Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

It’s people jumping the gun and reporting to the public about poor performance in an experimental version instead of posting it here where it belongs and is most helpful that will cause more delay in future releases and perhaps even restricted access to experimental versions.

It is the intended purpose of experimental. We opt in to help test things and work out the bugs. Of course they want a smooth launch. This is not the launch... people need to start understanding that or we could lose this privilege.

its Experntental!

its called that for a reason! people that give this or any other game a bad review cuz they used a beta piss me off

Two of those so far. A couple of sledge hammers. A pistol. A hunting rifle. A shotgun. All low quality but helpful. I'm really enjoying the spear though, and I've only got a stone one so far.

Haven't seen much wildlife in the snow biome, but will keep my eyes peeled after reading the experience of others.

WHAT DA F have you been raiding?? FORT KNOX???!!

also i found a suppressor once!

@madmole what weapon class do your prefer?

and do you think that anytime soon that the out door FPS issue will be fixed?

Depends on my mood but I think I prefer strength or fortitude as equals, with agility next, perception and intellect last. I say play them all, one brand new game at a time. For a nomad I wouldn't do strength but would lean towards perception or agility. If I'm in the mood to build I will do strength.

people need to start understanding that

This will never happen.

Of course it's obvious what experimental is for. But does anyone honestly think the greater public thinks that way?

Hell, you've got people modifying their steam reviews based on experimental builds. Is that right? No ofcourse not.

Why would TFP want a smoother launch compared to A17 when it's "just experimental" anyway. It's because it does matter in the public perception, and they've learned that now.

Depends on my mood but I think I prefer strength or fortitude as equals, with agility next, perception and intellect last. I say play them all, one brand new game at a time. For a nomad I wouldn't do strength but would lean towards perception or agility. If I'm in the mood to build I will do strength.

cool!

i'm more of a spear kind of guy i love the spear my new favorite weapon

but im excited to test out the baseball bats and other stuff!

- - - Updated - - -

Nests are a poor source of feathers.

vultures/chickens?

WHAT DA F have you been raiding?? FORT KNOX???!!

also i found a suppressor once!

Just houses, if I remember correctly. A tool shop... yeah. Guess I've been really lucky. Found loads of iron armour too but I keep scrapping it cos I don't want to be encumbered.

I've got mods for most of my tools too.

I only got about three hours on it yesterday, really excited to play again.

Nope. Go vulture hunting or buy the arrow retrieval perk or travel more to find more nests. You don't get to exclusively use a bow unless you work for it. You need to use some melee and save bow for when you are hurt and can't risk getting hit, or spend more time nest hunting. I always had 100-1000+ feathers because I killed loads of vultures. I sold stacks of feathers at traders, you are doing something wrong. Perk into stealth so your stealth arrows do more damage thus needing less arrows/feathers.

Yeah it is fine. I use the bow quite a lot and still have a stack and a half of extra feathers. It does not need increased, agree, is fine where it is.

The bows are awesome btw. Naturally the primitive bow is kinda janky, but it works. I love the feel of the tier 2 wooden bow, nice model fir it too. And I just got a compound bow as a quest reward, man is it tight. Overall love the feel of all the new weapons so far, much more polished this alpha.

I can see now how you got your son, who's into more modern FPS games, into this alpha. I'm expecting the same response from mine. He plays a ton of current FPS games, R6:Seige, COD, Apex, PUBG, etc. I only play R6:Seige, and I sincerely dig it. Only game I've been playing while waiting on A18 to drop.

It was pretty jarring going from that to 7DTD, before, but was a much smoother transition this time. I keep trying to lean when I peek corners, lol, but I have yet to be surprised by a Z while crawling a POI, get the drop on them every time, so far. R6 got me super tuned for it. I highly recommend that game to anyone who used to play FPS back in the day and got burnt out on them, like me. Mainly because it is so tactical, like an FPS chess game in a way. If you can tolerate/ignore the toxic kids(is not always bad), is best to play with friends, it really is a well made game. First FPS my son got good at, after that he immediately tops leader boards when playing any other FPS because of it. But now I am back to 7DTD, and will be for a good long time, and I am looking forward to playing a few with him.

About to have my first horde night. Gonna kick'm in the amazeballs. Bravo TFP, you've seriously raised the bar this time.

I honestly don't think this is intended.

You guys went to so much trouble and hard work making sure this would be a relatively smooth launch, because of what happened with a17, and when you look at the steam forums, this forum, and twitch, people are talking about the bad performance. (On the flip side, that seems to be about the only bad part of this release, so kudos for that :))

As far as this being an experimental to an early access game, yes that is true. But public perception being what it is, the real worlkd doesnt work that way. First impressions matter, no matter if it's experimental. That type of information just gets lost in the noise.

