Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I added "Spike Red Blood Paint Removal" to the "Coming to 7 Days to Die" Section with this link.

Bad News: Been out for almost 6 days and have a ton of posts to catch up on.

(And I'll update the FAQ with everything I catch as well. Could take a couple days, especially since...)

Good news: I FINALLY got my new Gigabyte Aorus double oc'd NVidia RTX 2080 TI 11 GB!! (3rd order was the charm.) (Replaced 2 Gigabyte OC'd GTX 980+'s in 'auto' SLI.)

GREAT NEWS: It took me a while to get working with my slightly dated gaming rig - but it's in and configured.

AWESOMEIST NEWS! I am running 7D2D on Ultra High everything and it freakin kicks a$$!!! (Even in the snow biome.) I was so used to half textures, etc. It's like a whole new game! Warned the wife this probably means another 7K hours...

Now I KNOW I have to update the rest of the gaming rig... (The CPU is the bottleneck now...)

; - )

Congrats, that is one of the best feelings. I'm jelly. 😎👍

My ideal workstation scenario would be to have a base workstation, and satellite additions you can place nearby within a few blocks to improve aspects of it and/or add functionality. Start with a smelter, add an anvil for basic items, a bin for greater smelting capacity, etc.

It would be nice to easily know which direction a thing is facing before you place it. Especially say an iron hatch since there is 0 indication which direction the hatch is facing till you use it, see it opens the wrong way, and then spend awhile breaking it to retry placing a new one.

I know it was just an example but the iron hatch is actually rather easy once you know what to look for. With the square iron patch on it in the bottom right it opens away from you.

Mechanical Lens,

What’s your money making strategy in A18? I know you play longer days but that seems like a fair amount of coin for day 3.

If he's playing on 120min days you can easily complete 3 quests a day. After 3 or 4 quests you get the extra pay-out from tier 1 to tier 2 quests. I had the bicycle on day 1, and the cement mixer and chemy table at the trader on day 4.

If he's playing on 120min days you can easily complete 3 quests a day. After 3 or 4 quests you get the extra pay-out from tier 1 to tier 2 quests. I had the bicycle on day 1, and the cement mixer and chemy table at the trader on day 4.

in addition to quests, I also make out wheels, I earn a little on polymers

Will this fix the drastic drop in FPS in the snow biome or is that still being worked on?

Should I also use in game settings to control AF or continue allowing Nvdia to over ride the in game AF settings once patch is released?

It depends. Was AF making the snow biome very slow? Generally not unless your textures did not all fit in VRAM and the terrain textures ended up in system RAM, which then caused AF to be very slow.

You could already turn AF off with the gfx af console command. This will allow the players and us more graphics control since AF can be set to a variety of values now. gfx af only allows for off/on/forced max.

Some biomes are going to run slower than others, because different graphics are rendered in different biomes like mountains in snow. The testers made a chart of their FPS in each biome. Their ranges were 40-66, 58-96, 32-44, 29-59 (vsync), 32-47, 49-91 and 35-59 with snow always being the worse one. It needs more research.

Modder request: Please consider updating from Unity 2019.1.0f2 to a higher patch level of 2019.1 for A19 or go for 2019.3. 2019.1.0f2 has a nasty video component bug that screws the sound roll-off for distance on videos.

It depends. Was AF making the snow biome very slow? Generally not unless your textures did not all fit in VRAM and the terrain textures ended up in system RAM, which then caused AF to be very slow.

You could already turn AF off with the gfx af console command. This will allow the players and us more graphics control since AF can be set to a variety of values now. gfx af only allows for off/on/forced max.

Some biomes are going to run slower than others, because different graphics are rendered in different biomes like mountains in snow. The testers made a chart of their FPS in each biome. Their ranges were 40-66, 58-96, 32-44, 29-59 (vsync), 32-47, 49-91 and 35-59 with snow always being the worse one. It needs more research.

Turning of the new distant terrain has massive impact on almost all biomes, so probably will want to look at that. It seems to take a rather big chunk of fps, more than it should take and used to take with the old terrain. When using the gfx command you also see the warnings pop up again when its turned on.

Really hope you can track down the cause and tame the beast, I like the distant terrain but not at the expense of getting dizzy because the game suddenly becomes choppy when looking at to much of it.

Mechanical Lens,

What’s your money making strategy in A18? I know you play longer days but that seems like a fair amount of coin for day 3.

I'm currently playing on 90 minute days. My money making strategy early on consists of three methods:

1. Tier 1 Buried Supplies quests. They're quick, easy to find, nearby, and net you several hundred dukes per quest.

2. Looting when I'm not doing buried supplies quests and selling everything of value (armor I don't need, guns I won't use, old cash, silver/gold nuggets, etc.

