Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

So to be clear, Alabaster's point was that he was meeting feral/rager zombies (the glowing eye'd zed's) on day 2 - and you are OK with this?

So far, I'm four for four game starts meeting ferals on day 2 in the AM. They've usually been wandering around my location from the night before.

I'm also four for four games where I've had a pack of dogs home in on my location, on Day 2 in the afternoon.

I don't think that falls within the definition of "low chance." :)

-A

Yes I'm totally fine with it. Hide in your base until they die at noon ish, out run them, kill them etc. We might kill them off sooner, but a little wariness is what the doctor ordered in this game IMO.

Wandering hordes are random, so it can be dogs, a horde, etc.

Yes I'm totally fine with it. Hide in your base until they die at noon ish, out run them, kill them etc. We might kill them off sooner, but a little wariness is what the doctor ordered in this game IMO.

MadMole, remember what I said months ago when it seemed A18 would be harder. Don’t let the vocal whiners convince you to nerf the difficulty in everything, please :)

exactly the same feeling with 1070. I switched off distant terrain, and looked on an empty hill. I got 19 FPS with nothing on the screen but an empty hill. In the town with zombies i got 60 FPS.

Yeah. At this point there's nothing more I/we can test as far as this performance problem, until someone can give us a list to run off specific rendering options using the gfx command.

At this point, if i were a dev, i'd be looking at what are you making the GPU do in every other biome than the city biome, that you are making it do in the wilderness biomes.

keep trying things.

See my post above. We've pretty much exhausted our options here. From every setting ingame, to every driver setting, to game start options like force3d9, to running windowed, vsync on/off, lowering resolution, updating drivers.

Something is seriously bottlenecking our GPU's :(

Are there more commands we can use with the 'gfx' command?

What perk/attribute is vehicle crafting under? Only got to play for a few hours yesterday and just have passed over it.

Grease Monkey. You can also find schematics for vehicle parts, or buy vehicle schematics/parts/full vehicles at traders (but for extremely exorbitant prices; especially the lattermost option). Wheels are unlocked after Tier 1 of Grease Monkey.

So your hypothesis is that the dedicated server bypasses the GPU when creating the world?

Hm, neat.

I watched the task manager of Win10 pro, and there was no GPU load while generating. Only 99% CPU load.

But I must admit I don't whether GPU load is shown correctly...

EDIT:

It seems logical to me, for not every dedicated server has a high end graphics adapter. They just don't need it.

Playing on Nomad, totally different experience at night.

First night in burnt biome, feral spider chased me around a poi.

Did a buried supply quest at night and was attacked by four zeds, had to lure them away and hide.

Another night came back from a poi to a pack of 4 dogs waiting for me at my little camp, had to lure them back to the poi and pick em off from safety.

Have you thrown up yet? That can make a night run home much more dangerous

Sounds exciting so far. As to your question, no dysentary yet for me and I'm on day 3 now just drinking only boiled water. I love the tension I feel everytime I gulp one tho. Will see how it goes.

Love it how it is right now.

That's simply not true. Both stone and iron arrows use feathers. Only steel arrows use plastic. I'm feeling the feather nerf hard as I like to use the bow. Steel arrows are quite a ways down the road so maybe turning up the feather loot a touch is worth looking at.

Nope. Go vulture hunting or buy the arrow retrieval perk or travel more to find more nests. You don't get to exclusively use a bow unless you work for it. You need to use some melee and save bow for when you are hurt and can't risk getting hit, or spend more time nest hunting. I always had 100-1000+ feathers because I killed loads of vultures. I sold stacks of feathers at traders, you are doing something wrong. Perk into stealth so your stealth arrows do more damage thus needing less arrows/feathers.

There is copy shape but I think it only appears on the same material block, until we get them unified with some changes this limitation will exist.

EDIT: I'm not 100% on this but noticed it disappear before.

Thanks. I'll take a look at it again when I get home from work. I'm pretty sure when I was looking to see if this feature existed, I was working with wood. However, the block in hand was a frame, and the block in the crosshair was an upgraded wood block. Perhaps that is considered a different material block?

This alpha runs well for me. I do like the rage feature...creating so many "oh ♥♥♥♥" moments. I didn't play for too long but with a 200 hrs in alpha17, i died 3 times in 2 days which is great lol. The only annoying thing is that there are too many vultures...my god...i had to run from house to house just to take cover from them...until I've found the first double barrel :)

Kudos for you devs!