Hope you guys prepare a better launch for A19/Gold. :)

There is no way to prepare for all the different computer configurations out there. Its unfortunate and we're looking at it. Most people avoid experimental so I don't think what you are saying is 100% true. All of our builds peaked sometime after we went stable.

I still have'nt started building a base: I wandered in the wilderness and tried to heal my infection ^^.

On the way, I found a very nice little PoI. I will use it in PVP after a short, unfair trial:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/772855510638581325/50B3CE0C3905A4472083EA9F1DE197BFADDB3050/

By the way : the patch-note would have been much shorter if you had only listed what has NOT changed :D

\ I love the feel of the tier 2 wooden bow, nice model fir it too. \

yes i love the model of it its good!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I still have'nt started building a base: I wandered in the wilderness and tried to heal my infection ^^.

On the way, I found a very nice little PoI. I will use it in PVP after a short, unfair trial:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/772855510638581325/50B3CE0C3905A4472083EA9F1DE197BFADDB3050/

By the way : the patch-note would have been much shorter if you had only listed what has NOT changed :D

thats nice lol

For A19 do u plan to remove vehicle crafting perks. I will never perk into them so long as there is schematics, it would be cool to have something else in intellect instead, as a replacement

No it needs to stay as there are those games where you might not find what you want. We'll embellish them with something extra down the road, like I want to do random break downs and you have to repair your vehicle. Imagine the lock pick mini game using repair kits to pull off a repair and you broke down in the wasteland. Each rank makes a better chance for a successful and faster repair. So a non perked guy might blow through 10 repair kits and walk home because he ran out. Right now vehicles are unbalanced and don't degrade like they should. Just driving should cause wear and tear not just collisions.

I have a question is the ability to smelt dukes staying in 7dtd because some of the time I can get brass shortages not often but some of the time and the ability to smelt a bit of money is very nice

We just added it, why would we take it out?

Infection is no joke in the first days. I was in the same boat. Couldn’t find enough stumps in the green forest to keep it down... had to trek it to the snow biome and didn’t leave until I had a decent stock of honey. Good times, nonetheless.

The regular attack seems fine to me honestly. But that power attack should really arc and swing imo. Follow through hard.

Lol here I'm making the motions with my arms like y'all can see haha. It's hard to explain in words what I mean.

We're trying one weapon out to see how it feels, if we like it we'll go wide.

It’s people jumping the gun and reporting to the public about poor performance in an experimental version instead of posting it here where it belongs and is most helpful that will cause more delay in future releases and perhaps even restricted access to experimental versions.

It is the intended purpose of experimental. We opt in to help test things and work out the bugs. Of course they want a smooth launch. This is not the launch... people need to start understanding that or we could lose this privilege.

I agree. Any reviewer complaining about the experimental release in a game review loses credibility with me.

Yes I love doing the buried treasures now, it gets me a power food item, a recipe and some much needed food, and I can do these at night, with caution of course.

I also did a good number of buried treasure quests, feels more varied now than before. I even had one underneath a POI, which never happened in A17. It was under the parking lot of the Waterworks... or so I thought. I dug down in the dirt strip between the lot and the road, tunneled over to the marker, then spent half a day clearing a cavern, nothing. Went back up top and the dang chest was inside one of the metal walkway support pillars a few blocks above the ground, ha. I coulda just walked in and grabbed it right away.

The very next one was on a hillside. I thought it would take awhile, saw Madmole dig up half a hillside looking for one in Primes stream the other night. I marked out the perimeter with frames, went to the center, one shot with a shovel and bam there it was, immediately. The rest were pretty normal feeling, but those 2 were distinct. Not sure if they're supposed to spawn under/within POIs, but it adds an interesting variable.

This will never happen.

Of course it's obvious what experimental is for. But does anyone honestly think the greater public thinks that way?

Hell, you've got people modifying their steam reviews based on experimental builds. Is that right? No ofcourse not.

Why would TFP want a smoother launch compared to A17 when it's "just experimental" anyway. It's because it does matter in the public perception, and they've learned that now.

It is what it is. Noone saw this coming. AFAIK at worst it matched 17 at best, much faster.

Infection is no joke in the first days. I was in the same boat. Couldn’t find enough stumps in the green forest to keep it down... had to trek it to the snow biome and didn’t leave until I had a decent stock of honey. Good times, nonetheless.

I confirm ^^. In my new game, I was infected by the first zombie I met. I rushed into a POI to try to find an antibiotic and there, luckily, I looted the book that gives a little chance to find honey by chopping trees. But believe me, it's a really low chance. Since then, I have amassed more than 2500 woods and I am still not cured, I can just contain the infection. I just love it.

Archived