Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I think having a (small) random variation on zombies height could help a bit, and having their walktype randomized would be great for variation.

(Played a A15mod where all zombies could have any walktype (even crawling), and that really spiced it up not being able to immidately discern what was coming from the walktype)

Really want this myself. Randomised animation for all types of zombies. It would shake up the variety so easily.

Surely that be easy to implement. (Was also a mod once)

Wouldn’t affect game in a bad way at all would it. ? Go on TFP.

Really want this myself. Randomised animation for all types of zombies. It would shake up the variety so easily.

I had a suggestion a while back for randomized stats too. So base speed of 1 for instance but each zombie could spawn +/- 25% of that for more randomness

I don't understand you, I mean the weapons degrade now to a point you can't use them until repaired. This is just a little random element.

Anyways it's not a cross I'd die on, just thought it was a neat idea.

Gun jamming sounds like a great idea if implemented correctly. Imagine the adrenaline rush one would get if they are backed in to a corner of a room with only 1 way to get in and out and you have 5 zombies running in at you and then boom, weapon jamms. ahhhhh I can feel the rush just thinking about it. Brings me back to my military days :)

Go play Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Doom with random gun jamming. Go play Forza Motorsports or Grid with random engine stalling. Go play Super Mario Bros (1985) or Mega Man (1987) where the jump button is randomly disabled for 5 seconds. Then come back and tell me how "fun" and "exciting" it is to have the entire outcome of your playing determined by chance rather than skill. That's poor game design. That's a slot machine where there's a chance for it to punch you in the face.

I would actually control the wearables stats only with mods. This way players can choose the look they like, and are not restricted by specific clothing. (like everyone used to wear a mining helmet)

When looting, the wearables could just happen to have specific mods per type already included.

But the attire can be adjusted as the player wants it to look like, without missing out on stats.

Not just once, mods still have it, surely Gnamod does (with all stats randomized).

But yeah it is not to hard to do and a lot of variation can be added using XML alone, but I have gotten distinct feeling that they really do not want this for their game, they want the zombies to be predictable and recognizable. Spider Arlene could never be a thing in the vanilla game it seems.

The point I was making about “named/legendary” items not having mod slots is that they are super rare, unique, and powerful in their own right. They should[n't] be moded because then they become ridiculous.

(Corrected the second sentence to how you probably meant it)

Many mods currently don't empower the guns (much), they customize them. Someone wants his shotgun to have spread, another one wants to shoot concentrated volleys with maximum reach. Someone might like his AK with precision damage with a semi-automatic mod, another one wants to shoot bursts ...

What would it be like finding a legendary gun and then realising that you don't really want to use it because you can only shoot bursts with it?

Have the same environmental effects effect the zombies as

they do players.

Debris falling from above harms player character, but presently

not zombies.

Trip and fall animation for both player and zombie.

Examples: running and stumbling over cacti, or an excessive jump

requiring rapid button push to regain balance.

Player character fallback from zombie hit. The zombies have variable

weights from their strikes, they stun but do not knock player back

or down. creating desperate feeling.

When squatting lowering of camera angle, gives more a feel of sneaking

and makes zombies more intimidating. This combined with the tall grass

adds to the effect. You just leave the actual squat height for the player

character the same.

I like the head kill only option, tested; it changes the generic toe

to toe battle, into a strategic, slow the advance, dismember for visceral

visuals, kill em dead battle. This combined with the random get up animation.

Using the adaptive terrain filler, can allow for part of the random encounter

mentioned before. You just bury the basic zombies randomly around the world

in biomes as a prefab, simulates them rising from a grave. And falling into

one of these pits mid stride, makes for a code brown moment. Its like runnig

through a minefield with buried mines, just lower their distance awareness,

to keep stealth intact, but add urgency.

Can y'all devs please consider removing or delaying that damn dog/wolf attack squad that comes for you in the first few days? I cannot tell you how many times I've been strolling along or looting or something and I suddenly lose all my health to a pack of expertly trained silent ninja wolves flaying my skin off.

If I die during an early day, or hell, AT ALL, it's to a wild animal of some kind, and having the game send THREE extremely fast and powerful threats at you to murder you is not fun. You would not sent 3 homing ferals at the player just out and about midday, would you? At least make a global howl sound when they spawn in or something, they should not be so deadly AND completely unnoticeable until it's too late.

Can y'all devs please consider removing or delaying that damn dog/wolf attack squad that comes for you in the first few days? I cannot tell you how many times I've been strolling along or looting or something and I suddenly lose all my health to a pack of expertly trained silent ninja wolves flaying my skin off.

If I die during an early day, or hell, AT ALL, it's to a wild animal of some kind, and having the game send THREE extremely fast and powerful threats at you to murder you is not fun. You would not sent 3 homing ferals at the player just out and about midday, would you? At least make a global howl sound when they spawn in or something, they should not be so deadly AND completely unnoticeable until it's too late.

well i kinda like that animals are a danger. heck i wished they were more dangerous

like i kinda wish that boars would attack you randomly

and mountain lions and coyotes spawn in more biomes.

but thats my opinion

Roland, is it your birthday? If so, happy birthday! It's my birthday. 35 years old today. I've had a go on 7DTD and now I'm in the pub enjoying a cold beer.

Oh noes!! The birthday paradox showed up. Next there will be a rift in space!!! Happy birthday to you too, even if you now sealed the fate of the universe.

Archived