Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Using portable turrets if you have not had time to put spikes might be helpful.

There seems to have been a pretty big change between b2 and b4 with respect to heat generation. Screamers have never bothered me before but I have started keeping up the chunk heat info from the debug menu so I know when it’s safe to leave the base.

Restarted our game with different settings recently. I decided to mainly focus on an Intellect build. I did Agility build last play through that lasted 140 days at 120 min days. Though we did 40% xp for that play through because we had more players. Recorded most of our Day 21 Horde night which was a blast and a breeze (gs 100ish - nomad difficulty, 120 min days, am actually considering going up 1 or 2 difficulties).

Came up with a base design that, so far, has carried me through. Actually started it before day 7 horde which I normally never do. I usually stay on road til about day 28 then do a semi reinforced POI til after day 42's horde (all the while working on a horde base here and there). It's definitely not close to being done, I have more envisioned, hell I might even build my factory up top if it continues to hold its own. Put up minimal wood/iron spikes thus far and no electric traps yet. Those junk turrets though, are nooo joke. I hardly ever kept 2 going at same time this horde night, though I'm sure that'll change in upcoming horde nights. I mined my butt off after getting STR to the point where i could have miner 69er at 4 and motherlode 4. So, thought I would share:

My favorite picture of the night was:

EdRbsKt.png

video:

All hail King of the genre: The Fun Pimps!! :) <<high-fivez>> all around

It had to be fixed because DC would not give up the license on hard light doing noticeable damage.

And we really didn't want players rhyming to recharge it.

Is there a bug with head lamp mods and flashlight gun mods? Seems like I cannot turn off the head lamp if using a weapon with a light mod.

Is there a bug with head lamp mods and flashlight gun mods? Seems like I cannot turn off the head lamp if using a weapon with a light mod.

If you hold the button you use to turn off/on flashlight it should give you option of which one you want to turn off/on

Explosives are your 100% friend on horde night. I do them with another person and he creates those lulls when he throws a few grenades and blows the hordes to bits as they bang on the front door :D

I can clear the clumped up zombies faster with the m60 than with a grenade. Tap firing at head level just wrecks house. The problem is that I start a reload and my buddy is then covering the next batch of zombies at the wall. Rinse and repeat. I'm just looking for some brief pauses of 10-20 seconds in the spawning to do quick repairs or what not. When the zombies batch up they really do some serious damage. Add a demolisher in there and your defenses are just plain gone and you're into backup plan A, B, C, etc.

The alternative is what we've been doing which is just cleaning out a POI that we have a quest in, prep it, get it wrecked, and then just start the quest to fix the POI.

When it comes to Charismatic nature maybe you could make it where the buff lasts a bit after leaving the affected area like maybe 1 - 5 minutes. It would give it a bit more functionality so if you leave it for a bit you will still have it for a while. As for the buff the agility and Fortitude bonuses aren't that great, maybe a small speed bonus or even a little less less food and water loss, you know something that is more broadly useful than agility and fortitude. I like the Idea of charismatic nature and even use it but the attribute bonuses never really help, also maybe give a bonus to the person who has the perk obviously not the attribute bonuses if those are kept.

When it comes to Charismatic nature maybe you could make it where the buff lasts a bit after leaving the affected area like maybe 1 - 5 minutes. It would give it a bit more functionality so if you leave it for a bit you will still have it for a while. As for the buff the agility and Fortitude bonuses aren't that great, maybe a small speed bonus or even a little less less food and water loss, you know something that is more broadly useful than agility and fortitude. I like the Idea of charismatic nature and even use it but the attribute bonuses never really help, also maybe give a bonus to the person who has the perk obviously not the attribute bonuses if those are kept.

i think when NPCs come in that perk could be used to convince NPCs to .example let bandits leave you alone for a while!

or it could say as a support perk!

There seems to have been a pretty big change between b2 and b4 with respect to heat generation. Screamers have never bothered me before but I have started keeping up the chunk heat info from the debug menu so I know when it’s safe to leave the base.

I wish for you to get rid of the debugging menu if permanent screamers become... a feature ;) Personally, I love it and I don't want to care about the heat or whatever. I want secret recipes from developers to remain secret for me. My immersion feels better like that.

