Sign in to follow this  
madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I've been on a 2 week vacation following my wife around Europe. My main reason for going was to catch A-HA on their new tour. Saw them in Paris and Mannheim.

Went to France, Germany, Switzerland and Iceland for my wife's part of the vacation. ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30689[/ATTACH]

I was about to complain when I reminded myself that I went through burn out this year due to too long without a vacation, so enjoy.

Ah. Already have it set at low. Here's a screenshot of my exact settings, https://imgur.com/a/3PHqLC9

Most of the game is running at 60fps (even the large shotgun messiah factory), although generalky a lot more GPU is used from A17, but looking at the snowbiome shoots up the GPU usage to 99%, and framerate drops to the 30-40's.

Sounds like the new Micro Splat terrain shader we are using. It just does a lot more math for each rendered terrain pixel.

I made this change today, which should be in our next A18 experimental:

Added Terrain Quality video option (Lowest or Low switches to terrain shader variants with only Albedo/Alpha which renders much faster).

I will probably be doing some other tweaks too. Like terrain draw distance.

Sounds like the new Micro Splat terrain shader we are using. It just does a lot more math for each rendered terrain pixel.

Added Terrain Quality video option (Lowest or Low switches to terrain shader variants with only Albedo/Alpha which renders much faster).

NIIIICE now i can go in the snow biom...sweet! :)

come on MAN i don't need to hear that. im almost on my break lol!

I was raiding the Shamway factory last night and got caught out when I hopped up onto a pipe and woke about a dozen sleeping zombies. I ran outside onto a broad walkway/ledge to fight.

Unfortunately it was a good mix of construction workers, bikers, bloated women and tourists. Too many and too tough to kill at my low level (8) with my club. I used my grenades, then my molotovs, then my pipe bombs. Last resort I took out a stick of dynamite, lit, threw, and shut the vault door.

Boom.

I heard a lot of clanging and screaming and then... silence. I opened the door to a new, sudden drop of... well, it would have killed me to jump it. The whole ledge was gone, and I could see the bodies of some of the zombies at the bottom amongst the rubble.

Sometimes stupid ideas pay off!

I was raiding the Shamway factory last night and got caught out when I hopped up onto a pipe and woke about a dozen sleeping zombies. I ran outside onto a broad walkway/ledge to fight.

Unfortunately it was a good mix of construction workers, bikers, bloated women and tourists. Too many and too tough to kill at my low level (8) with my club. I used my grenades, then my molotovs, then my pipe bombs. Last resort I took out a stick of dynamite, lit, threw, and shut the vault door.

Boom.

I heard a lot of clanging and screaming and then... silence. I opened the door to a new, sudden drop of... well, it would have killed me to jump it. The whole ledge was gone, and I could see the bodies of some of the zombies at the bottom amongst the rubble.

Modern problems require Modern solutions!

The oven model / texture could be used, cut out, and have the fire burn in it.

Thats not that complicated to do.

There are lots of other high detail models in the game that most players dont interact with that often (lets say the crossbow)

But everyone interacts with the campfire.

One the early mods I did for FO4 was working ovens and bbq. Would be easy enough to add a recipe and use that model.

(change the model for the campfire and the craft recipe and violins, a workin stove)

Getting to light up though, um... nope.

Boom.

Fun times!

Boom.

Perfect "oh ♥♥♥♥ I'm gonna die - I'll take them with me! Wait, I didn't die?!" moment. Congrats.

Boom.

The modern-day Samson, lol

It's because TFP removed the latest experimental branch after release of 18.1, opting you out automatically. Then they readded it for 18.2.

Interesting, that would certainly explain it. That never happened before, hopefully it's a one-time thing.

One the early mods I did for FO4 was working ovens and bbq. Would be easy enough to add a recipe and use that model.

(change the model for the campfire and the craft recipe and violins, a workin stove)

Getting to light up though, um... nope.

There's already a mod out there that lets you create working ovens. Don't know if it works in A18 but it certainly did in the past, and it's XML only. Let me hunt it down, if I find it I'll update this post.

EDIT: Found a few modlets and threads, but the last working modlet only worked in A17 (I think). Anyway, should be easy enough to do if you read the info in all these threads:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?26847-Working-Stove

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?109199-Decorations-Plus

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?97301-Working-Oven-a17-Stable

EDIT 2: Very old but might work with a few tweaks:

EDIT 3: Of course Jax made one... don't know how I could forget: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?94906-JaxTeller718-Modlet-Collection

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

Any idea when the next update is coming? Looks like it's been quite a few iterations over the past week; I'm excited to see how many changes have been made.

I have an idea, add more types of doors and make a menu for them like a frame to select the appearance of the door, you can also make the doors central, and even as you idea to open the door you do not need to press "E" you can go into it as in far cry 5 gta 5 and somewhere else it was like that.

Whelp, just wrecked the Day 42 horde...Had a good number of cops and wights and even a couple of radiated. My kill box is way to efficient. Uploading video now. :)

I have an idea, add more types of doors and make a menu for them like a frame to select the appearance of the door, you can also make the doors central, and even as you idea to open the door you do not need to press "E" you can go into it as in far cry 5 gta 5 and somewhere else it was like that.

That would be great. I specifically wish there was a door that matched the bullet proof glass. A sliding door would be cool.

There's already a mod out there that lets you create working ovens. Don't know if it works in A18 but it certainly did in the past, and it's XML only. Let me hunt it down, if I find it I'll update this post.

EDIT: Found a few modlets and threads, but the last working modlet only worked in A17 (I think). Anyway, should be easy enough to do if you read the info in all these threads:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?26847-Working-Stove

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?109199-Decorations-Plus

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?97301-Working-Oven-a17-Stable

EDIT 2: Very old but might work with a few tweaks:

EDIT 3: Of course Jax made one... don't know how I could forget: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?94906-JaxTeller718-Modlet-Collection

Valmars working ovens and sinks have been updated to a18 as well

Whelp, just wrecked the Day 42 horde...Had a good number of cops and wights and even a couple of radiated. My kill box is way to efficient. Uploading video now. :)

Is it me or is youtube upload speeds horrendous lately? Started video upload before bed and I wake up and its still only at 62%. May need to check my reboot my hardware or check my ISP. Download speeds are fine, just upload is sufferring.

Is it me or is youtube upload speeds horrendous lately? Started video upload before bed and I wake up and its still only at 62%. May need to check my reboot my hardware or check my ISP. Download speeds are fine, just upload is sufferring.

Video is up!!!

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?135281-LazMan-vs-Day-42-Horde&p=1066645#post1066645

Things get interesting at the 8 minute mark when I turn off the electrical grid to test out my junk turret firing line...😂😂😂

That would be great. I specifically wish there was a door that matched the bullet proof glass. A sliding door would be cool.

I still got my fingers crossed for a working jail door

I would check my ISP first. I know the upload speed on mine is very unreliable. I see days and days where I'm only getting a fraction of what I'm paying for. Doesn't really affect most people because very few people utilize 1/10th of their upload but it would definitely mess with a decent sized YT upload.

I would check my ISP first. I know the upload speed on mine is very unreliable. I see days and days where I'm only getting a fraction of what I'm paying for. Doesn't really affect most people because very few people utilize 1/10th of their upload but it would definitely mess with a decent sized YT upload.

May have been my wifi. Hopefully resolved now. 👍