Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

If you hover the mouse over the lock icon it pops out text of what you need to buy it. We're removing level gates, so that should simplify it even more.

♥♥♥♥. Did not notice that. Thanks MM.

One last thing then I promise I won't bother anymore....I found it hard to read journal entries as I was looking around for what I needed for the iron tools. Just throwing it out there it might be easier for peeps to read if everything wasn't CAPS :tickled_pink:

when I an looking at the console (F1) while logging on I always see:

2019-MM-DDT HH:MM:SS 193.052 INF Alt Slots does not contain female_hair_Shaggy02!

what the heck does that mean?

It's part of UMA, the players adjustable model system, as far as I can tell. Nothing to worry about.

Speaking of QOL things & button clicks, any chance of a shift-“x”button to remove all armor or all armor and clothes? When adding/moving mods, dumping all your armor into inventory at once to work on it would be nice. Excuse me if there already is and I don’t know about it. If not, can it be modded that way now?

Oh yeah, I always just got the one that caused ragdoll when you landed with power armor but sadly it damaged your friendly npcs when nearby, I think I killed the little grey kitty at Abernathy farm and was sad.

I think some of the books have stun and knockdown added to that type of firearm. By freeze you mean like cryo freeze? Ice form shout from skyrim?

Yeah, more like the cryo-freeze. In terms of duration of the freeze, I'd go with 60 seconds or so, since I'm envisioning such a mod as one that is tailored for stealth play-through or possibly intellect. So, for example say I decided to play stealthily and get into a tricky situation, I could equip my weapon with a cryo-freeze mod and then hit one zombie to deal with the main threat. If however, I decided to go as an intellect build, I could again equip my weapon with a same mod and instead use it to freeze enemies in place to let the others deal with them.

Speaking of QOL things & button clicks, any chance of a shift-“x”button to remove all armor or all armor and clothes? When adding/moving mods, dumping all your armor into inventory at once to work on it would be nice. Excuse me if there already is and I don’t know about it. If not, can it be modded that way now?

Being able to add/remove mods while still wearing the item would be significantly more useful, imo.

That is klunky. What if the user wants to iron sight to shoot a barrel in the distance to blow up 50 barrels to kill a huge horde, but can't because one weak zombie is near him?

What I described was just a shorthand for the feature. If a zombie is sneaking up behind you, and you don't see it, I wasn't suggesting that you have to suddenly turn around and hit it. If it were really to be implemented, it would be "the opponent is within X range, and you are definitely targeting it."

Obviously it would take a lot of tweaking to figure out what "definitely targeting it" means in game. Another reason I don't really think it will ever be implemented, probably not even as a mod.

EDIT: And I don't like the click-LMB-and-hold idea you put forth, pretty much exactly for the reason you described. I'd rather just keep things as is.

So looking forward to a18, this has been my favorite game for years. My first experience was logging into a MP server, finding myself in a dark world with a red sky, wondering what to do. Then I died.

I respawned, wondered what happened, and died again... I went back to play civilization instead.

Tried the next day, this time starting my own mp game and everything went well.

Couldn't stop since then. I've met so many people in this game, around the globe some of them are good friends of mine now. Just wanted to express my sincere thanks, I love you and your magnificent beard. Erm. Work I mean.

There is one thing I have always dreamt about: having a sort of UV light that slows down zombies at night. That would be great for base defenses. Perhaps make them overheat easily or use some other means to make them unreliable, creating a shock moment when they cut out.

I love Oh Crap moments, like when zombies break through a wall and are on top of you. Love the digging for that. Testing a17 mechanics, I went through several build ideas, one of them a mazed cave where I could shoot them from above. Nearly soiled myself when the ceiling opened up and zombies poured in.

I'm not sure why zombies are faster at night, I'm just assuming it has to do with sunlight :) a way to slow down zombies at night in some way, unreliable or hard to maintain, like you have to refuel it every hour, so it doesn't make things to easy. In a mp game it could be a delegated task, with one player operating the thing, requiring special protection from others so he doesn't die, a small invitation to roleplay.

Not a fully worked out idea I know but I'd like to know what you think of the general principle

Because lets say you are going to use 5 items in succession, you press shift ONCE and hold it down as you click each of the items. So to use 5 items it would be 6 total actions. With the current method it would be 10. He is right. I've played Empyrion and it is a nice feature. Not a must have but it makes doing certain things much less tedious feeling.

The shift click to loot items is pretty much the same thing and already in the game so the code to implement is possibly already there.

Thank you, a much clearer description. This exactly.

If you hover the mouse over the lock icon it pops out text of what you need to buy it. We're removing level gates, so that should simplify it even more.

