Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Is there any reason to bother building a base out of Wood or Scrap? The Wood-through-Scrap block upgrade tree is expensive and costs a lot of materials I'd rather use elsewhere, while rocks and clay for Flagstone/Bricks are much easier to work with, and it seems like they're just flat-out more durable anyway? What's the deal?

We are looking at it, yes its a waste currently. Flagstone is the best starter material.

Do terrain blocks ever heal themselves if left alone for a long time? The game has to keep track of which blocks are damaged and what their HP is at, and that means keeping track of gradually more and more data, right? I hope there's some kind of cleanup protocol, because when I think about how many random blocks in the world are at 247/250 because of stray arrows... Someone tell me to help quell my OCD! :miserable:

I don't think it costs any more to have it 247 than 250.

It takes a road crew and street cleaners work to keep the lines barely visible at times, why would they still be visible at all after nukes dropped and many years of zombies, acid rain and zero maintenance? Anyhow it if were needed it would be in. Its just not doable very easy with voxels.

Mmm... acid rain confirmed in Alpha 18? :smile-new:

@Madmole

Thanks for fixing the landmines. They're a blast to use again and they feel super powerful. I'm one-shotting cops with pressure plate mines and taking out multiple enemies with one mine.

Yes hopefully grenades, dynamite and rockets bring the much needed carnage and dynamic gameplay we deserve having a fully destroyable world.

We are looking at it, yes its a waste currently. Flagstone is the best starter material.

You can make wood and metal give a thorns effect when a zombie hits them. Think like splinters and shards of iron as they tear through it.

With this system I can see people using a combination of hard blocks (cobble, concrete, etc.) and weaker but damaging blocks (wood, metal, etc.). It would make base building even more interesting and give much needed purpose to wood and metal blocks.

JOEL,

if you consider my proposals inappropriate, then I have another thing: to make aiming from firearms, bow and crossbow only when the right mouse button is held down, and that the aiming works in about 0.3-0.5 seconds.

For a single click of the right mouse button, you can add a butt or repulse a zombie, as can be seen in the Project Zomboid.

Many players want to be able kick zombie with a weapon butt or push them away. I'm not talking here about the possibility of pushing zombi with their feet )))

Thanks for reading my stupid ideas )

The plan is to re-enable weapons switching while reloading and fix the visual glitches. You won't get credited the reload until the last frame is complete.

Sounds like some neat changes/additions!

Finding books was a fun aspect of the game, but I understand how that was frustrating when holding back major advancements such as learning how to make bikes. So the new system sounds like a great balance between the two, just like the balance between learning stuff from character level points but also learning stuff from practicing using weapons, tools, etc.

Any rough ETA for A18 btw?

I don't think it costs any more to have it 247 than 250.

Okay, that's good to know. I wasn't sure if the way it was coded meant that a block being full health was 'free' and safely unloadable until interacted with, and then if you did something with it, it started potentially keeping track of all these HP and state numbers regardless of where you were. That means that all blocks are always kept track of regardless of condition in the save file, right?

Speaking of blocks, there was an AAAAANCIENT experimental update that lasted like, 2 days, where terrain blocks were octagonal instead of the diamond shape we know now. Why not keep the blocky aesthetic? Too many polygons?

Really liking these changes and looking forward to the perk rebalances too.

@madmole / @Gazz

Are there any plans in the works to have a recipe give multiple items as an output?

Asking as I can see it having some cool implications like disassembling a bullet into its casing, tip and gunpowder (may make a nice book perk) or refining oil shale into different types of oil, gasoline, polymers etc in a workstation. May be beyond the scope of A18 or even the game in general but as a modder I like to know :) You could then add byproducts to some recipes like getting a glass jar back when cooking food that requires it.

XML could be...

<recipe name="item1, item2, item3,..." ... >

... ingredients ...

</recipe>

Scrap has only 1 output currently. While that idea is nifty, it produces potential spilling of items on the ground and is OP in general.

Is it just the random stats or also modifications on the items? And if it's just the random stats, do you have a plan for items with pre-installed modifications too?

Just on items with quality. Mods do not have quality. Maybe down the road if we look at mods closer, we will have enough things all over the place to manage with this feature I don't want to go any wider unless needed.

They have that in Dying Light, and I always forget. I sit there staring at the screen like an ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ for 10 mins waiting for it to load, and then get super irate when I remember I have to click the spacebar. lol

The game loads and does not require a spacebar to start.

tfp, it would be nice to change the properties of the grass so that it could break with a fist, and for all other weapons and tools was transparent. But I think for you it's not a priority :hopelessness::hopelessness:

Then you couldn't smash harvest stuff as you run to POIs with your weapon. I pop the goldenrod and red tea plants everywhere I go with my melee weapon.

Madmole welcome, when you refer to "having many new weapons" do you mean those already announced? or are there new weapons that were not announced in the forum?

No but the 11-13 new weapons need to actually get finished lol. Its a lot more than a screenshot on twitter to be considered done. Anims, sound, balance, FX, crafting recipes, parts to craft, iron sight etc etc.

Really liking these changes and looking forward to the perk rebalances too.

@madmole / @Gazz

Are there any plans in the works to have a recipe give multiple items as an output?

Asking as I can see it having some cool implications like disassembling a bullet into its casing, tip and gunpowder (may make a nice book perk) or refining oil shale into different types of oil, gasoline, polymers etc in a workstation. May be beyond the scope of A18 or even the game in general but as a modder I like to know :) You could then add byproducts to some recipes like getting a glass jar back when cooking food that requires it.

XML could be...

<recipe name="item1, item2, item3,..." ... >

... ingredients ...

</recipe>

There is a mod coming that already has this functionality. Whenever it comes, eventually. ;)

Archived