Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

So I am stuck with low FPS ? or is there any work around? I will try to reinstall game though.

Fataal's earlier advice to turn off Distant Terrain has worked well for me (although I still find bad lag in Inventory and Cookingpot menus).

His suggestion: Go into console (F1). Turn off Dist Terrain (gfx dt).

Repeat the process to get dist terrain back when you need it.

It's made the game playable again, and I've been able to lift many grafics options to a pleasant level with DT disabled.

Hey TFP - A18 is awesome!

A few minor glitches here and there but overall a very soft landing as far as my game play goes.

Well done all!

So to be clear, Alabaster's point was that he was meeting feral/rager zombies (the glowing eye'd zed's) on day 2 - and you are OK with this?

So far, I'm four for four game starts meeting ferals on day 2 in the AM. They've usually been wandering around my location from the night before.

I'm also four for four games where I've had a pack of dogs home in on my location, on Day 2 in the afternoon.

I don't think that falls within the definition of "low chance." :)

-A

Yeah, MM has previously acknowledged his preferred technique is to configure stuff way harder than it likely needs to be, then to wind it back in later updates, depending on all the griping from the players.

My own grizzles include the dog pack at way too early a stage, but top of my list is the frequency of infections, and the relatively low incidence of cures (at least thats the case in the early gamestages).

Snow biome was awash with Snow Zombies. Took a bunch of damage from them, then had a glowing eyed Wolf, followed by a Cougar to finish me off.... Day 2. Sheesh.

However... I may just need to adjust my playstyle. A17 made it too easy to go melee all the way (and to attack everything), and that is proving to be a bad way to start in A18... so back to arrows and maybe spear for my primary attack/defense I think... at least until I've got some armour, strength and other attributes to back up a melee playstyle.

Another bug I encounter. I have 2 iron spear, one in belt and other was in inventory. I throw one miss zombie and it stuck in ground. Then I die. Return to place, I pick my backpack. It put my inventory iron spear on my belt and everything else goes in place. now I go to one stuck in ground. Pick it up and it never reach my inventory, and belt already have other spear. So it never make to belt. and now I am left with one spear only.

My laptop which could play alpha 17.3 fine on highest settings stopped handling the frame rates in 17.4 and now worse in alpha 18. Can someone tell me where my problem is from my specs? And I never thought I would have the problem with it , is it really to old for this game?

intel core i7-7700hq cpu @ 2.80GHz 2.81GHz 4 core 8 processors, windows 10 12.0gb memory.

let me know if I didn't list anything, I'm getting 2-15 fs now on medium settings with some of the options off to help like bloom and reflexion off

This alpha runs well for me. I do like the rage feature...creating so many "oh ♥♥♥♥" moments. I didn't play for too long but with a 200 hrs in alpha17, i died 3 times in 2 days which is great lol. The only annoying thing is that there are too many vultures...my god...i had to run from house to house just to take cover from them...until I've found the first double barrel :)

Kudos for you devs!

Oh, one more thing...Joel, i challenge you to take a sledgehammer, do a power attack and try to stop it mid-air like the animation does!

Cheerio!

The new rage mechanic makes fighting more than one zombie at a time a real challenge. I definitely didnt respect it at first and got rekt. Now, I'm more tactical when fighting a group.

if on alpha 17.4 I got 40-60 fps on my laptop, now I get 22-40 fps in cities, and when running it drops to 15. definitely I need to optimize this game, it’s not possible to play yet.

bug

if on alpha 17.4 I got 40-60 fps on my laptop, now I get 22-40 fps in cities, and when running it drops to 15. definitely I need to optimize this game, it’s not possible to play yet.

god i cant play 7d2d a18 really all to bug :(

Have no problems yet. Had the most wonderfull spawn location ever.... right next to a trader and ending up to be the one i had to find. Could not believe my eyes. Unfortunately in a snow biome.

Day two and only found a 9mm, but a iron spear as well.

Missing zombies with your spear and having to run in circles being chased by them while you try to find it and pick it up without being hit is hilarious.

9/10 - could only be improved by the addition of Yakety Sax.

Missing zombies with your spear and having to run in circles being chased by them while you try to find it and pick it up without being hit is hilarious.

+1 And running after an injured wolf to get back my spear was a great moment too.

+1 And running after an injured wolf to get back my spear was a great moment too.

I had a great moment yesterday when I was fighting two zombies on day one. I finish the first one off with my spear and upon dying he promptly ragdolls off a cliff with my spear still stuck in him, forcing me to scramble down after him trying not to break a leg while avoiding his friend who seems perfectly happy to lemming off the cliff after me.

