Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

As for taking the xp bar away that won't help. It will just annoy people and they'll all mod it back in.

You'll find hundreds of people annoyed at anything taken away again. Only a small percentage really makes the effort to mod it back in. And the ones that really do have just followed the First Rule of 7 Days Club: Mod it

You'll find hundreds of people annoyed at anything taken away again. Only a small percentage really makes the effort to mod it back in. And the ones that really do have just followed the First Rule of 7 Days Club: Mod it

Why not leave it in, bump up the damage that zombies do, and decrease the experience reward? I don't play single player, but have to agree that even on MP we farm zombies for XP. I don't know that this is necessarily a huge game breaker for my group, but I can see how it does deviate a bit from what I thought was the orginal intent of the game.

Maybe there should be a Creative/Survival/Action game types?

@MADMOLE

Myself and everyone I've showed it to ABSOLUTELY LOVE A17. honestly I would like to see all these haters go pull this ♥♥♥♥ on a AAA title that "they payed for" and see if there bitching falls on burning ears there.

TFP. YOU make the game that YOU envisioned, you can't make everyone happy, and the complainers will always be the first to type up a storm. the fact is that through the journey of 7 days to die you have never let us down where it counted. I'm worried you give these cry-babies too much credit. don't let them get in your head!

love you guys, keep up the amazing work!

I am glad that you and your group of friends agree with each other. It very well may be why you are a group of friends.

Now, for the other 330 million people in this country we have different opinions. Some people like the changes, some do not.

I am not quite sure that they give cry babies too much credit, as I have not seen any great endorsement of your logic, but I will clue you in to a little secret kid; those complainers are the people that pay the bills. You kind of have to please your customers. You'll hear that in your ninth grade economics class.

A18 is looking to taste like good old 7 Days again...

But hunger continues as week after week goes by and we now into the third(ish) month since last major update ?

I thought the process of updating from here on wards was going to be swifter & easier etc. I can see a lot of art and coding being done (probably yet to be done as well) can not help thinking we looking at least 6 months till A18 hits us which feels agonising considering the year(and over?) we waited for A17 to land.

Its a zombie killing game always has been. If we take away the xp bar maybe people will just play the game. Its not a race to unlock a perk. With pretty much all crafting ungated by perks in A18 I don't think people will be racing to level as much.

Maybe take away the whole xp stuff. It's not gonna work very well anyways. You're just chasing your own tail trying to integrate it in a way that fits the game. ;-P Action-Bound xp just hurts your game. I never thought I'd say this, but Roland had a great idea - "Daily Skillpoint For Surviving".

Link to his mod:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?114413-0XP-RolMod

A18 is looking to taste like good old 7 Days again...

But hunger continues as week after week goes by and we now into the third(ish) month since last major update ?

I thought the process of updating from here on wards was going to be swifter & easier etc. I can see a lot of art and coding being done (probably yet to be done as well) can not help thinking we looking at least 6 months till A18 hits us which feels agonising considering the year(and over?) we waited for A17 to land.

You do realize that you lament about them failing the release date for A18 long before they failed the release date? :cocksure:

Player 1: Ready for this l33t dungeon crawl?

Player 2: Are you crazy?! We score a free skill point in two hours. I’m not moving until I get it.

In 2 hours you can: mine resources, fix your base, manage your inventory, paint your home, craft things...or just have some balls and risk it! :)

Personally, I think the xp on the zombies is fine, it's the 'risk' that is missing, and how we approach and view the zombies now.

In the early builds, getting the "infection" actually caused a sense of dread and urgency. Then it was a priority to find antibiotics to cure it, because the antibiotics were rare and turned into the first real goal of trying to get a mini stockpile of them throughout the game.

It wasn't until the mid/later part of the game, to where you had a decent supply of them, that the zombie smashing really started to take place (at least for me).

That sense of urgency is missing now, not because I'm so much better at the game, but the 'fear' of getting infected is pretty much gone.

Sure, we can still die at the hands of the zombies now, if we are caught unawares, or we did something risky to get pummeled to death, or failed to bring enough bandages, but they really are nothing more than targets at a shooting gallery now, little risk involved.

I remember quite a few times, fighting zeds, wining the confrontation, only to get infected in the process, then the new urgency and need of finding a way to cure. This often resulted in traveling, looting, fighting more zeds in the process (if I didn't have the materials to make the antibiotics on hand) because just getting all the ingredients together, or finding the antibiotics themselves, was longer to come by, which made the threat of getting infected meaningful.

Now? It's nothing more than an after thought, after the first couple/few days in game at best, and that it's basically impossible for the infection to kill you.

It's nothing more than an after thought, after the first couple/few days in game at best, and that it's basically impossible for the infection to kill you.

True, there's no real risk - fortunately they said that they will rework the disease system. It's a mess atm.

But even if it worked great, antibiotics were actually a valuable commodity and there was a large change of getting infected and die... why exactly would anyone care if death itself, the end result, is of no or little consequence?

