Sign in to follow this  
madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Well I am still at office and just to see performance boost from B149, I run new Navezgame here, and on my i7 8700K, with 16GB RAM, 1050 2 GB Card (total 8 GB shared ram), I get 30 FPS with shadows offs, Texture streaming on, from Video quality settings. And most setting between/around Medium (default setting). In A17 I used to get 50-60 FPS on this machine where settings are mostly High. I can get 60 FPS by losing some reflections and closing all shadows etc, Guessing I need to reinstall game from ground zero?

AF is anisotropic filtering. It is a method of taking many samples of a texture to produce a higher quality image. It also takes perspective into account. Driver control panels usually let you disable it or enable lower quality but faster versions of it.

Just use "gfx af 1" to turn it back on.

If i turn the af to 0, the game looks like alpha 15-16. I do have an increase in FPS but with sacrificing the details.

I'm on a ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1080, 16GB DDR4 3000mhz.

Outside i have between 20-40 FPS. Inside 50-70. All settings maxed out in 1080p rez.

It's there any other way to boost the FPS other than gfx af 0?

Thanks in advance!

If i turn the af to 0, the game looks like alpha 15-16. I do have an increase in FPS but with sacrificing the details.

I'm on a ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1080, 16GB DDR4 3000mhz.

Outside i have between 20-40 FPS. Inside 50-70. All settings maxed out in 1080p rez.

It's there any other way to boost the FPS other than gfx af 0?

Thanks in advance!

Try gfx pp enable 0, and/or gfx st budget (number). it's how much video memory is used for streaming, it can help maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah they could be extra fast diggers :)

- - - Updated - - -

Lol! Yeah and they will steal all your ores and rocks!

Haha! Perhaps they don't kill you but knock you out and all your ore/rocks are stolen.

I was using a 4k monitor with a 1060 card and getting 10-20 fps so I decided to switch to a normal monitor and now on max settings I get 60+ fps all the time.

Holy crap, I was wrenching apart cars and it just started to rain and came in a downpour. I was just thinking that it this was a time when something bad is going to happen. I pack of dogs was jumping on my back.

I was wondering if that was one of the scripted horde events?

I still think a 'crazy cat lady' zombie would be hilarious, especially in those dilapidated houses. An overweight half eaten woman dragging herself around, surrounded by a bunch of moldy felines, scrounging for a feed for her and her cats

Edited by Tetrameth (see edit history)

I was using a 4k monitor with a 1060 card and getting 10-20 fps so I decided to switch to a normal monitor and now on max settings I get 60+ fps all the time.

Yeah running games in 4k, either by native or upscaled, is intensive. I'm sure you can still use your 4K monitor, just make sure in your graphics settings (from your hardware software, like Nvidia control panel) aren't set to upscale or anything. Change them to Application controlled.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy crap, I was wrenching apart cars and it just started to rain and came in a downpour. I was just thinking that it this was a time when something bad is going to happen. I pack of dogs was jumping on my back.

I was wondering if that was one of the scripted horde events?

Lol! I think there's a scripted event after looting a buried supplies chest from a trader quest, I swear everytime i loot one a wandering horde spawns.

Be nice to have an anchor function so that item always goes there to that spot if you get one.

Oh yes yes yes! please :)

I replied to Gazz talking about inventoryhandling just last day with such idea/request/plead.

There must be dozens of us that would love such a thing, dozens!

17+ Demolishers from wrecking anything we throw in their path.

Fantastic story. I have not had any yet as i dont get past day 14 before i do a new map (next exp version).

Does the demolishers run up to a wall and detonate or do they just break it ? Did you just have a square base wall or maze type ?

Yeah running games in 4k, either by native or upscaled, is intensive. I'm sure you can still use your 4K monitor, just make sure in your graphics settings (from your hardware software, like Nvidia control panel) aren't set to upscale or anything. Change them to Application controlled.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol! I think there's a scripted event after looting a buried supplies chest from a trader quest, I swear everytime i loot one a wandering horde spawns.

Could not find upscale or native or application control anywhere in Nvidia control panel lol

On a side note I get 540 fps in the main menu lol. Then when I start game and it's loading it sadly goes to 2 then when I get in game it goes to 11 then I type gfx pp 0 it goes to 20 lol

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi,

Congrats on a job well done Fun Pimps - Alpha 18 is really great.

it would be nice to be able to set two separate XP multipliers for upgrading and mining - right now the XP earned for those seems a bit overrated especially in multiplayer(Coop) so it would be nice to have the possibility to set those parameters.

I simple suggestion, on Books when we already read it, it shows open book icon that I see most streamer are ignoring. and new player will ignore it too, So when we read book, can we change READ to "Re-Read" in button so people know they already read it?

No they should leave you alone unless injured or blood moon.

If I remember correctly, they attack you on a vehicle regardless of health level. They were that way in a17 as well.

B149 changelog states: "Updated PREGEN01-03"

What was updated on these maps? Is it worth to restart my game on one of these maps? Or is the update only minor?

THanks, yeah I'm having a blast with it as usual. Is a shotgun guy viable on horde night? I just have a crap q2 double barrel so hopefully things get better. I might need to get closer to them and build bars in my basement trench because shooting from above I have to wonder if half the rays are getting wasted.

How about a "no guns at all" build? Just to see if the game allows you to get along with no guns at all.

In earlier alphas this was still possible. Close combat and traditional weapons like the bow and the crossbow were equal and with a clever base design you could compensate the lack of DPS.

