Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Will there be additional block shapes comming in A18?

I know many deem this minor. But it is somthing I have wanted for awhile... I think I got spoiled a little by Empyrion...

Not sure, I don't make all the shapes any more.

But killing zombies gives you pretty much nothing(unless you loot around), while all the other activities allow you for quick leveling as well and getting crapload of resources. Mining in A17.2 is godlike.

Well zombies do give you a respectable amount of XP, but considering they come to your door, in droves, are infinite and die rather fast at default settings it easily makes them the best way to level early on. Which is why a lot of people complain about "the game becoming a zombie grind". Loot containers are few and finite and can't exactly be used to "farm exp".

Yes, as I said, mining later on, when you get the perks and tools that increase your block damage, becomes the fastest way to level.

The problem is that if they are not balanced most players will be inclined to do an activity to farm XP and ruin their own experience. That's just what happens - not only in this game... And they have to be balanced depending on XP/time, mostly ignoring resource gain, as counter-intuitive as that may sound. As for zombies they should award minimal or no XP imo.

Ya but the uninformed will probably be blindsided. I can see it now

"WTF, I just started a new game and they are dropping another patch!!! This is how not to do EA! I want a refund! They've been in EA for 27 years and now they start updating regularly! I'm calling my congressman about this! They are bending us over and......" Then comes the negative steam reviews, steam discussions, loss of self esteem, foreclosure on their houses, deforestation, mass extinction, and nuclear winter for 10,000 years.

I typically put those types on ignore or ban them. No time for immaturity. People know what EA means, and this is not exclusive to this game either. So many other games i own when i check their discussions any major update requiring a wipe is met with hatred.

Oddly enough in situations like Ark where wipes dont happen for over a year eventually people start begging for wipes so cant win there.

Its actually gotten better in 17.2 it is decently hard to amass a massive amount of dukes now, at least by just selling stuff. I find I am actually using the quest system more to make dukes than I used to before. even with 4 in better barter, they still don't pay much for goods.

Nooooooo don't tell them there is still a way to make any kind of decent money.... they will fix it too!

Nooooooo don't tell them there is still a way to make any kind of decent money.... they will fix it too!

Its not THAT good, its very time consuming and alot of running back and forth. Depends how lucky you get with RWG, sometimes you can have a bunch of poi's pretty close in the early tiers. Early game there is no way i'm running 2km+ for 500 dukes for the quest completion if money is my main goal. Though they are a semi-reliable way to get early iron or steel tools for free.

I typically put those types on ignore or ban them. No time for immaturity. People know what EA means, and this is not exclusive to this game either. So many other games i own when i check their discussions any major update requiring a wipe is met with hatred.

Oddly enough in situations like Ark where wipes dont happen for over a year eventually people start begging for wipes so cant win there.

Never underestimate how brainless people can be though. I see more people buying into a EA game then complaining its not finished constantly than anything else. Its like, the page itself says its a game still in the early stages and missing features but some (actually most sadly) people just do not seem to read that and expect a fullly complete game in EA/Alpha/Beta.

This tells me that you don't play on PvP and maybe this exposes another issue of multiplayer vs singleplayer. Maybe the materials economy needs to be adjusted between those two considering. Expecting someone to tackle a level 6 AK-47 with a spiked club has not tried to survive on a PvP server. Not a criticism, but it has to be considered in the conversation of changing the game.

You would be correct as PvP is another animal altogether. I belive MM has stated they are not actively balancing things for PvP though because SP is still not complete.

I also do not get the impression that most of the bone complaints are coming from PvP players. Even your post did not mention PvP but just multiplayer. The PvP player base I would venture is very small.

More players only mean that you can search the same area in a shorter time but not that more loot will be dropped.

It doesn't matter if 10 players or a singple player loot a house. The loot stays the same.

As mentioned before, the best option is to use the zombie respawn in buildings like the Doggos. With "The Huntsman" on 5 you get up to 60 bones out of this building. That's 60 glue / tape. You would have to search a lot of trash cans and garbage bags to find 60 tapes.

Sure it does because those players can loot 10 buildings in the time it takes one player to loot 1. Even more so as you can have one player as a killing machine, another that produces the most awesome weapons and another that is a master at looting. I actually find using dogs as rather inefficient - there are a few POI's that spawn a crap ton of corpses to process. You can clear those really fast. I have not tried a screamer setup in the wasteland though - I imagine that would bring a crap ton of dogs to you.

