Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Rule #1, never get encumbered. Drop a chest on the ground, mark it on your map and put the crap you can't use yet in it, like brass, mechanical parts, engines etc. If you stray from this advice, make sure you have at least 70 rounds of ammo and an ak or smg.

Or upgrade backpack lol

For those with bad FPS when they go outdoors and look at terrain, you can try this in the console:

gfx dt

That will toggle distant terrain off/on. Does your FPS jump back up with it off?

RX580 8GB, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB RAM, 960 EVO NVMe SSD. 1080p and I've been tweaking. Prior to issuing the command I was getting about 24-25 FPS facing a hill near our early start point. Turning around and looking at the edge of town (forest biome) would cause the FPS to jump to about 32-33. Note, there's a lot more trees and several buildings.

Issuing the command, and I'm getting 60 FPS on the town view, 46-47 on the hill view. Turning DT back on, I get a massive spam of "Detail rendering shaders not found for the active render pipeline, falling back to default shader." Below are screenshots with dt on and dt off.

I'm not a coder, just a gamer, but I would DEFINITELY expect that hill to be less costly to render than a town with a bunch of trees. Let me know if you need additional data.

hill-dt-off.jpg.6017eb0d9a695c5d371207a698756a8d.jpg

hill-dt-on.jpg.ead6c2f25cc7cc06aeb1660055cd03a9.jpg

town-dt-on.jpg.4f426b3e6a21993a5bf9ccd793063ed0.jpg

town-dt-off.jpg.367b1326b4628bf8dcace169291ffe61.jpg

@MadMole

Makes sense when you talk about geeking out over the engine changes, framework for cool future features, and just all the pure potential amazeballsness you could imagine with the overhauls. You're still hyperbolic as ♥♥♥♥, but I can see where the hype and excitement was coming from with A17. To your credit, you quickly acknowledged it fell short and that the next alpha should bring the goods you were imagining with A17 - and you were right!

The junk turret was such a great idea, and it's implementation, ESPECIALLY considering it's its first alpha, is wonderful. Great sounds, model, perks, the loading animation is awesome (just shove some metally bits in there na!).

I'm playing a Brainy Brawler, beating the piss out of zeds while the junk helps with stun damage, looking forward to having two wicked turrets and a modded M60 to just rain endless fire on the masses and, as you mentioned above, chugging beers with top tier knuckles and armor and just smashing everything that moves - I CANNOT WAIT FOR THAT YOU GUYS.

New sounds... XP balance... THAT STUBBY FACE MELTING SHOTGUN... new predators... streamlined tutorial... THAT NOTE THO from the Duke! (butt = puckered)... new mods... I can barely take it man. You need to release smaller alphas just so my reward center doesn't have a critical meltdown with all the new content and improvements!!

18 had to be big because of the perk overhaul, we needed all the new weapons to flesh out each play style and make each build feel unique. Books were easy to do with the new framework and more will come in future alphas.

I love what you are saying, and that my hyperbolic state has infected you and many others :) I wrote the Duke's note, I'm glad you liked it :)

Now that we feel the game is in a great spot smaller updates will finally be possible.

I'm learning the very, very hard way. All the changes are really screwing with me; encumbrance being such a death sentence is a real damper on my pack-rat tendencies. Not to mention that between rage zombies and the now much shorter melee distance, close-quarters combat is extremely dangerous. The spear is neat and helps with that, but the lack of a proper spammable knockdown power attack brings its own problems to the table... It's all very tricky.

WE removed a whole row of encumbrance since 17 so its much more forgiving. Craft pockets for your clothing once you find a few sewing kits and can make duct tape, it helps a lot. The club has some nice knockdown with power attacks, sledge can one shot all weak zeds if you hit the head.

You will figure it out, its just a bit different. Gear helps a lot.

The low FPS problems many people are having are, from what I can tell, happening on GPUs with lower amounts of memory.

While A18 has been optimized in many respects, it also has more art and some art at higher resolutions than before, like the UI icons. That comes at a cost of higher VRAM use. Texture streaming helps greatly in reducing VRAM use, but it has its limits, since not all textures can be streamed. Once VRAM is low, FPS can drop greatly due to fighting over a limited resource.

Games also do not have access to all the GPU's VRAM, since your OS and other programs may be using some. On my computer about 1GB of my 8GB of VRAM is already in use. Shutting down programs may help.

Streamers generally play on higher end computers, so we have not seen them have much of a problem. Granted that was on a build from last week, but there have been no changes since then, that I am aware of, that should change VRAM use.

We do have testers with lower end computers with limited VRAM that have low FPS, especially outdoors. Solutions to their low FPS have not yet been found.

We know you want to play, but this is experimental, not stable. We said there would be small issues and possibly big issues and there are. Some of these issues may take days to research, find fixes and test.

But can yoi explain the massive drop in performance between a17 and a18. For me the game plays fine, but for many people it is really bad at the moment.

Distant terrain has been redone, so very different than before. It now uses Unity terrain, with Micro Splat shaders and new high res textures.

Is there any way possible to make a separate texture option just for the distant terrain so that you could for example put distant terrain texture quality on "Half" and leave others on "Full" and other combinations like that - i guess going further - could it be possible to say put weapon textures, biome textures, distant textures, and creature textures all in their own categories or are all the textures in one pool with no way to allow manual adjustments in that way.

It seems to me that the texture quality of distant terrain is almost overkill compared to the other "Half" textures. The distant terrain, as pretty as it is - looks better than everything else when you're just playing on medium. You'd think the distant terrain would take second seat to the forefront textures..

