Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

My current favorite design is:

Create crafting groups: shotguns, pistols, rifles, automatic weapons, tools, knives, etc. Why? Because I don't want to grind through crafting brown gyrocopters, so a vehicle group needs to exist.

Crafting items in these categories gives XP and raises the skill level for that crafting group.

Items have a crafting difficulty such as 0 (stone), -1 (iron) -3 (steel)

Specific perks like shotgun messiah can give you +1,+2 depending on rank to shotgun crafting skill.

Intellect attribute can give global bonuses like 5 = +1, = 7 = +2, etc

Examples: You could be at skill level 4 on tools, and be crafting green stone axes. But iron tools are -1, so you could only craft yellow iron tools, and steel is -2 so you could craft orange.

If that same player had intellect 5 +1 to quality he would craft blue stone axes, green iron tools and yellow steel tools.

If that same character had miner 69r it could give him +1 to tool crafting, so he would craft blue stone axes, (blue is max craftable), blue iron, and green steel.

Pink is legendary & uncraftable, loot only.

I can get behind 99% of that, actually. I don't mind groups, as long as they make sense. No more stone axes to learn concrete...love that.

Never will be ever be a fan of earning perks via levels, but with this system I can /personally/ go back to book learning. Now, if perks were given at character creation to make a build, then xp gains via doing could build upon that, I'd be a happy guppy.

...but I gotta say, the system you just described is very, very nice.

So are these mad dreams or is it gonna happen?

- - - Updated - - -

I can confirm one new zombie that will have special behavior.

Y'all have been talkin about Block Busters since the start, so I'm going to guess it's that.

Zombie Rabbits that will eat all your crops! ;)

Do want.

Or, at least some way for your farm to be threatened.

That reminds me. I and others have suggested seasonal weather, which could (among other things?) threaten your crops.

Has this been seriously considered (even if it's been rejected)? If not, any chance it could be?

Do want.

Or, at least some way for your farm to be threatened.

That reminds me. I and others have suggested seasonal weather, which could (among other things?) threaten your crops.

Has this been seriously considered (even if it's been rejected)? If not, any chance it could be?

once upon a day (a long long time ago).... we used to have animals and zombies trash our gardens if we didnt have them fenced in.

but some complaints were launched and it is now a fond memory.

(would love to see the threat back again) :)

once upon a day (a long long time ago).... we used to have animals and zombies trash our gardens if we didnt have them fenced in.

But why make changes based on complaints when the complaints are as petty as this? I've seen some legitimate complaining going on about bigger things and it's hard to get anybody to even consider changing things these days. Must've been a different era.... but no wonder nobody really listens now with things like that in the history books.

I'm with ya, I hope it comes back also.

I can get behind 99% of that, actually. I don't mind groups, as long as they make sense. No more stone axes to learn concrete...love that.

Never will be ever be a fan of earning perks via levels, but with this system I can /personally/ go back to book learning. Now, if perks were given at character creation to make a build, then xp gains via doing could build upon that, I'd be a happy guppy.

...but I gotta say, the system you just described is very, very nice.

So are these mad dreams or is it gonna happen?

- - - Updated - - -

Y'all have been talkin about Block Busters since the start, so I'm going to guess it's that.

Its a mad dream that is getting some traction. The hard part is communicating to the player what your crafting ability is and why. It might need another menu showing your skills and where all the contributing factors are coming from, which could be some work.

The easier way is to just move each craft to its governing perk, so with rank 5 of shotgun messiah your crafting blue shotguns, like now with INT.

EDIT: Nice guess.

The ONLY reason we changed it was the server would lag when animals zeds ran through the big corn fields. Performance kills all cool ideas lol.

But why make changes based on complaints when the complaints are as petty as this? I've seen some legitimate complaining going on about bigger things and it's hard to get anybody to even consider changing things these days. Must've been a different era.... but no wonder nobody really listens now with things like that in the history books.

i suppose "complaint" is wrong choice of word (seeings how it may offend some) for what was more of a concern and there were certain bugs back then that were not worth working on... however... things are better code wise now so hopefully we may see something like this happen again.

a lot was tried in the past and dropped for better/different designs.... thats what happens in development.

@Joel.... i also forgot about the lag but back then... my old POS pc was laggy when i turned it off at nights. :)

Is it a requirement to grow a beard once hired by The Fun Pimps?

i had beard for somewhere like 15 yrs now so TFP had nothing to do with mine :)

and for those curious... the redness of the pic was the damn web cam... i have brownish grey hair - more grey than brown now. :(

i suppose "complaint" is wrong choice of word (seeings how it may offend some) for what was more of a concern and there were certain bugs back then that were not worth working on... however... things are better code wise now so hopefully we may see something like this happen again.

a lot was tried in the past and dropped for better/different designs.... thats what happens in development.

@Joel.... i also forgot about the lag but back then... my old POS pc was laggy when i turned it off at nights. :)

Yeah Joel... c'mon now. Hook a dude up with some hardware.

LOL a potato doesn't log turn off early or late, but precisely when it means to. I remember the days when we ran defrag software every night and studied the clusters and wasted time trying to get rid of a few more fragments because back then it really slowed things down.

I have no idea why anyone would complain about it... but believe that they did.

Well, c'est la vie. Hopefully there will be some way to mod that back in.

EDIT: Whoops, missed Madmole's explanation. Makes sense.

Archived