Then again, I have never certed huntsman so if that perk does not effect bodies then that would be WAY different. That reinforces my point though - due to the lack of points in general, certing huntsman is just not going to happen with the AMPLE supply of all animal resources - bones, fat, meat and leather. With multiple players though that cert is WAY more effective because only one guy really needs it. So, instead of getting all those intellect perks, one guy can be the farmer.

You are not getting a little more resources in a group - the potential is there for a LOT more.

Ya but the uninformed will probably be blindsided. I can see it now

"WTF, I just started a new game and they are dropping another patch!!! This is how not to do EA! I want a refund! They've been in EA for 27 years and now they start updating regularly! I'm calling my congressman about this! They are bending us over and......" Then comes the negative steam reviews, steam discussions, loss of self esteem, foreclosure on their houses, deforestation, mass extinction, and nuclear winter for 10,000 years.

Hey, don't joke - I had my update woes last week. My game decided it was going to update - downloaded and everything. I was stoked as hell because 17.3 finally was here and RWG was supposed to get some love and I really want to see the perk system rework. I immediately started a new game and went to town. After the first quests, went to level and.... same ♥♥♥♥. What was going on?

Come to find out that after wiping and prepping to try 17.3, steam was ♥♥♥♥ing with me. Still do not know what it was doing when it claimed it was downloading and updating my game but clearly 17.3 was not here yet :(

- - - Updated - - -

We're not getting rid of crucibles, but we might add mods to enhance workstations as well. Some gates, some mods. Not all gates like now. You'll get a forge and be able to do most anything slowly. With mods you will make less heat, smelt faster, and unlock steel with a crucible.

*Might*

Please do - mods open up so much when looting and setting things up. EVERYTHING should have mods :D

Any plans to improve traps at all? for example wood/iron spikes do such little damage now that they aren't really worth using. Even more so now with the zombies pathing properly most of the spikes don't even get used as they all tend to funnel down the same path.

Come to find out that after wiping and prepping to try 17.3, steam was ♥♥♥♥ing with me. Still do not know what it was doing when it claimed it was downloading and updating my game but clearly 17.3 was not here yet :(

Yes I hate when steam does that. I get all excited and then I see that it's updating all my games. I'm like wtf. It's weird and happens randomly. Updates are super tiny too, like 1mb.

JOEL, if there are no restrictions for creating vehicles, what will force us to use a bike or minibike? Everyone will just ride motorcycles and jeeps, isn't there? )

What do you mean "will"? It already works like that in 17.2.

What do you mean "will"? It already works like that in 17.2.

No, it does not. It is currently level gated so there are large swaths of time where you either get a bike or hoof it. I usually skip to the minibike anyway but that is because looting is mostly broken so not doing much of that from the get go.

I assume there are skill point gates for each individual vehicle still so that may be enough to encourage use of the 'lower level' modes of travel.

No, it does not. It is currently level gated so there are large swaths of time where you either get a bike or hoof it. I usually skip to the minibike anyway but that is because looting is mostly broken so not doing much of that from the get-go.

I assume there are skill point gates for each individual vehicle still so that may be enough to encourage the use of the 'lower level' modes of travel.

Half and half, the perk itself, allows you to CRAFT the vehicle parts but, you no longer actually need the perk to actually assemble a vehicle. So if you find/ loot vehicle parts and have a workbench you can indeed assemble it. The vehicle parts, if you want to craft them, are level gated behind the perk.

Hey Gazz what have you been working on lately?

Oh, ruining forges, fixing forges, bad puns, changing forges yet again, haggling with coders over new features and how they need to be implemented, haggling with Joel and/or the designer group over what features are intended to do and why, writing the XML to make perks / magazines do what they are supposed to, playing Ark, fixing bugs, setting up block data for new models or the occasional request from level designers.

You know, stuff?

No, it does not. It is currently level gated so there are large swaths of time where you either get a bike or hoof it. I usually skip to the minibike anyway but that is because looting is mostly broken so not doing much of that from the get go.

In 17.2, "creating vehicles", as the post stated, is not gated at all other than requiring a workbench.

Crafting all the parts yourself and at will is gated by perks which is convenient but not required to build a vehicle.

Archived