Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Maybe "Courier 6" or "Courier Six" Magnum (6 bullet drum) could be a cool reference to Fallout New Vegas

I like this. I thought Courier Special, since 44 Special is a caliber that 44 magnum can fire (and I prefer to shoot for the preservation of my wrists), but Courier Six is also really nice. With the tag: "Deliverin 6 packages to the dome at 1300fps" as the description lol.

It doesn't break anything, its still a major inconvenience to travel to them to use them. In fact one could argue it reduces your chance for survival because you are spending travel time to do something you aren't ready to do efficiently yet. Depends how far it is from your base of course. I have to wonder if I'd just clear 5 houses out back to back and put all the loot in a chest in the street, instead of doing one house for trader, drive there drive back that I'd make more coin and more xp just slaugtering zeds and looting the old fashioned way.

I think he means the actual items. I've found them as well. Search a destroyed forge and you find...a forge. Hilarious.

It is not the red sky tint. It is the sun low on the horizon casting long shadows. Morning does it too. Everyday. Once the sun sets that light is disabled, so the FPS increases. Then BM zombies spawn and the FPS decreases. The moon comes up, light enabled, the FPS decreases. At 1440p, the FPS difference was around 45 high, to 38 low, which is normal. Of course the base FPS depends on where you are at and what you are looking at.

Tested on a RTX 2070 on high and ultra. I play on high. I would not be playing on Ultra, if you are.

I get a solid 60+ fps on a 1080ti at 1440p. Sad that a 2070 can't keep up. Odd that 4k drops so much though. Going from 1440p to 4k causes my FPS to collapse to 28-35 fps on average.

Vulkan on Linux also yields some decent performance, but it's buggy.

Both on Ultra settings.

@ MM, I'm sure this has been proposed before but this just dawned on me.

What if biome spawn zed count was changed so it also tied to GS? It would be an scary feeling for the world to slowly become more dense the higher your GS were to climb. Of course there would have to be some limitations.

For example, in SP, the count would top out at 64 (there could be a similar max alive setting for this in the menus) and on MP at 8 per player. Also, when players would enter a POI, some of the biome max alive would need to die as well to allow for sleeper spawns.

When the BM starts all biome zeds should die to free up the max alive count for BM nights.

I think this would be a great compromise to both sides of the argument???

well im no gun expert but i dont think that AK wound work!

thing would probably Blowup in your hands!

Yep, it actually did (work). It was used by Somali pirates, and what you see is salt water corrosion probably due to severe neglect.

edit: but I wouldn't want to fire it... unless it was my only AK in a zombie invasion... which brings me back to my original point, choices choices...

Apologies, by Courier Special, I was trying to provide an idea for a gun name that wasn't directly taking a weapon name from the game (NV) itself (adam mentioned the Ranger Sequoia--I'm partial to the Mysterious Magnum). So Courier Special to shoutout to the PC of New Vegas, and obviously make it a 44 magnum!

And you're right on the money for 76. Was it the team at Austin that developed it, so not--as mentioned--Bethesda proper? I still have hopes for ESVI, and I'm hoping that a proper Fallout comes one day. Maybe they'll turn 76 around like they did Elder Scrolls Online?

Yes I think they handed them a broad concept and the Austin team added MP to the engine, and the Montreal team probably did the content, so its a frankenstein of 3 studios. With a few key additions I could sink my teeth into it again, such as:

Wastelander update being good (adds human npcs)

Perpetual base building

Private servers

Mod support

I think they will work on it a lot like ESO, but should have shipped a better base game. They should have called an alpha and people would have been more forgiving and not charge 60 bucks for something with the same art and sound content as Fallout 4.

After all the crap they have done, I'm certain Starfield and ES6 will deliver. They are just waiting for the new consoles for next fall and I imagine they will do Starfield in 2020 and ES6 in 2022-23.

I found one in the trash last night and got it planted on my roof after the day 21 holocaust (many blocks and my campfire and raw food storage died). All my seeds died too, sucks. Food is a constant struggle for this character for whatever reason. A few unlucky barfs and This 12x12 base takes a lot of man hours to get fortified.