Oh, one more thing...Joel, i challenge you to take a sledgehammer, do a power attack and try to stop it mid-air like the animation does!

Cheerio!

We're looking at follow through power attack animations now.

Have no problems yet. Had the most wonderfull spawn location ever.... right next to a trader and ending up to be the one i had to find. Could not believe my eyes. Unfortunately in a snow biome.

Day two and only found a 9mm, but a iron spear as well.

Better stock up on food or GTFO of there, once the noob protection wears off it gets cold and you will burn a lot of calories if you are cold.

Started a new game in snow biome and i get 22 fps. I'm afraid to imagine what will happen on the red night. if you look at the sky, or is in a building, then the FPS rises. I hope you fix it as soon as possible.

Try what Fataal said: Open console, and type GFX DT.

That switches off Distant Terrain (or on). It gave me a 20% fps boost

Hello everyone.

Just want to share my experience.

I have about an hour of playtime, did the basic quests, did some looting, setup a drop point for me loot.

As far as performance I was experiencing similar things that everyone else has already mentioned.

My Machine Setup:

Core i5 760 (yep that is first gen)

16GB 1600Mhz Ram,

MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor MK2 8G OC Gaming

ssd hard drive

3 x Dell 22" Monitors @ 1680 x 1050

in A17 with almost everything on ultra setting I was getting 60 - 80 fps on average. When I logged in I got 50fps, tweaked a couple settings, and am getting 60fps on average. with the 1680 x 1050 resolution. Oh an had to reduce my gamma a bit.

I tried to generate a random gen world but got the weird comb like terrain bug.

The only thing I haven't seen posted which I experienced while looting was when you break down a shotgun messiah or shamway foods crate or similar and then you have to move the mouse before you get the prompt to loot the box. I also tried just pressing the button to loot it but it does nothing, you have to move the cursor some amount and I am assuming it needs to reacquire the box as a target and then give you the option to loot it.

That is the only thing I have noticed. I really like the new weapon choices, can't wait to try them all, I like that everything seems to be destructible and has some resource you can use for the game. Super excited to play more.

Cheers

Speaking of which, imagine my surprise when I was trying to track down my loot junk turret I forgot to pick up, when I see an icon for it on the map!

THANK YOU!

Its really too early for me to judge, but I think there 8s a huge imbalance now between the rwg and pois

We USED to explore the world, and the pois were just loot boxes to visit on occasion. NOW however, the pois are almost up to AAA standard, and the world is this big empty lifeless void between them.

It might be this playthrough in burning land, but the outside world holds little attraction to explore like it used to.

It's not just the loss of the old caves, but the burning land looks very empty, almost to the point of low poly 3d video game worlds from 15-20 years ago.

It might feel different once I have transport and can explore the other biomes, but there is no real threat outdoors at all, and nights up to at least day 8 are a cakewalk. I spent one digging a quest, one surface mining iron, and another going to pick up a drop.

I ran into a few night runners, but nothing I couldn't easily handle except taking a few hits.

It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds as my gamestage increases.

There should be wilderness POIS spread between towns to keep things interesting, but maybe there is a bug in the burnt biome, I haven't spent a ton of time there.

There is a small chance for ferals to spawn at night, so you have been lucky so far I would say. Lots of people are getting rekt, and I will tell you that you got very lucky to not have died so far, because it happens. One great game, then a really rough one can happen.

ok people saying junk turrets are op? finally killed my first zed with a yellow junk turret... took 20 shots. no perks yet, but peeps saying it is op straight out? bull♥♥♥♥

We nerfed it since streamer weekend a bit without perks.

just wrapping up after son #3 and myself just surviving day 7 horde.

absolutely awesome!

the constant feel to do something is definitely there; food, no! water, no! gunpowder, where the f is some coal!

yeah we got enough bullets

holy crap ive run out of bullets!

day 8 about to craft some motorbikes and head for the forest to get away from the heat!

10/10 tfp!

no bugs at all yet :-)

Awesome. You will find the game goes in stages where you are weak, powerful, then weak again, then powerful again, etc.

Awesome. You will find the game goes in stages where you are weak, powerful, then weak again, then powerful again, etc.

I hope that is true! The game hasn't been like that in awhile. Either way, if that is the goal for how you want the game to be - then it's a good goal to have.

Archived