Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Will A17.4 Stable drop today/tomorrow? I wanna start a new game...

If it does, it's almost certainly the same build as A17.4 Experimental, which you can get now.

If this helps, I've continued A17.3 games on it without issue so far.

It makes you feel like a badass. They hear stuff and you stay in the shadows and wonder if they will find you, they say things like "did you hear that" "who's there", etc. They look for you once you fire an arrow their way. You do extra damage when stealthed. Stealth kills with custom anims. The system makes you feel like a badass and is easy to understand. What's not to like?

Makes me jump in the wayback machine, ever played 'Thief' back in the day? That game, eventhough outdated now, really had me due to the stealth aspect, the shadowmeter. I never really played Skyrim but it must kinda be the same experience.

zombie players ACTING as bosses controlling other zeds..... I can dream

When I read this I went: "Haha... hmmm... That is a GREAT idea!" Might be for a later game though, as I think TFP want to get this gold and out the door.

*** At Al's Marina and Burrito Bar, we give this post our highest recommendation of: 5 meat-like substance burritos! Our meat-like substance burritos are guaranteed not to kill you immediately (depending how you define 'Immediate').

Hey TFP did you notice the new terrain tools at Unity blog they announced 3 days ago? Looks very interesting for 7d2d

A set of in-editor static terrain sculpting tools would be, and I cannot stress this enough, completely and utterly useless for a dynamic voxel based terrain system.

If possible the carbine m4a1 and the caliber 50 of a sniper rifle m82a1?

Just picking this (could have picked many other posts) and saying, DayZ went downhill the moment they started to listen to everyone and his grandma's wishes for more guns, better weapon sway, new weapon sounds .... over all the weapon this, weapon that, DayZ forgot to work on game mechanics and in the end became no more than a somewhat realistic weapon show with hardly any replay value.

So I'd strongly suggest NOT to only go for gun, gun, gun .... the remainder of the game needs love as well

A set of in-editor static terrain sculpting tools would be, and I cannot stress this enough, completely and utterly useless for a dynamic voxel based terrain system.

It allows to manually create terrain features. Of course it would be usable within the right workflow.

The whole random world generation is using a 2D terrain-map in 7DtD. So does Navezgane.

So a tool like that could be used to create custom maps, or parts of custom maps, that then need to get populated with POIs, biomes, water etc.

Fair point but if you're just exporting a splatmap there are already far better and more mature tools out there.

I was referring more to the terrain-hightmap here.

If its included in Unity (basically free then), I could write a converter to generate a 7DtD world-map from that. And also somehow convert the splatmap to the biome map and road map. (and maybe painting in the location of towns as part of the splatmap)

I was referring more to the terrain-hightmap here.

If its included in Unity (basically free then), I could write a converter to generate a 7DtD world-map from that. And also somehow convert the splatmap to the biome map and road map. (and maybe painting in the location of towns as part of the splatmap)

You couldn't use editor tools at runtime and generating terrain within the editor is the short road to bug-city and a system freeze, although you could pregenerate a splatmap to use and the conversion _should_ be relatively simple. If you're pregenerating a map then there are several free unity extensions out there that do a far better job and some can even generate splatmaps at runtime.

The unity terrain tools have always been the most basic of systems and the recent additions don't add a hell of a lot of depth and functionality.

Most certainly possible but there are far better options available.

I would like to see a Valley Girl Z with a Pocket Purse that holds an ankle biter,

After you kill her the Ankle Biter breaks free from the purse & comes after your ankles,

I call it the,

Paris Hilton Z...

Dude, apart from the joke, the essence of this idea is pretty cool.

Killing a zombie boss that spawns (drops from him) a couple of little zombies. Maybe when the highly radiated areas are in, they could do a mutated (something) that haves that ability.

- - - Updated - - -

Some screens from dev team:

The new icons are looking damn fine

You couldn't use editor tools at runtime and generating terrain within the editor is the short road to bug-city and a system freeze, although you could pregenerate a splatmap to use and the conversion _should_ be relatively simple. If you're pregenerating a map then there are several free unity extensions out there that do a far better job and some can even generate splatmaps at runtime.

The unity terrain tools have always been the most basic of systems and the recent additions don't add a hell of a lot of depth and functionality.

Most certainly possible but there are far better options available.

Sure, its not for runtime editing of the actual ingame voxel terrain, but would be rather used to outline the world in a first step (creating the large-scale features), and then use another editor to adjust it, place POIs etc.

Not sure how they edit their Navezgane map. If thats a special ingame mode (editing terrain-voxels ingame and then writing it back to a hightmap) or just a multi-step process using a classic terrain editor as described.

<snipped for space>

Nave is a hand-crafted splatmap whereas RWG is a runtime generated splatmap as far as I know.

An image is created and the voxel terrain built from that.

It shouldn't be too hard to get real-world terrain data and have a voxel representation of your own city.

Archived