Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Do the traders have a range restriction on potential quests? It seems there are a lot of potential pois, but very few end up on the rotation list.

I would think higher tier could also be further away, since transportation should be available by the time you get to them.

@ both Fataal and Madmole:

I was talking to the wife and we had an idea... I know you can't to the perlin caves because of performance reasons... but what if the same occlusion system could be put in place for underground in loaded chunks? if while underground the game engine occluded the above ground and visa versa, that would make it feasible, wouldn't it?

We always see a performance spike when entering pois...this might also boost performance even more.

Traders have a range restriction that will be adjusted.

Underground already occludes above ground stuff, occluding it isn't the problem, its generating all those vertices while driving fast and weighting the game down for very little return. On top of that it has to be engineered to look good and be interesting and worth doing. Given that roads are still a mess, towns and biomes need work and 1% of players would go oh cool for 5 minutes then find out they are just the same thing over and over with very little loot or game play so its not worth investing into. We can do anything, but not everything. We have man made caves in the game, they work fine.

Bandits need done, rgw needs improved, we can't keep adding more features that are lowest priority at best when we can clearly smash the market with the right choices moving forward: Fix bugs, polish, performance, usability, bandits and main quest, improved graphics. Please add this to the FAQ!

two things one what happened to barbed wire? Two Since last update when I open my inventory my FPS goes from 60FPS to 5FPS for a second or two and horde night its drops so bad i cant select stuff

barbwire is OP so you can't craft it anymore

the inventory thing might be this bug. If you have the resource to craft 100s~1,000s of X item and you open your crafting menu/inventory with X select, it do a major dps tank, even worse if there something in the crafting queue. I reported this but nobody confirm anything.

try having 2 full stack of wood and craft something cheap with like 4 woods or something, leave that item selected. make a few of those items (enough time to close and reopen backpack) and reopen your backpack, see if your fps tank. the more item you can craft, the worse it get.

The code to generate low poly distant POIs are in the game anyhow. Maybe updating those POIs every couple of minutes if they have changed could work.

But making player-structures have a distant model sounds tricky, as they could be anywhere and of any shape. (not just within a POIs borders).

I'd just do a stripped down chunk build once a minute or two when cpu is good, and generate any changed chunks in a queue. ONly render the opaque blocks, skip railings, model entities etc. Save this mesh to disk until its changed again, and load it at a distance instead of the pre baked imposters we have now. It doesn't need to update in real time or have collision since its only seen in the distance, it can change once an hour or whatever is reasonable for performance.

Maybe just a pause button next to cancel? Time only ticks down for whatever is first in queue that isn't paused. When all things in queue are paused - meaning whatever you stopped the rest for is done - unpause everything and continue.

That might be more work than anything, then you forget and its not crafting. I'd rather cancel everything and do my repair then re-add whatever I was crafting. 99% of the time its cobblestone rocks or flagstone shift click to max craft and go

Whenever I look at hilly terrain or mountains, my FPS plummets to about 30 when I'm otherwise at a solid 60 (even on a horde night with many people on. Great job on that front). Even standing on top of a mountain and looking straight down causes it. I seem to recall someone mentioning something like this before but don't remember which setting affects it?

Anistropic Filtering. We're optimizing defaults and adding a slider.

Steel tools early on seems OP, even brown ones. So I guess steel parts since you still need to collect enough to make the tool which takes time. I agree, so far, the steel parts are rarely dropping. This is Day 15 for me though, so if they drop at a higher rate with higher gamestage, I think I need to wait before commenting if it’s appropriate or not. We should get proper use of our iron tools rather than skipping straight to steel unless RNG is kind to you.

FFS, Traders don't even stock these at ALL. Loot is one thing but traders should have a few on hand so you could buy them out and build up some craftable tools.

I'd just do a stripped down chunk build once a minute or two when cpu is good, and generate any changed chunks in a queue. ONly render the opaque blocks, skip railings, model entities etc. Save this mesh to disk until its changed again, and load it at a distance instead of the pre baked imposters we have now. It doesn't need to update in real time or have collision since its only seen in the distance, it can change once an hour or whatever is reasonable for performance.

