Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I'm thinking it needs to be a single cube that instantly spreads to fill spaces, but the more it spreads the lower the height.

Yes, that would be the perfect water. I'd love that.

The problem is that you either need to calculate the entire surface of a body of water at once or you get a break in the surface and first you need to evaluate the water in 3D if some flows "out the bottom" into a tunnel which would propagate a hole back to the surface, which would then have to flow back together, fill that one block, at which point it could again flow down to fill more of the tunnel and...

The perfect idea is also the costliest because you have way more recursion then there is now. ;)

For an impossible problem like this, hacks and workarounds are more likely to do the job. It's suboptimal but doesn't completely kill the game...

I'm pretty sure that's kind of intentional. It stops you cutting a hole in the side of a pond and eventually flooding several square kilometres of land. Kind of like the flooding of the Mediterranean sea if the Atlantic ocean was a swimming pool in someone's back yard.

Good point. Exhaustion of the flood fill can't be the reason though if I see a block missing in a lake because a zombie died in there. Essentially the missing block or blocks are 1 block away from LOTS of water blocks.

Good point. Exhaustion of the flood fill can't be the reason though if I see a block missing in a lake because a zombie died in there. Essentially the missing block or blocks are 1 block away from LOTS of water blocks.

This is why I said "kind of" intentional. I'd be very surprised if the holes weren't a bug introduced during the removal of the water spawning mechanism.

Meh, spoilage is just another thing to micro manage that I don't think adds anything to the game. Spoilage would not make it so that hunger does not get 'solved' at some point. All it would accomplish IMHO, is make me do more micro managing to solve it. If you want to remove the solution to hunger than that would require ending farming - not something that I think would be a good thing either.

Exactly. I nerfed healing from meds some, so you might use more food to survive. Eggs and feathers are getting a nerf yet too.

Food inflation already kills farming, and since you recognize this is not a good thing, this alone adds to the list of SBD's benefits. Because after the player stockpiles enormous amounts of food (which is easily done even with 25% loot settings), there is no reason to farm for food, hunt animals (other than getting bones), and the worst - a big percentage of loot (that is food related) becomes "trash" - whereas SBD would make canned food a valuable long duration resource.

<snipped for space>

This is literally the only compelling reason I've found to have SBD and I really can't think of a better way to balance food inflation.

I'm normally all for more complex mechanics but it will annoy a lot of people if handled incorrectly.

This is literally the only compelling reason I've found to have SBD and I really can't think of a better way to balance food inflation.

I'm normally all for more complex mechanics but it will annoy a lot of people if handled incorrectly.

Did you see Roland's post? Sums up all the reasons more or less. Also there is no reason for it not to be optional - I believe it is worth the fuss implementing it.

Well said brother, well said.

As a personal aside, my 15 year old nephew was recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease, but even after two emergency room visits complete with feeding tubes, etc. is in denial of his situation. At this point I am struggling with what to even offer as advice. He has ignored the doctor, his parents, twin brother and his other aunts and uncles.

I cured my leaky gut by finding out what foods I'm allergic to, rotating my foods I can eat every 4 days, getting on supplements, lowering stress. I always exercised but if he isn't he should start. I think the best cure is giving someone purpose and having a plan using natural remedies and smart lifestyle changes. Most doctors just put you on meds and give you basic advice. You have to find a good holistic practitioner who's giving you nutritional advice, but they can prescribe meds too so they are at least an high level nursing degree with degrees in nutrition and exercise. Otherwise you are getting one dimensional advice. You need to treat this with medicine, lifestyle and natural methods, and mental approach. Strip the diet down to get it under control then add back foods and watch for triggers. Its not fun but if you want to live a healthy life it becomes second nature and when you get better, its ALL worth it, trust me. Having a healthy gut improves immune system, emotional well being, etc. You are what you eat isn't very far from the truth. I hope this helps.

The problem is that you either need to calculate the entire surface of a body of water at once or you get a break in the surface and first you need to evaluate the water in 3D if some flows "out the bottom" into a tunnel which would propagate a hole back to the surface, which would then have to flow back together, fill that one block, at which point it could again flow down to fill more of the tunnel and...

The perfect idea is also the costliest because you have way more recursion then there is now. ;)

For an impossible problem like this, hacks and workarounds are more likely to do the job. It's suboptimal but doesn't completely kill the game...

