 days but what’s most impressive is the entire game evolves around mining procedural caves while surviving swarms of enemies. Just that limited scope gameplay is fun as hell. Proof of concept that mining resources can be made fun and challenging.

That is extremelly subjective mate. Mining is THE thing i hate about 7D. That is why i play only coop.

Hello TFP, hello Madmol. The new random generation (with rivers and lakes) is one of the features for the A18? It does not appear in the list of features. The spear is not in the list either.

That is extremelly subjective mate. Mining is THE thing i hate about 7D. That is why i play only coop.

I never understood why anyone hates mining. What don't you like about it ? It's wonderfully relaxing. At least as long as no zombies fall from the ceiling.

Speaking of mounted gun emplacements, if you go into camera view on a shotgun turret, I found you can fire the gun from that POV.

I would like to see a craftable and placeable BRASS CANNON. Crafting the canon should take A LOT of brass(1000?). Craftable in the forge with the tool and die kit.

Ammo could be similar to the blunderbuss ammo, but raw iron instead of rock, and it shout be a canister round and not a single projectile. Think of as a giant shotgun. So 10 paper, 10 gun powder, 30 iron.

Make it expensive to make, slow to reload, but pack a big punch. It should be in two parts, craft the brass cannon and the brass cannon mount (wood, forged iron and a torch) Torch is used to light the flash whole to set off the cannon.

You could start your defense off with the cannon but eventually be over run due to its loading time, forcing other tactics to be implemented, after the enemy has been softened some, or deciding to line your defenses with expensive cannons having multiple volleys to go off. In this situation the ability to cancel the reload animation would be a must.

This could be easily craftable early game, but still be powerful enough (unlike the blunderbuss) to be viable in the late game.

Steel bullets are gone. We now have armor piercing and hollow points, and all weapons use brass. There are a lot more ways to get brass now though once you find the books to unlock special harvest events.

I'm a little nervous about that. I tend to hoard when reliable sources are not available, hence the hundreds of glue and duct tape I keep ready for emergencies. :)

But A18 sounds like a brave new world! All weapons will need close scrutiny like 'Borderlands' weapons. Looking forward to seeing if I can push my "Average time to death" a bit further out. :)

Scrap has only 1 output currently. While that idea is nifty, it produces potential spilling of items on the ground and is OP in general.

The ability to have multiple products from one crafting action is OP? I"m confused. Wouldn't it only be OP if used to give all materials back? But I can see modders having a field day with that ability. The OP had some nice examples of what modders could do with it. It wouldn't have to be only for scrapping and not losing any of the material. I agree that is OP. I hate games that work like that.

Thanks for answer, but I meant something different, sorry english is not my native language. What I meant is that since you implemented items with random stats, do you also plan to implement a feature thanks to which we would be able to either find or buy items that already have some modifications attached? That kind of feature would be cool. I asked this some time ago, but I couldn't find the answer.

Yes, mining hats now come with a light mod installed in them, so you can yank the light, put it in your favorite helmet and lose the bob the builder look. We don't have anything else planned yet but will get to that at some point.

Yes, mining hats now come with a light mod installed in them, so you can yank the light, put it in your favorite helmet and lose the bob the builder look. We don't have anything else planned yet but will get to that at some point.

Thank you very much. If and when you get pre-modded items in, I'm pretty sure that opening the right loot containers will feel like Christmas and looting will be much more interesting overall. :)

Bob the builder!

Can we fix it?

Madmole:

Question 1 - Will the hand held models for food items be back in A18? I miss eating those pies and stews.

Question 2 - About the demolisher zombies, it says to shoot them in the flashing sweet spot to detonate them. When you detonate them and they explode, does THAT explosion also break blocks?

1, We're looking into that. It would be jars, bowls, parcel, cans.

2, Yes.

Does this include shotgun shells? Shot and slugs?

- - - Updated - - -

lol. Yeah I remember the comments. One was like. "Did you think about renaming the game to Seven Days of Fog?" :)

Shells are shells.

M60 New? That weapon is so old it was replaced with the 240B. It belongs in museum.

Have you had a chance to fix the fire rate bug? It seemed to have problems when you showed it in that video.

Lag recording probably.

I ran into a mine in A17.4 in full steel armor (armor rating is at 60) and 160 HP and was killed. They are much stronger now than they were in A17.2. Something has changed about the explosion damage.

Yes, it actually works. Before you used some inflated number to get some sort of effect. Probably need to go through them and balance them now that they work right and do the damage given in xml.

Speaking of mining hat. Might its AR get nerfed in favour of a perk plus maybe? Similar to sunglasses, or the cigar, etc. Maybe +1 to Mother Lode or Miner Sixty-Niner or something...

Was a bit disappoint to craft an iron helmet to replace the miner and my AR went down :/

Madmole tell me the M16, M4A1, M4, AR 15 or the CAR-15?

Which one of them is closer to entering the A18? my friends came back to play with me when I told him that we are going to have these weapons :dance: now I just need this miracle to happen

I never understood why anyone hates mining. What don't you like about it ? It's wonderfully relaxing. At least as long as no zombies fall from the ceiling.

Multiple reasons. For one, i am playing agility build with splash to perception (for damage) and inteligence (for crafting). As only one. All my friends play strenght / endurance or perception / endurance.

Next reason is that i do not like being in one place and hitting the wall for too long (with my mental state, you can consider 5 minutes too long). I need to change stuff am doing, jump around a lot etc.

Also, my favourite parts are building and shooting. So yes, i do need a lot of material, but i have "more fun" things to do in the game :) Actually wanted to be an architekt, but i am too much of a retard when it comes to math :D Only missing the old times in 7D where cities were literally full of zombies so you could not just fight them off. The adrenaline of running up the stairs of hotel with friend, one clearing way of the few zombies that were inside, other one trying to barricade way before the enormous herd that was chasing us <3

Archived