Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

For your veteran fans or people who are more skilled at the game, this challenge (I feel) comes a little too late.

Sets the difficulty to Insane and the zombie to always run. Then you are challenged from the first second on.

The standard difficulty is Adventurer. This is only one level above the easiest difficulty level. So if you want it extra hard you can have it.

Lmao! You can't penalize players for not being 100% full and then act like they're doing something wrong for trying to stay full. Well I mean you can since that's what you're doing right now, but its really silly.

Maybe at 50% food start penalizing stamina.

A body will not slow down energy output until the liver has depleted its store of energy (about 2000 kCal).

THEN you will feel a bit tired as your body works on taping fat energy (it takes more effort so you feel tired).

sorry Fataal, but I've tested it. 3/4 zombies immediately run for the weak block. 1/4 will stick to the first block they encounter FOR a few seconds before most of those 1/4 goes for the weak block too (as it get damage).

https://imgur.com/a/p6wFTwy

21 zed, 15 goes for the weak block, 6 stick around their spot for a bit until the weak block get about 50% damage and then all but 1 goes for the weak block. as soon as one of the weak block break, the last 1 also goes there (which is fair enough) to beat on the last weak block.

Current: https://imgur.com/a/4HveLJB

it just imo, I would make zombie ai ignore block max hp when calculating path, treating all block as the same, so it would first make a B line to you instead of work out which block is the weakest.

https://i.imgur.com/7VZ39Io.jpg

THEN each time the path is update (or about 10~20 second), if there is no changes (no block get destroy and updating the path), have the AI check 2-3 block next to them https://i.imgur.com/lr2swcD.jpg , if it have been damage, it would switch https://i.imgur.com/cEYXfrP.jpg, and when a new path open up, zed would use that path https://i.imgur.com/dS9c7F5.jpg.

this way zed would slowly concentrate on a few spots https://i.imgur.com/cEYXfrP.jpg, instead of the whole horde concentrate on a single spot as soon as a block get damage. https://i.imgur.com/BODrN5G.jpg

I agree. Zombies should not know the HP of any block. If a block gets destroyed, and there is an opening, that is when I expect them to move from a non broken block to the gap. "Randomising' zombie behaviour (as Faatal put it) does not fix the problem. None of them should have HP block knowledge. None of them.

?? Could my antivirus software be part of the slowdown?

Silly thought perhaps, but since I used Resource Monitor to investigate my poor game performance I found that my CPU was maxed out at 100% most of the time, but would give decent bursts of play every once in a while after a much shorter recovery of available CPU cycles.

Anyway, investigating the processes responsible led me to find it was largely 7D2D, and my antivirus (Malwarebytes) that were eating all the cycles.

I've since configured MWB to specifically ignore the 7D2D exe, and the launcher, and my game is flowing well since, allowing me to increase settings, increase textures, and be free of the stuttering and bogging down in the inventory and campfire screens.

FPS still ranges from 20's to 70's, but the game is smooth, comfortable and pretty once again.

Performance feedback: Vega 56 (8GB), 1080p60 (vsync on), R5 3600, 16GB RAM, NVMe install, Win10 (DX11)/Fedora Linux(DX11 via Proton)

gfx af 0 = huge gains outdoors, allowing comfortable 60fps on b143 with few other tweaks. Indoors was already excellent for me.

Navezgane (small hill immediately NW of spawn, looking East).

Default Ultra: 32fps @100% GPU.

gfx af 0: 50fps @100% GPU.

SS Reflections off: ~60fps @100% GPU.

Motion Blur -> Off & Depth of Field -> No (I dislike these anyway) : 60fps @80-90% GPU - happy with this!

Not observed VRAM being maxed.

Because most players on day 7 will run out of ammo. Having them last all night is punishing someone for being good.

[...]

minus leveling fast, thats a no no early on for me. Leveling to fast greatly increases the probability of dieing.

u mean its punishing you for being good :strawberry:

25 up to 40 fps on ULTRA with my potato Radeon RX590 - 8GB

nvidia marketing working just fine if u think rx590 is a "potato"

For those with low fps problems have you all done the simple- turning off game DVR in Xbox app on win10? I had fps problems with another game and disabling the DVR and gamebar improved performance X3. Not saying it will work here but I thought it is info worth passing on.

I'm seeing between 38-90fps outside with i5-4670k(stock clock ATM), rx570, 8gb system ram so not the most powerful PC around but I see smooth gameplay so far.

Oh and To FunPimps, great job on a18. Fell out of love with the game in a16-17 for some reason but I'm back enjoying it again so thankyou very much.

