Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Maybe a suggestion for BM's. Any chance you could slow down the respawn of zombies or add a pause based on how many people are in? That way we can get 10-20 second lull's in the horde.

This may sound weird, but with two of us fighting in a base, we never had a chance to even really breathe, let alone repair anything. Cause of that, our bunker (concrete and steel) got completely destroyed, and the same with our fallback position (concrete again). We just never had a moment to do anything other than shoot, reload, and repair weapons. The entire time I had a M60 just wrecking heads and I couldn't keep up.

Build thicker walls, multiple vault doors and buy yourself more time. Add turrets and traps and barbed wire and electric fences to slow them down. Adding a lull in the horde is complicated because some players have 64 alive, when one dies another takes its place so you might need half an hour lull to kill off everyone to have "break time". I think its fine, this is the fun of the game, finding a solution around the problem.

Did the change to the torch heat map on the update last night make things go tits up for screamers? Guy on Discord:

"we are getting stupid amounts of screamer spawns

like im not doing anything and had like 4 at my base"

Anybody else seeing this?

He said he has two torches and is basically non stop fighting hordes now :D

We're still working on it.

When it comes to Charismatic nature maybe you could make it where the buff lasts a bit after leaving the affected area like maybe 1 - 5 minutes. It would give it a bit more functionality so if you leave it for a bit you will still have it for a while. As for the buff the agility and Fortitude bonuses aren't that great, maybe a small speed bonus or even a little less less food and water loss, you know something that is more broadly useful than agility and fortitude. I like the Idea of charismatic nature and even use it but the attribute bonuses never really help, also maybe give a bonus to the person who has the perk obviously not the attribute bonuses if those are kept.

Agility and fortitude used to govern hit points and stamina so it was more effective then. It needs some love.

Build thicker walls, multiple vault doors and buy yourself more time. Add turrets and traps and barbed wire and electric fences to slow them down. Adding a lull in the horde is complicated because some players have 64 alive, when one dies another takes its place so you might need half an hour lull to kill off everyone to have "break time". I think its fine, this is the fun of the game, finding a solution around the problem.

I can vouch for all of that - especially electric fencing. Man that stuff is useful. I put pictures somewhere in this blog, but I made a box of trigger plates/dart traps around the outside of my base with electric fencing right before the plates/darts. They get stunned/slowed/damaged by the fence, then slowly move onto the dart trap setup and get blasted by them - since they are slow moving and meet the darts while still stunned. You gotta repair the fence posts after a night, but it works.

My brother and I are also experiencing the issue of excessively frequent screamers. At least one every five minutes, maybe more. Often times we will go for a loot run and find 1 or more waiting for us at our base. We have no more than 3-4 torches and a single forge running at a time. While it has certainly kept us on our toes more, it eventually becomes irritating.

@MM when I zoom in with a weapon shoot it reloads and then automatically makes back zoomed in. Is that intended or a big? Is there a way to have it like it was in A17.

Also I play with controller so when zoomed in with 4x or 8x scope the up and down arrow pad no longer allows for zoom in or zoom out. It did in A17. Can someone please look into and fix. Currently it will take you out of zoom select the 3rd or 4th item on your tool belt.

Overall having a great time!

Agility and fortitude used to govern hit points and stamina so it was more effective then. It needs some love.

MM I reported a bug related to the state of the Waterworks POI which is affecting it since a17. Said POI has been changed in a18 so I guess it is some kind of updated version of it, and yet when I reported this issue, while it has been acknowledged by a tester, it hasn't been reported as fixed nor in the known issues.

While it is a tiny tweak and it's about an updated POI and you said a18 is all about that balance, I treat it as a MF so I risk the faster way ( telling you right now).

Summary: Right side iron fence next to the right side car at the entrance of the WaterWorks POI collapses after wrenching, exploding, deleting said car.

Version: (since a17)

Platform: PC

OS/Version: Windows

Game mode: ALL

Did you wipe old saves? Yes

Did you start a new game? Yes

Did you validate your files? Yes

Are you using any mods? No

EAC on or off ? Off.

Bug Description: Right side iron fence next to the right side car at the entrance of the WaterWorks POI collapses after wrenching, exploding, deleting or generally making dissappear said car by any means.

Reproduce steps:

1- Go to the Water Works POI

2- Wrench/delete the car at the right side of the entrance.

3- This happens:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30269[/ATTACH]

Actual result: Right side iron fence next to the right side car at the entrance of the WaterWorks POI collapses after wrenching, exploding, deleting or generally making dissappear said car by any means.

Expected result: Iron fence should stay structurally sound after the right side car dissapears.

This problem is old as ballz.

Can you confirm that has been fixed? Pls and thank you for standing us in our excitement in a non-Snowdog way.

20191024203141_1.thumb.jpg.08a47576954c0df7fa0051399e5f122a.jpg

Theoretically since faatal tied the heatmap frequency to day length, super short days should be even more screamer spawns. That's something I want to check out when I get home.

Ahh. When I changed my 24-hr cycles to 10 minutes long, I did notice increase screamer spawns. I just didn't mind them since I'm in a constant state of prepping for the next horde night coming in the next few mins (horde every night).

Ah! You are a very handsome man then Dave!

Oh you're making me blush, you!

- - - Updated - - -

There's no way. I'm 100% sure you are skinny, fit and really white. As all geologists should be and must be.

Out of skinny, fit and white.. I'm 1 of the 3.. guess which one :)

Hello! Had to register and give credit to the PIMPS :cool: Good job, especially with the last alpha. Keep up the good work.

I've been following the game ever since A14 and it has come a long way.

I'm playing my own dead is dead SP game, mostly default settings: 60min cycle, 7d bm frequency, but turned off loot respawn time, air drops and blood mount count is 64. Having an absolut blast. S#!% gets intense on hordenights.

About to have a go at Day 63. Been trying out my old A17 base and had to make a few adjustments due to their AI and the demolisher. They certainly add a nice 'oh S#!%-moment' every now and then to the game, at least when there is 10+ :miserable:

@Madmole, or anyone else who can answer this question: It's regarding the difficulty settings and how much % dmg zombies deal to players and vice versa. AFAIK Nomad was even, as in 100% dmg for both player and zombie, while adventurer scales in favor of the player and warrior/insane scales the other way.. is this still the case in A18 and if so, does anyone know the % for each?

Thanks!

@madmole

hi madmole, ive got a question. im trying to add some trees to the sub-biome from forest in biomes.xml. but this didnt work.after some tries i deleted all other decorations except trees in sub-biomes and do a high prob. and in all my attempts i had no trees in any sub-biome. do trees not "spawn" or created in sub-biomes and only in main-biome???

greetings and thx for an answer

You have to create a brand new world to see the result. Navezgane works fine, just start a new game name each time you want to test it. SOme objects have a large deco radius and might not allow a tree to spawn near it, but very few, usually its trees that have that property.

That's just bio-renewable gas.. it's good for society :)

Disturbed Tourist zombie-gas harvesting confirmed for A18.2

Hmm, perhaps that's what all of the secret labs have been doing before the apocalypse happened? They discovered a way to harvest their gas, and somehow it caused the outbreak to happen + a war for Tourist-gas broke out globally.

Archived