Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I can vouch for all of that - especially electric fencing. Man that stuff is useful. I put pictures somewhere in this blog, but I made a box of trigger plates/dart traps around the outside of my base with electric fencing right before the plates/darts. They get stunned/slowed/damaged by the fence, then slowly move onto the dart trap setup and get blasted by them - since they are slow moving and meet the darts while still stunned. You gotta repair the fence posts after a night, but it works.

That is a great idea, slow them down so they eat as many darts as possible. Might help tame the nightmare run speed horde and ferals I have a bit.

I think the torches are giving off an insane amount of heat. its a known issue that faatal is working on for the next update. My horde night is coming up and i use torches in my build. Have not placed them yet but this should be interesting lol

EDIT - Ah i see you said no torches. Interesting as most of that convo was geared to torches. Perhaps all heat is broken?

I spent another 5 hours on heat today and redid parts of it that were hurting my brain and found I had made a bug, when I was fixing it before.

I think it works fine now in all the use cases (10 to 120 minute days, torch or workstation heat) based on a design of 4 campfires/forges or 20 torches get a screamer in about 10 mins as it was supposed to be doing.

I spent another 5 hours on heat today and redid parts of it that were hurting my brain and found I had made a bug, when I was fixing it before.

I think it works fine now in all the use cases (10 to 120 minute days, torch or workstation heat) based on a design of 4 campfires/forges or 20 torches get a screamer in about 10 mins as it was supposed to be doing.

Nice. Nothing worse than OPC

@madmole

hi madmole, ive got a question. im trying to add some trees to the sub-biome from forest in biomes.xml. but this didnt work.after some tries i deleted all other decorations except trees in sub-biomes and do a high prob. and in all my attempts i had no trees in any sub-biome. do trees not "spawn" or created in sub-biomes and only in main-biome???

greetings and thx for an answer

You have to create a brand new world to see the result. Navezgane works fine, just start a new game name each time you want to test it. SOme objects have a large deco radius and might not allow a tree to spawn near it, but very few, usually its trees that have that property.

I can confirm that DrTod is correct. Large decos like trees and cacti will not be placed in sub-biomes. They are only placed in main biome when the world is generated. I thought this may have to do with distant terrain but I tried with a few smaller trees that don’t have distant terrain and they were not placed either.

yep,

I love doing that. designing a new set up. going to incorporate your interior stair case tho

Yep that's the one. Will have to remember that trick when I decide to incorporate pressure plates. I went with motion sensors in my build so I could incorporate more traps (barb wire) on the path the zeds would be walking through.

Just a quick Shout out to the devs. THANKS for fixing the Bridges. I used to hate driving and slamming into the Upgrade of the bridges, then after 100 days having to wander around the map, repairing the slopes from my bumpers hitting them to prevent collapse.

One of those minor irritations that wasn't worth mentioning until you fixed it. <salute>

wo wo ..wo....

Playing game on new comp.... damn but it is good. It's tough for me to bite my toungue when I see others post in steam complaining.

I understand if they have performance issues but the changes made to the game are great.. I'll take one to the temple for ya when they get too mouthy and un reasonable... ban imminent.

Will we get a hotfix exp pushed out with this? I've been hounded by them incessantly, and the only way Icould clear them easily was to log off and restart.. that wpuld give me enough time to cook some food and grab water...lol!

I remember the plans to remove the red blood paint from new intact wooden spikes. So when can we expect that?

Last I recall they were still in the game in the cm, but for some reason the pimps thought the always bloody ones looked cooler.

I prefer them to be red when damaged as a visual que so I can easily tell what needs repairing and what is still intact.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a great idea, slow them down so they eat as many darts as possible. Might help tame the nightmare run speed horde and ferals I have a bit.

They also slow them down allowing the blade traps to do even more damage. When stunned by them, they also can't damage the blade traps as much.

Will we get a hotfix exp pushed out with this? I've been hounded by them incessantly, and the only way Icould clear them easily was to log off and restart.. that wpuld give me enough time to cook some food and grab water...lol!

I would guess this week. We branched A18 from trunk, so work can start on A19. I'll be moving the fix from trunk into A18.1 exp tomorrow.