The simple solution is a 2d water plane and land claim water :)

Food inflation already kills farming, and since you recognize this is not a good thing, this alone adds to the list of SBD's benefits. Because after the player stockpiles enormous amounts of food (which is easily done even with 25% loot settings), there is no reason to farm for food, hunt animals (other than getting bones), and the worst - a big percentage of loot (that is food related) becomes "trash" - whereas SBD would make canned food a valuable long duration resource.

Balance can do wonders.

How? It doesn't do anything different. It develops holes, it does not flow where you would expect water to flow...

It flows 2x as far from it's spawn block but AFAIK that's it.

It's different, and better, for many reasons.

1 it flows in a consistent and predictable way

2 it moves items and entities that are in its flow

3 items and entities float in water

4 rafts work

5 when you take a bucket of water out of a lake, it is refilled instantly, and the same happens when you break a block in said lake, with the condition that two blocks around it are water

Another week, another topic to get all nerd ragey about... Remember when people used play games for fun? That was cool. Just say'n.

I put all the symptoms of this forum into WebMD... it's cancer.

It predicts we have no more than 80-90 years to live, 120 tops.

Balance can do wonders.

How are you intending to balance this without SBD?

Once you have a farm that produces one more of an item than you need it's only a matter of time before the stockpile becomes huge. You can delay this by fine-tuning but that's not really a balance.

Balance can do wonders.

How do you want to balance that?

Balancing food to be consumed more, by making it replace health items and giving less nutrition: it is thus making the beginning quite harder, but still making food a non issue in late game.

I dont see solving the item inflation with some simple balancing changes.

It need a more complex logic (thus the suggestion with food spoilage that is a natural drain also in late game).

The player should have basically two alternatives:

#1 the "good food" that spoils but gives good buffs

#2 the "emergency food" that does not spoil (canned) but has some negative effect

Also, the mechanic of spoiling alone (even if its relatively slow) would keep players from stockpiling food, and rather consuming (and regaining) it on time.

Remove the acceleration on the stairs Uphill please! Acceleration on the stairs downhill is normaly )

Ladders as well

Are you guys high? Or were you just born that way?

J/k but why would you want that removed? You can run up stairs and speed climb irl so...

Something vaguely related to the topic of food spoilage being discussed...

I think it would be cool and help vary the food stuff if the cooking perks allowed you to turn the variety of canned foods you find in loot in to something substantially more useful. Right now those items are some of the most disappointing loot in the game. It's kinda funny to me that I'm super happy to find sham sandwiches now, and that's simply because of the Sham Chowder recipe. I'd really like to see the rest of the canned food items get the same treatment.

Something vaguely related to the topic of food spoilage being discussed...

I think it would be cool and help vary the food stuff if the cooking perks allowed you to turn the variety of canned foods you find in loot in to something substantially more useful. Right now those items are some of the most disappointing loot in the game. It's kinda funny to me that I'm super happy to find sham sandwiches now, and that's simply because of the Sham Chowder recipe. I'd really like to see the rest of the canned food items get the same treatment.

With food spoilage the canned good would automatically have a higher value: as a reserve that can be stockpiled.

Its like free toiletpaper that is a bit rough, always an incentive to take more, but little reason to actually use it (apart from an emergency, then its good to have).

Madmole could you please address why controllers don't work as well in A17 and if your team can improve controller function. I currently can't play the game due to the inability to target/grab objects quickly or hit zombies accurately.

I’d be careful. You want food maintenance harder... the campfire might not automatically pull out your items one day. In some future build, all your food burns because you weren’t watching it.

Just saying... someone could come along some day with this very idea and post it.

How are you intending to balance this without SBD?

Once you have a farm that produces one more of an item than you need it's only a matter of time before the stockpile becomes huge. You can delay this by fine-tuning but that's not really a balance.

Zeds can trample your crops, deer etc. Make anemia a thing so getting cut causes amemia if you don't get some meat. So farming might solve hunger but you need some meat too. I'm generally talking about loot though, and making bandages harder to get so you might eat more food to restore your health. Nerf the health regen perks.

Join the two ideas together. If enough blocks are together they are replaced by a single plane/object If there are any openings made on the edge/surface of the object, put a water block there with physics. The whole body of water doesn’t need to have physics, just the edges and only when needed.

Archived