Yeah... that isn't well understood at all. I'm the player with the least amount of time amongst my friends (at 429 hours), and if I hadn't gotten distracted one day with the mouse in just the right spot, we'd never have known it was there.

I'm not a UI/UX expert at all, but maybe some way to indicate that mouseover has info, or simply clicking on "Buy" giving a popup with the requirements for the perk rank or something might help with that. Even speeding up how fast the tooltip appears might help.

Yeah... that isn't well understood at all. I'm the player with the least amount of time amongst my friends (at 429 hours), and if I hadn't gotten distracted one day with the mouse in just the right spot, we'd never have known it was there.

I'm not a UI/UX expert at all, but maybe some way to indicate that mouseover has info, or simply clicking on "Buy" giving a popup with the requirements for the perk rank or something might help with that. Even speeding up how fast the tooltip appears might help.

I like the idea of reducing the delay on the...wait a minute....is that a squirrel in your shirt pocket...?

So mess up your own game !!

From the game about building, it turned out an action

and that one is a curve. . Dubin kills with 3 hits, and the AK-47 submachine gun does the same with three hits. I am from an AK-47 machine gun, I could shoot enemies through a car, and there was no damp place left from them! And what's in the game !?

5% increased damage! And what is not at 0.0005? :) Autoamt at least 50%. (they do it in mods)

Return the game about building where the hammer is normal.

You are doing everything to lose, all the best that was obtained with such difficulty!

Any chance you'll add the requirements you need to unlock new skills? Hate to refer to Bethesda stuff but the Skyrim style visual skill tree is very nice. I'm struggling to know what to I need to buy to unlock what I want.

Example: as a noob, trying to unlock Hammer and Forge level 2 so I can craft some simple iron tools. it's greyed/locked. I have H&F Level 1, Level 5 in Intellect. Do I just keep putting points in Intellect? Is there another perk associated with it I haven't bought yet?

Right now I feel like I'm blindfolded and throwing darts at a dartboard trying to hit a bullseye.

Thanks!

Hover your mouse over the lock icon. It tells you what you need.

So I assume higher perk-levels will cost more points. Will perk-points per level-up also increase at specific levels?

Hover your mouse over the lock icon. It tells you what you need.

I'd suggest reading on when you are reading older posts before answering, because these have be answered (multiple times), now you're just cluttering the forum.

On topic, I'm with Ezed on this one, a friend told me about the "hover over lock icon" thing or else I would have still been in the dark on that.

The only issue I have with all the new 20 hour players chatter, is SO much of the game isn't even seen at 20 hours in.. electricity, higher level vehicles and the like.

Maybe a non repair flag could be added for found vehicles? So on day 1 you are lucky enough to hind a motorcycle or gyro that works, but when it breaks it can only be scrapped or abandoned?

That would give new players a great preview of whats to come, but not long enough to break progression.

Guppy has something similar with being able to find working vehicles, but I don't know if his can be repaired or if they just wear out and break down.

when I an looking at the console (F1) while logging on I always see:

2019-MM-DDT HH:MM:SS 193.052 INF Alt Slots does not contain female_hair_Shaggy02!

what the heck does that mean?

Hardwood floors bud!!

- - - Updated - - -

So mess up your own game !!

From the game about building, it turned out an action

and that one is a curve. . Dubin kills with 3 hits, and the AK-47 submachine gun does the same with three hits. I am from an AK-47 machine gun, I could shoot enemies through a car, and there was no damp place left from them! And what's in the game !?

5% increased damage! And what is not at 0.0005? :) Autoamt at least 50%. (they do it in mods)

Return the game about building where the hammer is normal.

You are doing everything to lose, all the best that was obtained with such difficulty!

Wait...your Mom was an AK-47???

QUESTS:

CAN WE GET A QUEST THAT HAS A PLAYER DELIVER A TRADER PACKAGE TO ANOTHER TRADER?

This would be useful in discovering other traders, especially larger maps.

What do you all think? Shouldnt be too hard to impliment for the pimps?

I agree completely. I was also another player who was confused (and I've now got about 1200 hours in game), and there were a ton of other players who were also confused when this was introduced in A17e.

Back then I suggested a UI change so that the lock icon looks more like an info button, or at least that the background for the icon would not be the same as the rest of the row. I also like the idea of the tooltip appearing quicker.

Whatever is done, it needs to be something, because this has been asked a ton of times.

Hey all!

I hate to be that guy, but I was wondering how close we are to A18. Are TFP still on track for the first half of the year or sooner? I haven’t played since A16, I wanted to give the game a whirl again but I don’t want to start and then have to restart if A18 releases soon.

I know release dates aren’t given anymore, but I’m just looking for the overall temperature in the room.

Thanks!

-Ghost

Archived