TFPs have a reputation to maintain...😂

- - - Updated - - -

Never consider having multiple weapons of the same type ready. Sounds like a good strat especially if heavily specced in one wpn type. 👍

Edit: not to mention dual wielding shotguns is just plain badass. 😎👍

LSyDjJH.png

So your shotgun does the preaching?

Amen!

Today this was also added to trunk and will move to A18.1 branch tomorrow, so should be in next A18.1 exp.

Added video Texture Filter setting (low/med/high/ultra which is AF off, 2, 4, forced on)

AF 2 or 4 looks fine vs AF 9 the terrain currently uses and should run at least a little faster on every GPU.

You have to create a brand new world to see the result. Navezgane works fine, just start a new game name each time you want to test it. SOme objects have a large deco radius and might not allow a tree to spawn near it, but very few, usually its trees that have that property.

I remember when you talked about not wanting Navezgane because of the random gen. Glad that you did not get rid of it.

Today this was also added to trunk and will move to A18.1 branch tomorrow, so should be in next A18.1 exp.

Added video Texture Filter setting (low/med/high/ultra which is AF off, 2, 4, forced on)

AF 2 or 4 looks fine vs AF 9 the terrain currently uses and should run at least a little faster on every GPU.

Will this fix the drastic drop in FPS in the snow biome or is that still being worked on?

Should I also use in game settings to control AF or continue allowing Nvdia to over ride the in game AF settings once patch is released?

MM,

I know A18 is fresh out of the oven, and there's still work being done on it.

Can you provide a sneak peek of what is currently planned for A19? I know vehicle mods was mentioned as a possibility... are you able to speak in broad terms on what's on the agenda?

A19 is probably a very long ways off, unless we decide to make it very small. If we go with a big alpha 19, then we will release small updates with some new content to keep you guys engaged. I've already got some books and vehicle mods designed on paper.

That's why you shouldn't play pc games if your house is under heavy rain: I just finished day 63 and a "beautiful" blackout "destroyed" my save. Every single time I'm done playing backup is updated so I got luck, but I'm on day 62 again.

That being said. Day 63 was absolutely gorgeous. The most powerful horde I've ever seen in my game time (it's not much, a little bit over 1k hours, still) and I just survived due to 4 AM gongo. A little bit of context: day 56 I spent 100 pipe bombs, 30 molotovs, 75 exploding bolts, 1.2k shotgun shells (turrets) and 900 7.62mm rounds; day 63, 140 pipe bombs, 10 grenades, 45 molotovs, 1.5k shotgun shells, 2.2k 7.62mm rounds and my arena (13x13) full of land mines (first time, land mines were too expensive before new update). My horde defense was serious damaged, several holes because there was so many radiated zombies I couldn't aim properly all demolishers. I play 120 minutes, 24 zombies and I know I'm not a good player so I can't see a game lasting close too day 120 ~ 150 as usual.

People who likes challenge can't complain about A18. Thanks TFP!

A19 is probably a very long ways off, unless we decide to make it very small. If we go with a big alpha 19, then we will release small updates with some new content to keep you guys engaged. I've already got some books and vehicle mods designed on paper.

Here is my suggestion for a new book. Gives extra damage (like a headshot) when you hit a zombie in the crotch after knocking them down. Titled "The Other Headshot".

Release the A19 dev diary kraken??? 😂

Welcome to the Twilight Zone....

giphy.gif

It's always been like that from the early Alphas to now, if your character could sneeze in game then Z's would show up, nothings changed but the graphics. Oh yea, new books, can't leave out the books...

Started a coal mine & can not get below 5 blocks without them showing up, 2 torches & I have had to fend off several swarms & still 5 X 5 & 5 deep, sad...

At least the screamer count is down but the character is a Z magnet basically...

I would like to see no armor build... or potentially lower tier primitive martial arts build.

Right now I never really get pack mule anymore. Just seems like wasted points, unless there is an equipment build I am unaware of, which is highly possible.

It would be cool if something like pack mule, or some other perk, would give you bonus armor or maybe stamina for each piece of armor that you are not wearing. You lose out on armor mods, but you get crappy tier natural armor that you never have to repair, and maybe more stamina or speed as a trade off.

Cowboy boots and hat are kinda like that now though, not sure if there is more. Something that gave me more reason to invest in pack mule would be cool though. Maybe it already exists and I have not found it yet lel.

Archived