I wish for you to get rid of the debugging menu if permanent screamers become... a feature ;) Personally, I love it and I don't want to care about the heat or whatever. I want secret recipes from developers to remain secret for me. My immersion feels better like that.

It does seem like there was a big change that went unannounced, though. I'm fine with getting screamers with a certain frequency, but getting a screamer every (literal) 1 minute of real time with only three forges and a few candles going prevents you from getting anything at all done in the game.

Lots of nekid boars in Carl's Corn frolicking about. Check them out...

Yeah. A green one offered me a beer but I didn't feel comfortable. "My name is Grace," she said, moving lasciviously. I took the beer, she took a bullet, then I picked up 30,000 bags of cements and left.

Yeah. A green one offered me a beer but I didn't feel comfortable. "My name is Grace," she said, moving lasciviously. I took the beer, she took a bullet, then I picked up 30,000 bags of cements and left.

i wished there was a dire boar! in the wild that was as strong as grace!

cuz grace was fun to fight! and plus it can cause a "crap your pants" reaction seeing it in the wild running at you!

I feel the same way, but we kinda need to know at least a little during alpha in order to report when things happen that shouldn’t be happening.

Okay just timed how long it was taking screamers to spawn in my game. A new screamer was spawning every 90 seconds. 60 minute days, game originally started around A18 b155 currently on A18.1 b4. I have 8 candles, 3 forges, and a chem lab running. I also have a generator and two shotgun turrets which may also be in the same chunk. Once a screamer spawns it takes approximately 90 seconds for another screamer to spawn. When I started my game I was at 3% heat. The first screamer spawned a little under ninety seconds. I killed it from my roof with a silenced sniper rifle. The next screamer spawned around 3 minutes and was killed by the shotgun turrets. The third screamer spawned around 4 minutes 30 seconds and was killed by the sniper rifle.

This is a major change from B2. I had regular visits from screamers but not every 1:30. I don’t ever remember screamers spawning this frequently in previous alphas where I might have had 6 forges and two chem labs running at the same time. While I don’t mind screamers and welcome them at times for the xp farm, this is too much. During the day it’s a hassle, at night it’s likely to lead to a completely destroyed base unless I spend the entire night sniping screamers.

Okay just timed how long it was taking screamers to spawn in my game. A new screamer was spawning every 90 seconds. 60 minute days, game originally started around A17 b155 currently on A17.1 b4. I have 8 candles, 3 forges, and a chem lab running. I also have a generator and two shotgun turrets which may also be in the same chunk. Once a screamer spawns it takes approximately 90 seconds for another screamer to spawn. When I started my game I was at 3% heat. The first screamer spawned a little under ninety seconds. I killed it from my roof with a silenced sniper rifle. The next screamer spawned around 3 minutes and was killed by the shotgun turrets. The third screamer spawned around 4 minutes 30 seconds and was killed by the sniper rifle.

This is a major change from B2. I had regular visits from screamers but not every 1:30. I don’t ever remember screamers spawning this frequently in previous alphas where I might have had 6 forges and two chem labs running at the same time. While I don’t mind screamers and welcome them at times for the xp farm, this is too much. During the day it’s a hassle, at night it’s likely to lead to a completely destroyed base unless I spend the entire night sniping screamers.

I can confirm that I'm experiencing the same thing with about the same stations working and the same timeframe of screamers spawning.

While all this screamer stuff is probably bad for a brand new player, the result of it can be pretty fun and crazy.

Just saying for when random encounters are added... a horde of screamers would be something interesting to get once in awhile.

Playing MP with one friend, 90 min days. New map generated with b2. Day 5 Left the base for the afternoon, have 6 candles, left 2 forges on needed to melt down some stone. When we returned around 15:00. 7 screamers were just milling about. Somethings up, but really its not terrible and breaks up the monotony of base building. :)

Playing MP with one friend, 90 min days. New map generated with b2. Day 5 Left the base for the afternoon, have 6 candles, left 2 forges on needed to melt down some stone. When we returned around 15:00. 7 screamers were just milling about. Somethings up, but really its not terrible and breaks up the monotony of base building. :)

Try b4.

Archived