3. Coolers. 8 polymers make one cooler, which is worth 60 dukes. I harvest every tire I see and turn a profit. I made and sold 20 of them on day 2 alone, netting me 1200 dukes

Honestly, making 7k in 3 days (on 90 minute days) isn't too hard; on 60 minute days, I probably would have made the same amount by day 5

- - - Updated - - -

*90 minutes. (: I restarted (again) after rediscovering my dislike for 120 minute days. Lol

My methods for gathering money are explained in my reply to Kosmic Kerman

I'm currently playing on 90 minute days. My money making strategy early on consists of three methods:

1. Tier 1 Buried Supplies quests. They're quick, easy to find, nearby, and net you several hundred dukes per quest.

2. Looting when I'm not doing buried supplies quests and selling everything of value (armor I don't need, guns I won't use, old cash, silver/gold nuggets, etc.

3. Coolers. 8 polymers make one cooler, which is worth 60 dukes. I harvest every tire I see and turn a profit. I made and sold 20 of them on day 2 alone, netting me 1200 dukes

Honestly, making 7k in 3 days (on 90 minute days) isn't too hard; on 60 minute days, I probably would have made the same amount by day 5

- - - Updated - - -

*90 minutes. (: I restarted (again) after rediscovering my dislike for 120 minute days. Lol

Thanks. The polymer tip is very helpful.

I added "Spike Red Blood Paint Removal" to the "Coming to 7 Days to Die" Section with this link.

Bad News: Been out for almost 6 days and have a ton of posts to catch up on.

(And I'll update the FAQ with everything I catch as well. Could take a couple days, especially since...)

Good news: I FINALLY got my new Gigabyte Aorus double oc'd NVidia RTX 2080 TI 11 GB!! (3rd order was the charm.) (Replaced 2 Gigabyte OC'd GTX 980+'s in 'auto' SLI.)

GREAT NEWS: It took me a while to get working with my slightly dated gaming rig - but it's in and configured.

AWESOMEIST NEWS! I am running 7D2D on Ultra High everything and it freakin kicks a$$!!! (Even in the snow biome.) I was so used to half textures, etc. It's like a whole new game! Warned the wife this probably means another 7K hours...

Now I KNOW I have to update the rest of the gaming rig... (The CPU is the bottleneck now...)

; - )

I meant "When can we expect XYZ feature?"

"When its done."

Nice about your new card!

Good show! Now that the shape builder is in place (awesome edition, by the way), the tablesaw now really does feel like "wasted space", imo. Although, quick question regarding the shape builder... How come wood frame stairs corner is in it, but you have to craft wood stairs from your inventory? :p Seems a bit odd to me.

Gazz set that up, I can only guess that the recipe is different?

@Madmole:

On the new game, I AM seeing more steel parts dropping, and day 20 the trader had the steel tools schematic.

Unfortunately my kill count and gamestage are artificially high because on the non stop base screamer hordes. I had enough perk points to unlock and craft the motorcycle in day 18, just a few days after crafting the minibike :/

I AM seeing way too many workstation schematics in them though... By day 20 I've probably found 5 cement mixer ones, and at least 4 workbench ones. (But I also do check every single one for loot as well.) Steel tool crafting seems a lot more accessible now.

I still haven't needed to craft a weapon at all though... I have a tier 4 junk turret (and I live the HELL out if them!), A tier 3 stun baton, a tier 4 unused steel sledge, and a tier 4 double barrel shotgun. Tier 3 and 4 weapons should be more rare under day 21 so that horde night is still a struggle. I already have my base reinforced concrete as well.

Nitrate seems a bit more scarce, and it's ground node is smaller than lead or iron... Can it be scaled up size wise to match the lead ground node?

Performance on the last build seems to have suffered a lot, but that might be the non stop screamers... I've even seen them when out n about exploring.

We'll nerf schematic drops to 20% from 25% and see how that works out.

You shouldn't NEED to craft a weapon of your specialization, you should WANT to. The idea is to drop enough crappy ones and parts that if you push your specialization and get your ranks up you can craft a decent blue, should the random gods have ignored your pleas. There is that odd game where nothing goes your way, or you get a blue pistol when you really want a shotgun. That is where crafting comes in IMO, in those two scenarios.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't he only buy 3 coolers at once?

If you see the Munching Carpet store or maybe that paper mill harvest all the tubes, I got quite a bit if money selling stacks of paper. I built a chest outside the trader to store the overstock and then sold on reset day :)

Archived