Wait, what do you mean died? How did you lose your food?

So I am loving the new update. Melee speed is awesome and all the other stuff is good. However... I found 2 traders on day one and in the broken stations I found schematics for some of the worktables already. Two chems, a forge and a cement mixer. Kind of seems to easy to get em imo.

Random is random. The 2 games I have played in the latest build [18.1b2] have turned up no schematics in the 10 or so broken ones I have searched. The search continues.

It'd probably be useful to know your 'lucky looter' skill though, mine were at 3/4 with no other eq bonuses etc.

I'm on day 25 with no purples. My armor sucks. I also haven't been able to get a vehicle. I've basically been fetch/clear questing non-stop (after some early dig quests for food/antibiotics). *shrug* RNG gonna be RNG.

Not even a bicycle? I make my own. :)

Madmole, when do you and the team get together to determine if you want to do a small A19 by Christmas?

I'm pushing for small named updates, like The book update, or The Christmas update, etc. Now that we're stable we'll start planning some stuff and branching.

Devs,

Thank you all for the update.

I was looking at the description for advanced engineering rank 3 and didn't quite understand the new description for the latest experimental.

It says, "Efficient craftsman. All forge recipes cost 10% less, crafting Forged Steel and electrical devices costs 15% less.".

1 - Why is the forged steel costing 15% less when it says "All" forge recipes cost 10%? Is forged steel not counted as a recipe made in the forge?

I don't know, Gazz did that and I need to look at it yet.

I think he means the actual items. I've found them as well. Search a destroyed forge and you find...a forge. Hilarious.

Nothing hilarious about it at all.

You look at a broken forge and learn about how it works and how to copy it. (humans have been doing this ♥♥♥♥ for centuries)

and/or

You rifle through the remnants of a broken forge and salvage all the useful parts you can find. (Humans have been doing this ♥♥♥♥ for centuries as well)

tbh, making a forge is not rocket science, making a good one takes a little more skill and knowledge though.

@ MM, I'm sure this has been proposed before but this just dawned on me.

What if biome spawn zed count was changed so it also tied to GS? It would be an scary feeling for the world to slowly become more dense the higher your GS were to climb. Of course there would have to be some limitations.

For example, in SP, the count would top out at 64 (there could be a similar max alive setting for this in the menus) and on MP at 8 per player. Also, when players would enter a POI, some of the biome max alive would need to die as well to allow for sleeper spawns.

When the BM starts all biome zeds should die to free up the max alive count for BM nights.

I think this would be a great compromise to both sides of the argument???

So I'm driving by, a guy goes into a house, and suddenly all the zombies following him fall over dead?

There isn't even a problem. Just sit back and wait for the event manager to be born. Game staged events spawning all around you and despawning properly if not interacted with. A world manager that handles it all properly.

Yes I think they handed them a broad concept and the Austin team added MP to the engine, and the Montreal team probably did the content, so its a frankenstein of 3 studios. With a few key additions I could sink my teeth into it again, such as:

Wastelander update being good (adds human npcs)

Perpetual base building

Private servers

Mod support

I think they will work on it a lot like ESO, but should have shipped a better base game. They should have called an alpha and people would have been more forgiving and not charge 60 bucks for something with the same art and sound content as Fallout 4.

After all the crap they have done, I'm certain Starfield and ES6 will deliver. They are just waiting for the new consoles for next fall and I imagine they will do Starfield in 2020 and ES6 in 2022-23.

Sadly i'm not impressed with their version of private servers being $100 a year with no mod support at present

Sadly i'm not impressed with their version of private servers being $100 a year with no mod support at present

I had no idea they were charging to host a private server. Wow. The sad thing its probably Zenimax. Bethesda just makes games.

Madmole you and your crew are the best. I cannot wait to see what you guys do next. Any chance of you guys selling any collectables? I wanna support you guys more!

I think some hats are in the works. I'd love to get some sculpted zombies.

Archived