New update performs better for me. Playing PREGEN02 in the snow biome and my FPS hold steady most of the time (40 to 50 FPS). Will get occassional dips into the 10-15 FPS range outside but cant seem to pinpoint whats causing it. Are there some weather effects that cause more FPS loss then others? (i.e. fog)

And one more thing: how are zombies supposed to know, there is a hole on the opposite side of the building? way out of their line of sitght...

you need to remember that this is a game, not real life. Computer don't "see" you, it calculate the path to you. It calculate the fastest and efficient path to you. That why I don't want the zed AI to calculate in the block health into their pathfinding, I just want it to "see" if there a block in their path or not (1 or 0). Then calculate which is the most efficient path within a small radius.

but I'm just another player, not a real game dev (still beginner stuff). I did mention in another test with 200 zed and it seem that at least 25%~50% zed still goes for weak spot (because they're close to it), while the rest was somewhat random, but that was 200 zed at once. And it feel like the randomness was due to it too far from the weak spot to calculate it in, I did have to stop the ai very quick because as soon as the weaker block break because it gonna change their pathing.

I don't know their code so I can only take Faatal words for it that it is random. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

maybe when I have time, I'll try a trickling random zombie type test instead of 200 at once.

Is it possible to continue your safegame from Alpha 18 (b139) without having issues? I don’t wanna restart because of a good start unless needed.

you can continue with it. There still a small chance of restarting when A18 goes stable build or something major that affect the world build (like the current AMD rwg).

Hello! Low FPS at below average settings. 17 alpha was better than twice. CPU - AMD FX-8320E, RAM - 24GB DDR3 1866, GPU - GTX750 Ti, VRAM - 2 gb. Developers, help. advise how to increase FPS!

I think even the developers here will suggest an upgrade ASAP. That gpu alone is going to stomp on your parade time and time again.

Well I didn't fall into a crack this time in RWG but the problem is still there. For me it was Biome specific & I think it was Desert or Destroyed where it looked like someone took a giant rake to the Biome & not as high as before.

I'm getting 60 FPS but because I have 3 monitors it divides it by 3 showing 20 FPS on screen. I get a higher FPS if I drop it down to 1920 X 1080 but really with the higher Res & 3 monitors I have great performance, no lag, runnin around the map, have to adjust my DPI to the lowest setting because my character is so flighty so overall out of the box is great for me, even runnin everything on High...

Can't wait till the real Optimization begins...

For me RWG is unplayable like this with AMD, I am playin Prefab 02 now

Dropped down to 1920 X 1080 with 60 FPS straight up at the sky, same performance as the higher Res.

I think I might have a FPS lock on my card, I'll check that later.

Is it possible to fix the terrain that it does not look like toast. Large pieces of my map begin to look like this.

Using Nvidia 970 card

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29612[/ATTACH]

Same thing I'm getting in RWG, mine is Vertical though & a different Biome also. I have no problem in Nav or any of the 3 Prefabs.

I am talking about gamestaging, not changing the difficulty setting. The difficulty you mention is quite broad, and while it accelerates gamestage also changes many other aspects of the game such as zombie health and probability of raging.

If you want to speed up the gamestaging, without making the game more difficult overall, than you can increase the XP multiplier to level faster.

There is no "one fits all" in the difficulty settings. Some want a more relaxed game and others want it as hard as possible. I think the default settings are good as they are. The feral zombies are a little early in A18 for my taste, but since the armor works better now, and armor is easy to come by, it is manageable.

Any post about low performance needs to provide systems specs (CPU, RAM, GPU, VRAM) and some settings like screen resolution or you will just get poor guesses from us. Even if you posted it before, I am not hunting around for it.

Always check your resolution after an update. I've seen might get changed to 4k, since I have a 4k monitor.

So to expand on a previous post of mine, my game wouldn't run well in Fullscreen mode. Choppy, getting 20 fps or lower. It didn't matter what resolution I was at, what my quality settings were in game, whether EAC was on or off, NOTHING changed the outcome. Low, choppy fps. Until I just discovered something odd. Here's my system settings again:

CPU: Intel i7 4790k 4.0GHz

GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 1080 8GB, latest drivers installed (436.48)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1600

Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Typically when I play games, I have twitch streams, youtube videos or something of the like going on my other monitor to watch while I play. Turns out if a video is playing, that's what causes my low and choppy fps. As soon as I pause the video, performance increases dramatically! Oh it gets even stranger. Let's say I have the video playing, and I mute my system using my keyboard's mute button. Windows 10 add this little overlay when you mute and unmute your system in the corner of your screen:

Iohvl1F.jpg

Super handy! Especially considering that when this overlay is up, even while a video is playing which normally demolishes my performance... my framerate is buttery smooth. No hitching, no chop. As soon as it goes away, it's back to being unplayable. So this clearly is not a game issue, it's a Windows issue. I have no clue what it's doing to cause this or how to stop it. Funny enough, I get better performance using the Vulkan renderer, until it crashes after a few minutes of play. Maybe some weird interaction with the DX11 renderer? I have no idea. Hopefully someone out there can shed some light on this issue, so I can enjoy A18 in all its glory.

I pieced together a minibike on day 15. Sometimes I cave in and buy the bicycle perk but my trader is close to a town so travel time to quests hasn't been horrible.

I got really lucky and found motorcycle parts -competed on day 13. I am having a real hard time restarting with the new patch :-)

Archived