There are probably few players that can solo a 32 zed horde on nomad so I'd say its working pretty well tbh.

:) lol. Unexpected compliment. Thank You. I'm really not one to toot my own horn, but now you've put me into a position where it's relevant to discuss my own skills/limitations so now I have to talk about it :(. I'd say from my perspective that I could prolly solo a 32 zed horde using no skill points at all If I adjusted my normal play to compensate. As I said at the end " A greater focus on careful pulls/kiting/splitting enemy groups and farm can overcome most power differentials in this game if need be." As mentioned, baseline wooden club is basically the same DPS as baseline stun baton and I've been handling most POIs with baseline heavy armor + stun baton. A baseball bat, even unperked, would get me more killing power than a stun baton with perks. An AK, even unperked, would get me about the same killing power as 2 turrets and in some respects not being confined to a specific weapon can actually be a significant advantage. In fact, after I get through with a purist playthrough of each stat to day 40 I'll prolly do a playthrough with no weapon stats perked focusing on farm and flexibility. Though it'll be quite some time before I've gotten to that. As you mentioned, hours are limited :p.

From where I stand as a player 32 zeds on nomad is what I need to apply pressure to myself and give the chance/risk of failure playing normally and not doubling down on farm/build/pulls, thus it's what I need to be able to properly evaluate weapon power. But from my perspective what you're saying is "A Diamond League player was able to beat a Silver League Player with X character, therefore X character cannot be underpowered". But that's a fallacious comparison because balance is not a capability based thing but a relative power level thing.

How strong one weapon is vs another isn't based on what I can accomplish with it with my level of skill, but rather based on what I can accomplish with it relative to what I can accomplish with other weapons. For instance, explosives feels completely OP atm. I could prolly survive every horde night just by spamming unperked explosive arrows/bolts and grenades/pipe bombs with a based designed to take advantage of that. In fact, that's exactly what my agility playthrough did. I started using explosive arrows for horde nights and it just became explosive spam. I though maybe resources would be an issue, but as it turned out I could easily afford to craft 80ish explosive arrows per horde night and that's more than enough and I was actually stockpiling explosive arrows. Buy glue and duct tape from vendor, harvest all bones, you get duct tape for days....duct tape for DAYS. The gunpoweder is cheap with new mining. But even if duct tap was nerfed, Pipe bombs don't need duct tape and so I could just use pipe bombs for days. Slightly less effective than grenades/explosive arrows/bolts but more than enough. And I'm not even perked into those :p.

Edited by Ralathar44 (see edit history)

how big should be the performance difference between AF 0 and 1 usually without hitting vram limit?

for me its around +100% when i turn af off, which means its essentially still only playable with af 0 and blurry image. (28 vs 54fps)

this difference in performance feels a bit excessive, but not sure what i should expect here.

1440p, vega56 (8GB Vram), 8700k, 32gb ram

which af setting i use in driver settings does not make much difference, texturestreaming on or off too.

No, has.

The snow biome still has that exact same performance drop when looking at terrain that the first experimental build has. Desert has it also, but to a smaller extent.

Forest, Wasteland and BurnedBiome have no issue and are currently performing roughly the same as A17 (although i have to turn AF off for that, which hurts image quality, but that issue will hopefully be fixed sooner or later).

There's still plenty of people reporting it as well (specifically mentioning snow biome as well)

Edit: as far as numbers go, looking at lots of terrain in the Snowbiome, the fps can go as low as 15, but typically sits at 20-30FPS. Forest/Burned/Wasteland biome is ~50 FPS for me now(no drops).

Edit2: Specs: Intel 4.2 Ghz Quadcore (Haswell) , Radeon RX480 8GB, 16GB DDR3. Running 1080p on Win10. Texturesize or streaming/occlusion does not matter for framerate.

I can verify this. FPS is good elsewhere but snow biome is death to FPS and the more terrain you can see at once (ex being higher up or natural valleys/mountains) the worse your FPS gets. I dunno where it's the terrain textures or distant terrain or fog effects or what but wno biome is definitely having performance issues and desert is much smoother but can have an impact as well. Everywhere else is butter smooth pretty much.

I would like to thank @Faatal for his great work, and I am 100% sure that the bandits will be a great challenge for us and we will enjoy it

@Faatal is among my personal idols of this game.

I would like to thank @Faatal for his great work, and I am 100% sure that the bandits will be a great challenge for us and we will enjoy it

@Faatal is among my personal idols of this game.

But I am one of your personal idols outside of the game, right?

Well, I said one thing and MM said another. You can either believe him or me or both or neither or just be confused or unsure or take a nap or pretend you never read this.

Since you are doing he AI coding, I ALWAYS take your comments factually. Since you are also trying to optimize as well to kick performance up, You've done an amazing job in the last few weeks!

So you were in a crunch before a18 launch... id you expect an even bigger crunch after release?

The game has improved a lot because of you.. I hope yer in it for the long haul road to gold!

I know its tough to pop in and see mostly complaints, but THANK YOU! With this last build, its a big return of the game we've played the most. (Between us we have 6000+ hours!)

And that said, games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, God of War, Monster Hunter World, the dishonored series, Shadow of War, Vermintide 2, and many others have been sitting in the want to play pile, even though we bought them. I think the stack is well 2 feet high now, not counting digital purchases.

Glad we bought two RTX 2060 for a18 now!

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh. I completely understand the need to fix the "invisible barrier" issue with horizontal arrow slit blocks, but maybe just make it so that block can't be rotated to the horizontal?

NO! If I had my way, all blocks would have full rotation to feed our creativity.