Distant terrain has been redone, so very different than before. It now uses Unity terrain, with Micro Splat shaders and new high res textures.

Hey, thanks for the "gfx dt" toggle. I've yet to try it, but the feedback sounds very encouraging.

I just want to add that accompanying my fps issues is a massive lag when inside Inventory or Cookpot menus. So massive that the mouse can be stalled for many seconds, and is barely normal for any more than a few seconds at a time.

For those with bad FPS when they go outdoors and look at terrain, you can try this in the console:

gfx dt

That will toggle distant terrain off/on. Does your FPS jump back up with it off?

Distant terrain off made a world of difference for me...literally...half literally anyway.

Perk into miner 69'r.

Is it alright depending so much on that attribute for mastering all tools? Tools should be like weapon crafting. The Wrench is obvious where it belongs . Miner69r for pickaxes, maybe... also shovels (Might be Ok to have 6 tools with similar objective I guess...). Hammer and nailgun... well... Grease Monkey perk? . I don't know. It wouldn't hurt a second pass of MM's wisdom on that stuff. It's not that you are not right when you insist on the subject of KISS, but 12 tools behind a perk is a little too "must have" ain't it? I'm not that hands-on a18 yet so correct me if I'm wrong.

A friend told me as I asked the question I apologize for the stupid post....

A18 is just unbelievable way to go Fun Pimps! Living up to the name cause y’all are pimping out the Fun!

When’s A19 coming?!?!?! Jkjk I’m just blown away with this Alpha. Just 😮

It's been quite a while since I've been here! Happy A18 and happy belated or not yet b-day to Joel -- I remember it's your birthday one of these days lol. So, as with others, I've seen quite a bit of performance issues. I just saw from Faatal to put off gfx tt in the console, but I've really pinpointed it to nothing lags me at all (lighting or enemies) besides ground. If I look at any earth (even dug a small tunnel with same fps) my FPS tanks. I get a good 50-70 fps indoors, but soon as earth is in my vision it goes to 7-18 fps lol.

Also, I found "Detail rendering shaders not found for the active render pipeline, falling back to default shader." spamming in the console, could that be an issue? I reinstalled / cleaned the game completely and still got them spamming quite frequently. Also, just curious on the why, but how come the config got integrated in the registry?

Lag aside, what an update!

The low FPS problems many people are having are, from what I can tell, happening on GPUs with lower amounts of memory.

While A18 has been optimized in many respects, it also has more art and some art at higher resolutions than before, like the UI icons. That comes at a cost of higher VRAM use. Texture streaming helps greatly in reducing VRAM use, but it has its limits, since not all textures can be streamed. Once VRAM is low, FPS can drop greatly due to fighting over a limited resource.

Games also do not have access to all the GPU's VRAM, since your OS and other programs may be using some. On my computer about 1GB of my 8GB of VRAM is already in use. Shutting down programs may help.

Streamers generally play on higher end computers, so we have not seen them have much of a problem. Granted that was on a build from last week, but there have been no changes since then, that I am aware of, that should change VRAM use.

We do have testers with lower end computers with limited VRAM that have low FPS, especially outdoors. Solutions to their low FPS have not yet been found.

We know you want to play, but this is experimental, not stable. We said there would be small issues and possibly big issues and there are. Some of these issues may take days to research, find fixes and test.

Well I have 1650GTX card with 4 GB RAM, and 16GB ram on my i5 3rd gen 4 core processer. A17 give me around 70 FPS on setting little lower to default high. I got 7 FPS when I run A18 for first time, but then I realise in Console it says Shader Streaming fails and it switch to default shader. I have Texture Streaming on. So I just put my Texture to lower and now I get 50 FPS.. Wondering what is causing failure of streaming texture.

gfx dt

Doing so gave me 5 to 10 FPS or so.

Before:

5eMJ8hD.png

After:

rtkzchx.png

But can yoi explain the massive drop in performance between a17 and a18. For me the game plays fine, but for many people it is really bad at the moment.

I did explain it. But in simple terms, too many hi res textures that don't fit on low end graphics cards.

Spears need a map marker, I keep losing them, also keeps me from adding mods to them.

No way. A Javelin build is completely OP, but very fun. The slight problem of finding a spear (don't throw the modded one or don't miss) is the only balance to it right now.

With 4-5 Javelins on my belt, I throw all but one then finish whats left (if anything) with my good Javelin. Easy-Peasy.

The shape selector is great. A mighty fine addition.

Is there any chance of adding "Copy Shape" in the radial menu and have it work just like "Copy Rotation"?

Already saving tons of time and there is far less frustration... this would top off the feature superbly.

(When it is possible to do so with the material you are holding that is. Maybe that little erh erh sound when it isn't available)

Well I have 1650GTX card with 4 GB RAM, and 16GB ram on my i5 3rd gen 4 core processer. A17 give me around 70 FPS on setting little lower to default high. I got 7 FPS when I run A18 for first time, but then I realise in Console it says Shader Streaming fails and it switch to default shader. I have Texture Streaming on. So I just put my Texture to lower and now I get 50 FPS.. Wondering what is causing failure of streaming texture.

There are some console shader warnings that we have determined are a bug in Unity. We will update Unity at some point, but we need solid testing on a newer version first, because there are often new Unity bugs in newer versions. Last time I tried an update, it crashed the editor every 5 minutes.

Archived