Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Thats different, If I'm not mistaken that doesn't stretch your image into a piece of distorted crap.

I wasn't addressing that, just my performance running 3 Mon. in WSF regarding Lag, FPS & overall gameplay. Even with the Cursed 7DTD memory leak I have only had minor performance problems. When we had the problem with the big cities or towns & Z Spawns the buildings were falling down & it was like your player was moving in slow motion. Soon as you backed away from the Town it would stop but you could still see it all tumbling down. I am serious about the Graphics though & that was my other point that the graphics from the early Alpha's & now are like night & day, giant leap for Z-Kind.

Has Crossfire been addressed yet or is it going to be down the road if at all. That's the only other concerns with my PC, not using both cards in Crossfire.

You guys really nailed it with all the new systems though, I went back to Nav because of the problems in RWG last Alpha & can't wait to create a new World again.

So what happened with the original Story Line from the Early Alphas, it disappeared. It used to be you got attacked by Bandits & they stole all your stuff. They left 1 Bandit behind to kill you but he felt sorry for you & he left you in your Tidy Whitey's with a can of Chili, Water, bandage, etc...Hence the Old Saying "Naked & Afraid"

Why did we get rid of it?

I might have quoted the wrong post...

That would not be hard to do, but I don't know that we want to do it. There is something to be said for some consistency with enemy types. Should a demolition model be able to have spider behavior and jump around or be a crawler? I don't think so. Arlene's walk is a recognizable aspect of who she is. Maybe she can start as a crawler? Every run type? Don't care for it, but possibly more variety.

Short answer: yes and no.

Several zombies share the same animations (zombieSteve, zombieFarmer and zombieUtilityWorker, for example). At the very least, it would be nice to get them some unique animations.

Personally, I think all crawlers should spawn with one or both legs missing like they used to, and can be of any "normal" zombie torso, not just the zombieSteve model.

Bonus suggestion: since you have the Nightmare speed tweaks in the works, how about adding a Naruto speed option (faster than vehicles), and give all the zeds Naruto Run animations? :D :D :D

Happy A18 Stream Weekend!

That would not be hard to do, but I don't know that we want to do it. There is something to be said for some consistency with enemy types. Should a demolition model be able to have spider behavior and jump around or be a crawler? I don't think so. Arlene's walk is a recognizable aspect of who she is. Maybe she can start as a crawler? Every run type? Don't care for it, but possibly more variety.

Short answer: yes and no.

But why we need to recognise Arlene as low end zombie, or fat cop as mid level? why cannot occasional a fat cop comes running and he cannot spit, but Arlene can spit, but cannot run? I mean why not randomise their individual attribute. I am not saying make it default, but optional or attach to game settings. Having those variation make it totally uncertain, and we treat all zombie with respect and fear from it?

-- Edit--

At least make it available for Modder to randomize this action. I know they can set and extend XML but they still cannot randomize it, maybe just add a Check if random=true, randomize properties or read from XML?

Currently zombies of the same type have same speed and thus walk in groups (when wondering horde) and it doesn't look very good. A group of cheerleaders, then a group of nurses etc. When I was playing some mod it had their walk types randomized and so zombies in a horde were spread more even. Not to mention that variety was very welcome.

Actually zombies will rage from any damage and on nightmare level they will be raging most of the time as the percent chance of rage goes up with each tier of difficulty.

Keep in mind, rage % chance when damaged is based on game difficulty. The rage speed they increase to is based on their current move speed. A walker would never rage to nightmare speed. Not yet anyway.

Keep in mind, rage % chance when damaged is based on game difficulty. The rage speed they increase to is based on their current move speed. A walker would never rage to nightmare speed. Not yet anyway.

This is a very clever way of increasing difficulty without turning enemies into bullet sponges, nice

For the AI in open terrain: if they are in a group (lets say more than 3 around):

I think it would make sense for some of them randomly not walking towards the target-player, but rather to a random location 10 meters around the players position.

Then switch to attack the player.

