Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Wow, all things considered...this thread is dead. I've not seen it this slow in a long time. Everyone must be watching the streams. I'm done watching and going back to actually playing A17 for now. It may not be A18...but at least it's something and I still really enjoy it. I don't want to see any of the new POIs and so far, it looks like I've managed to avoid spoiling it for myself.

Wow, all things considered...this thread is dead. I've not seen it this slow in a long time. Everyone must be watching the streams. I'm done watching and going back to actually playing A17 for now. It may not be A18...but at least it's something and I still really enjoy it. I don't want to see any of the new POIs and so far, it looks like I've managed to avoid spoiling it for myself.

damn my goal for 2000 pages in gone lol

He absolutely genuinely loved every aspect of A18, I couldn't buy advertising like that.

Agree, Grumble is so fun to watch, his reactions had me cracking up constantly. Saw you and Gazz in the chat while I was watching, starting around when he left his roof without checking for more z dogs beforehand. Forgetting to load his AK, nervously lobbin his first nob in that basement, "ahhh, holy jesus balls!", and so on. Haven't laughed like that in a long time, he sure has a ton of fun, and yes it is great advertising for sure. Can't wait for Monday(or possibly Sunday, please:) )

The UI shows 4k and 8k. You could change windows.xml to add other sizes. 16k takes a long time and uses a lot of memory, so it may crash depending on your PC RAM and GPU RAM.

Thx for responding bud!

What changed to make 16k a problem? Is it the saturation of more Pois now? Just trying to understand the changes that make 16k a problem.

Coughs * Airport POI * Coughs

Weekends are usually dead around here. It's weekdays, when everyone is supposed to be at work and school, that they're all on here chattering

Edit: I know, Friday is a weekday, but it is usually where the forum starts to slow for the weekend.

Yeah, real quiet. I checked out a bunch of different streams, but I'm trying to save some surprises for myself outside of every spoiler I've tried to get out of this thread. NHL season restarting gives me plenty to watch for now. Tired of the current A17 playthrough I was trying, so onto messing with silly new ideas for bases. This Winnebago and trailer living talk of the last couple of days got to me. I think my "mobile" operations center would look reeeeal good with some junk turrets watching its flanks.

https://imgur.com/a/NfgyjbY

So how is everyone planning to play their first game in A18? Solo? Co-op? PvP? PvE?

Probably solo probably with my current playstyle which the current agility set almost fully covers just to check out all the new stuff in my comfort zone. If my group gets going anytime soon, then loose-rules PVE. Looking forward to trying out all the builds at least once.

Edit: on second thought, I kind of like the sound of letting the first really good weapon find determine my path. I may do that since I usually buy generally useful perks the first few points anyway.

Patch note:

elee was too binary, hit or miss. To remedy this, as well as make melee feel more impactful, we added a swing arc to detect hits along the path of the weapon.

So let's just stop it at the middle of the screen. Looks natural if I put all my force into a swing. Seems to look impactful.

Thx for responding bud!

What changed to make 16k a problem? Is it the saturation of more Pois now? Just trying to understand the changes that make 16k a problem.

Coughs * Airport POI * Coughs

I'm not sure of all the reasons, but there are GPU compute shaders used now and those 16k textures use a lot of memory.

So how is everyone planning to play their first game in A18? Solo? Co-op? PvP? PvE?

Solo, and possibly not until next week :-/

That said, I should have some time to process and move data. I'll probably try to generate a 16k map on windows and see if I can transplant that onto the linux build. Windows has better drivers for the gfx cards and tends to deal with maxing out the RAM better. The linux build pretty much always runs faster in-game. I'll see if linux can generate a 16k map but I doubt it, the 17.4 build crashes _just_ before the generation completes.

Archived