Hopefully, they will add an option for a more severe DP. And those who decide to pick it shall reap the long-term benefits they do or don't know they need. Let the rest enjoy the short-term :>

True, there's no real risk - fortunately they said that they will rework the disease system. It's a mess atm.

But even if it worked great, antibiotics were actually a valuable commodity and there was a large change of getting infected and die... why exactly would anyone care if death itself, the end result, is of no or little consequence?

Hopefully, they will add an option for a more severe DP. And those who decide to pick it shall reap the long-term benefits they do or don't know they need. Let the rest enjoy the short-term :>

hehe.

Even back in the early builds 'Death', didn't really have all that much meaning then. Getting the 'infection' however, sparked a sense of urgency, that pushed you to get it cured, even if it didn't have a penalty if you died from it. ;)

..and I do want a real penalty upon death at some point.

Drop on death: Delete All

I'm more partial to you lose everything. You spawn as a fresh character, but your old dead character's fort is still in the game world, all the chests are empty, forge broken and so on..like it was raided.

but that's more for just my taste. Others can handle it other ways, I'd just be happy for my version to be a difficulty setting, among the others they already have.

hehe.

Even back in the early builds 'Death', didn't really have all that much meaning then. Getting the 'infection' however, sparked a sense of urgency, that pushed you to get it cured, even if it didn't have a penalty if you died from it. ;)

Go play on a PvP server...there is definitely a penalty. At least vs other players for the most part.

hehe.

Losing wellness on death was a good start. In the current scheme, maybe death should lower max health and it can only regen over time rather than being raised with medical items. Right now death is just annoying.

Go play on a PvP server...there is definitely a penalty. At least vs other players for the most part.

Oh, I have plenty of times. It just doesn't hold my interest yet, to stay playing on a PvP server. That's another topic though.

Oh, I have plenty of times. It just doesn't hold my interest yet, to stay playing on a PvP server. That's another topic though.

I understand, but it is interesting how some of the game dynamics change when some of the enemies are other players.

Maybe take away the whole xp stuff. It's not gonna work very well anyways. You're just chasing your own tail trying to integrate it in a way that fits the game. ;-P Action-Bound xp just hurts your game. I never thought I'd say this, but Roland had a great idea - "Daily Skillpoint For Surviving".

Link to his mod:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?114413-0XP-RolMod

I felt the back-handed sting of that compliment. But it is appreciated. My cheek will heal. :)

Player 1: Ready for this l33t dungeon crawl?

Player 2: Are you crazy?! We score a free skill point in two hours. I’m not moving until I get it.

In theory I guess. But in actually playing it that thought never once dawned on me....partly due to the fact that I never expect to die in any l33t dungeon-- until I do.

Honestly, once xp is gone you really don't think about doing things for any other reason than for the primary game-related purpose of doing them.

I don't see this logic. Punish the guys who risk their lives doing the most dangerous thing in the game? Its a zombie killing game always has been. If we take away the xp bar maybe people will just play the game. Its not a race to unlock a perk. With pretty much all crafting ungated by perks in A18 I don't think people will be racing to level as much.

That is the real Game rigth now.

the meta Game goal is farm the Max amount of XP to Craft a Jeep And build a super uber base by day 15. And thats It.. the Game ends.

Yes.. you have..quests.. And lots of realy nice POI but only for searching mods and top tier weapons..And them barely nothing can kill you.

Nerf the amount of food/gas and bullets in the world

Put extreme dificult quest to force players to win in creative ways.with realy good rewards. Like a "workbrench" for bullets. Or a POI thats produces x amount of fuel per day. You need to defend It by the way. This are dinamic objetives.optional if you want more fuel

sorry for the inglish.

Why not leave it in, bump up the damage that zombies do, and decrease the experience reward? I don't play single player, but have to agree that even on MP we farm zombies for XP. I don't know that this is necessarily a huge game breaker for my group, but I can see how it does deviate a bit from what I thought was the orginal intent of the game.

Maybe there should be a Creative/Survival/Action game types?

You can literally do all that in the game settings already...

I like Roland's no XP idea. The only thing I fear from the idea of removing XP completely is what that would mean for horde night.

Without much loot reward, the only incentive of defending a base on horde night is if you have built it in such a way that you can harvest maximum XP. Otherwise, it's just a waste of resources.

A solution might be to award skill points only after horde nights, and only if you remain within some radius of your main landclaim block for the duration of the blood moon. The landclaim block must not be destroyed either. This would give some real purpose to having and protecting your landclaim block in single player, not to mention a reason for defending a base. The zombie AI could also be extended to target the landclaim block sometimes.

This might actually be good as a mod and I would much prefer posting this as an idea in the mods section, or even in Roland's thread... but I don't think the right hooks exist to put it together this way. As far as I know, there are no practical ways to adjust the AI and LCBs like this.

Archived