madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

It really isn't that bad of an idea.

3hgjv9.jpg

You ever think that some times the men in black might be ♥♥♥♥ faced on the job and accidentally have the ♥♥♥♥♥ looking thing pointed the wrong way and accidentally use it on drunk self?........

Agent K: Agent J I think you might be a little to drun....

Agent J: naw man I'm good....

Agent K: *closes eyes*

Agent J: man I'm so...........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czI4d8ziaPA

Agent K: what was that?

Agent J: I don't remember...........

giphy.gif

Sorry for sounding negative here but what good does that micro splat map bring to the table that forces a rather good gaming pc to it's knees?

(I'm genuinely curious, not just old and grumpy)

It supports a lot of settings and modules, but we use it for triplanar and procedural blending of 24 textures with noise variations. Bottom line, the artists like it and say it looks much better.

It supports a lot of settings and modules, but we use it for triplanar and procedural blending of 24 textures with noise variations. Bottom line, the artists like it and say it looks much better.

Definitely don't disagree there, it makes the terrain/underground beautiful.

I did find a mod that removed the microsplat, kinda making the terrain look old school.

Average 70 FPS outdoors on the same settings as before on a higher resolution which previously I got 30 FPS on a lower resolution.

40 - 60 FPS on high-textures on a slightly higher resolution (1600x900).

I did this on GLcore, though, haven't had time to try it out on DX11. But, previously with the microsplat there was nominal difference between GLcore and DX11, infact the GLcore had stutters every 30 seconds or so, so unsure what to do with assumptions on that info lol.

I added a Terrain Quality slider which will be in A18.2.

Low - 3x3 terrain chunks. Simplified shader (testers have gotten up to x2 FPS and that was before the 3x3 reduction)

Medium - 3x3 terrain chunks

High - 4x4 terrain chunks

Ultra - 5x5 terrain chunks (what you have now)

Low - 3x3 terrain chunks. Simplified shader (testers have gotten up to x2 FPS and that was before the 3x3 reduction)

You are the man, Stan. As much as I like pretty, it's good to have options for those of us that don't have beast computers :)

Btw, your AI optmizations def do well with zombies. I spawned 75 demolishioners in my world just for funs, after the initial lag from the spawning, I maintained 30 FPS haha.

Again...music to my ears. Time will tell but I'm sure I'll be able to say, good job sir. :)

I think the distant texture for certain landscapes (especially forest) could use an updated version.

While the desert looks nice on distant vertical surfaces, the forest texture (stone on slopes) looks very tiled, and overshadows the terrains natural diffuse shading. It makes mountain-slopes look like a tiled blob in the distance.

A version with less contrast would help.

Definitely don't disagree there, it makes the terrain/underground beautiful.

I did find a mod that removed the microsplat, kinda making the terrain look old school.

Average 70 FPS outdoors on the same settings as before on a higher resolution which previously I got 30 FPS on a lower resolution.

40 - 60 FPS on high-textures on a slightly higher resolution (1600x900).

I did this on GLcore, though, haven't had time to try it out on DX11. But, previously with the microsplat there was nominal difference between GLcore and DX11, infact the GLcore had stutters every 30 seconds or so, so unsure what to do with assumptions on that info lol.

Ohh. Do you remember the name or where you found it?

The terrain I could give less then 10 cents about how it looked and was perfectly happy with A15/16 looks :D

Would rather have that then a GPU that runs at 99% all the times with awful framerates.

Ohh. Do you remember the name or where you found it?

The terrain I could give less then 10 cents about how it looked and was perfectly happy with A15/16 looks :D

Would rather have that then a GPU that runs at 99% all the times with awful framerates.

It's on the discord of the darkness falls mod. Link is in their post in the modding section. I don't use discord, but I did for that occasion lol. Note, it may break your world a bit ground wise, but it shouldnt. Make a backup of your world just incase

It's on the discord of the darkness falls mod. Link is in their post in the modding section. I don't use discord, but I did for that occasion lol. Note, it may break your world a bit ground wise, but it shouldnt. Make a backup of your world just incase

I'll take a look and see what I can figure out :D Thanks!

Archived