I had a great moment yesterday when I was fighting two zombies on day one. I finish the first one off with my spear and upon dying he promptly ragdolls off a cliff with my spear still stuck in him, forcing me to scramble down after him trying not to break a leg while avoiding his friend who seems perfectly happy to lemming off the cliff after me.

Awesome. LOL

9/10 - could only be improved by the addition of Yakety Sax.

A spear impacting on a block should start playing the Benny Hill theme.

The spear is an awesome weapon, great reach, but the temptation to throw it for the juicy extra range and damage is sooooo strong. =)

have been itching to jump back into this game, currently downloading but prolly won't get to play until tomorrow (worse than your average aussie download speed)

Safe to assume i'll probably love it.

Hands down Fun Pimps, this is the best alpha i've ever played!

Died after 20 minutes by a boar....lol. Also, vultures really are a big danger. At least for me.

First car I looted had 3 auger parts in it. Brass seems common too. I looted around 20 garbage piles and got 2 brass door knobs and 2 brass candles.

Spears and the rage mode are such an improvement for the game. Just like most of the players I absolutely love it!

Tonight i'm going to focus on a more serious build. Find shelter and start looting.

Not to forget the beautifull world you guys created:

20191008105824_1.thumb.jpg.b5fa70295eab3bca5718100674f59134.jpg

Spears need a map marker, I keep losing them, also keeps me from adding mods to them.

Speaking of which, imagine my surprise when I was trying to track down my loot junk turret I forgot to pick up, when I see an icon for it on the map!

THANK YOU!

Its really too early for me to judge, but I think there 8s a huge imbalance now between the rwg and pois

We USED to explore the world, and the pois were just loot boxes to visit on occasion. NOW however, the pois are almost up to AAA standard, and the world is this big empty lifeless void between them.

It might be this playthrough in burning land, but the outside world holds little attraction to explore like it used to.

It's not just the loss of the old caves, but the burning land looks very empty, almost to the point of low poly 3d video game worlds from 15-20 years ago.

It might feel different once I have transport and can explore the other biomes, but there is no real threat outdoors at all, and nights up to at least day 8 are a cakewalk. I spent one digging a quest, one surface mining iron, and another going to pick up a drop.

I ran into a few night runners, but nothing I couldn't easily handle except taking a few hits.

It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds as my gamestage increases.

ok people saying junk turrets are op? finally killed my first zed with a yellow junk turret... took 20 shots. no perks yet, but peeps saying it is op straight out? bull♥♥♥♥

Think this is the first Alpha release I've seen without major bugs, as compared to the previous 8 Alpha's!

just wrapping up after son #3 and myself just surviving day 7 horde.

absolutely awesome!

the constant feel to do something is definitely there; food, no! water, no! gunpowder, where the f is some coal!

yeah we got enough bullets

holy crap ive run out of bullets!

day 8 about to craft some motorbikes and head for the forest to get away from the heat!

10/10 tfp!

no bugs at all yet :-)

ok people saying junk turrets are op? finally killed my first zed with a yellow junk turret... took 20 shots. no perks yet, but peeps saying it is op straight out? bull♥♥♥♥

Early game they might be strong, but I say wait until ferals and radiated start spawning to judge them OP. Also horde night?

I was messing around last night. Looks amazing, sounds amazing, plays amazing. I won’t be starting a real game till stable or 18.1 but I’m massively looking forward to it.

2 things

I play with a GTX1080 on an ultra widescreen and only see lower FPS (mid 40s) when standing on a mountain looking at lots of terrain. So it sounds like faatal has a good theory.

I’ve seen no one mention this, and I’only messed around with melee a little bit so maybe I will get used to it. Every attack feels like a half swing, and a forced stop. Kind of like in baseball when the batter stops the swing trying not to get a strike. It’s especially weird with a sledgehammer

Minor gripe, completely amazing update!!

I've seen several at night (as in, at least 1 every night), but I've also seen one blatantly wandering around on day 1 in broad daylight. It was right outside the underground bomb shelter POI so maybe he was just a POI sleeper that heard me and got loose, but let's just say I was not prepared to deal with him right then. Are feral sleepers based on gamestage, POI level, or both?

I've also seen them in the morning, but in areas I wasn't in at night. What's the range/time cutoff for them to despawn? I ran into one on the way home from a POI at ~5:30 AM around 400m from the POI itself, and he owned me cause my entire inventory was loaded and I couldn't run :miserable:

Had one show up in a wandering horde on night 1 :)

Looks amazing, sounds amazing, plays amazing.

I told you, you wouldn't be disappointed in me!