Sounds like a plan!

Survival games don't mean they have to have cheap mechanics. But maybe this mechanic would be nice if done well. I would like it as an incentive to repair stuff.

I don't consider a gun jamming a cheap mechanic. You just have to plan for the possibility and have a way out of trouble. It's a video game. EVERY death method, when looked at in isolation, could be considered a "cheap death". I would submit that having ways to plan ahead to avoid all the "cheap" deaths is the hallmark of the whole genre.

I am getting amazing fps on mostly max settings with my 1060 card. Most times it is 50+ fps. I do have a question thought. If I am looking through iron bars anything past the bars is blurry. If I look away and back it is clear for a few seconds. Is that a feature I can adjust?

I am getting amazing fps on mostly max settings with my 1060 card. Most times it is 50+ fps. I do have a question thought. If I am looking through iron bars anything past the bars is blurry. If I look away and back it is clear for a few seconds. Is that a feature I can adjust?

If you have Depth of field turned on see if turning it off helps.

That horde night did not go well (though I did survive...sort of). It was my second horde night on day 29. My GS was 87, and I play jog. I'm going strength with sledges 5/5.

You see, it all started when I went to make my final preparations. I was laying spikes around the outside of my tiered killing floor, (melee arena with fall back to next melee arena) when some dogs attacked. I handled them easily enough, then turned back to my work. Suddenly, a bear begins to maul me. I was stunned and injured before I really could react, and I died. Ugh. Less time to finish my work. Still, I get it all situated.

I did not know what to expect, but it was a lot of cops. My double-tap shotgun was barely enough to finish them before they could run and explode on me. Of course, having to focus on them left me open to attacks from the other zombies. I think the biggest trouble is that the sledge was having trouble finding the head hitboxes. (User error or coding problem, I know not.) The occasional vulture to distract me did not help either. All-in-all, it was quite a bit of chaos, but I didn't die once the actual horde started.

Lesson learned: I will need much greater defenses before next time, and I probably should have multiple shotguns slotted to get me through a clump until I have time to do proper reloads.

"♥♥♥♥s" next to a "Munchez Carpets"? You guys going down a dangerous path.

What's next, 'Hancock Tools'?, 'Get Stuffed Funerals?', 'Floater's Plumbing?', 'Heywood Jablomi Farm Animals?'

TFPs have a reputation to maintain...😂

- - - Updated - - -

That horde night did not go well (though I did survive...sort of). It was my second horde night on day 29. My GS was 87, and I play jog. I'm going strength with sledges 5/5.

You see, it all started when I went to make my final preparations. I was laying spikes around the outside of my tiered killing floor, (melee arena with fall back to next melee arena) when some dogs attacked. I handled them easily enough, then turned back to my work. Suddenly, a bear begins to maul me. I was stunned and injured before I really could react, and I died. Ugh. Less time to finish my work. Still, I get it all situated.

I did not know what to expect, but it was a lot of cops. My double-tap shotgun was barely enough to finish them before they could run and explode on me. Of course, having to focus on them left me open to attacks from the other zombies. I think the biggest trouble is that the sledge was having trouble finding the head hitboxes. (User error or coding problem, I know not.) The occasional vulture to distract me did not help either. All-in-all, it was quite a bit of chaos, but I didn't die once the actual horde started.

Lesson learned: I will need much greater defenses before next time, and I probably should have multiple shotguns slotted to get me through a clump until I have time to do proper reloads.

Never consider having multiple weapons of the same type ready. Sounds like a good strat especially if heavily specced in one wpn type. 👍

Edit: not to mention dual wielding shotguns is just plain badass. 😎👍

LSyDjJH.png

Was there a change in b4 with the stations so that they are in working condition at trader's now?

If not, I got a trader with all 4 stations working... again. People are going to think I'm lying to prove a point... but I swear.

Dumb luck.

Archived