This random change would make a larger group surround the player, and attack from different angles, not just cueing up in a line for the player to backtrack and pick out the front-zombie.

Stacking rage with each portion of damage taken? With a diminishing chance each time damage is taken?

A question for you, Faatal. Will the climbing wall behaviour make it back at some point?

I remember Bioshock 2 with It's wall-jumping-hanging crazy guys, and 7dtd awesomeness could definitely benefit from that but in a dynamic way. It just appears to me that some new edge animations would need to exist for that to happen among a bit of code work. Will it, though?

Maybe you can move some contacts to "speed up" mine

Ok let me try!

* Ahum *

Oi, Roland! Nice algebraic equations you have there.. It would be a.. shame.. If something happened to them! Maybe you can give my friend here an appropriate nickname?

- - - Updated - - -

I’m no INT guy, but I do have an amazing tool.

What color is that tool? Grey? Brown?

@faatal

do you think that one day there will be zombies with different "AI"

Like a zombie borrowing in sand , dirt etc and rise out of the ground

some that dough and weave

able to go from 2 to 4 legs

ETC????

There might be additional variety, but bandits are probably going to suck up a lot of the remaining AI development time.

For the AI in open terrain: if they are in a group (lets say more than 3 around):

I think it would make sense for some of them randomly not walking towards the target-player, but rather to a random location 10 meters around the players position.

Then switch to attack the player.

This random change would make a larger group surround the player, and attack from different angles, not just cueing up in a line for the player to backtrack and pick out the front-zombie.

Zombies already do obstacle avoidance and that includes walking around a zombie in their way. Animals also do circling behavior when another ally animal is close to them and blocking them. In reality you don't stand there and let them group up on you, so I don't see it much in actual game play.

Currently zombies of the same type have same speed and thus walk in groups (when wondering horde) and it doesn't look very good. A group of cheerleaders, then a group of nurses etc. When I was playing some mod it had their walk types randomized and so zombies in a horde were spread more even. Not to mention that variety was very welcome.

Randomized base speeds is on my todo list or in my brain somewhere. May do it someday. Walk types. Meh. What I said before.

I struggle for ammo if I screw around too much, the balance is awesome IMO. You will juggle your time between looting, scavenging cars for gas, mining, and traveling a ♥♥♥♥ load. Traders are typically a 15 minute DRIVE away from each other, so making the rounds every 3 days to see the new inventory eats a ton of your time, but now that you are collecting 112 books and hundreds of schematics... you literally can't NOT go. You just have to look to see what he has for sale.

Love how it sounds. And that the hordes are no joke anymore. You guys...,we are all ready is all I am gonna say !

*Cracking knuckles*

A question for you, Faatal. Will the climbing wall behaviour make it back at some point?

I remember Bioshock 2 with It's wall-jumping-hanging crazy guys, and 7dtd awesomeness could definitely benefit from that but in a dynamic way. It just appears to me that some new edge animations would need to exist for that to happen among a bit of code work. Will it, though?

Not likely. That is time better spent on bandits.

You can still wreck your fov however the 17 folks did it :)

Please, please never remove the option to set it back to 90, firstpersonview games must have that else I can't play them, 60 works for 3rd persongames, but in a first person view, it just makes it unplayable for me :(

(with that said. could we have a way to save the setting between restarts again? :3 , there's probably dozens of us, dozens!)

Please, please never remove the option to set it back to 90, firstpersonview games must have that else I can't play them, 60 works for 3rd persongames, but in a first person view, it just makes it unplayable for me :(

(with that said. could we have a way to save the setting between restarts again? :3 , there's probably dozens of us, dozens!)

There is allready a way. Just set the value of your preference in the registry (on windows, for linux there is probab some ini file somewhere).

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\The Fun Pimps\7 Days To Die -> OptionsFieldOfView_hxxxxxxxxxx

Set it to 5a for FOV 90.

Cheers

-edit- aaah that old trick is probab not gonna work. I see they changed the prop name. to OptionsFieldOfViewNew (and explicitly set to non-persistent). My bad.

Archived