Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Would be interesting to have a vote. See in real world figures who would be offended, who wouldn't, who would stop playing the game, and even who might start playing the game because they like extreme content.

Like it was said though some places will not allow it so then they would have 2 different updates to make and that will not happen. When I believe they have some mods that will be easier to do.

Still wanting zombie clowns ;)

My thoughts / Ideas on the Junk turret :

As soon as I heard about this thing , I knew I was going to go Agi/Int build. So far I do like it but some questions

It's obvious perk is being able to hold it and fire it manually like a gun , and deploy it without need for electricity , and cheaper ammo.

But can you craft multiple of them and have easy defense? I believe they use scrap iron for ammo which really isn't hard to get.

I had an idea to make the Junk turret more unique to the intelligence build. What if it could be upgraded through mods and intelligence perks? Maybe things like increase fire rate , increase range , upgrade ammo type to eventually even shoot 7.62. But to balance this either make it so you can only craft/use 1 at a time or , make it impractical to deploy multiple at once. This would be accomplished by making it so when you deploy them to fire on their own , they only stay active for about 30 seconds - 2 minutes (maybe upgradeable?) after which they will stop firing and need to be manually cranked or something to continue atonamous mode.

I only watched a few minutes of your recent vid and come here to post after seeing the turret. I did notice the turret seemed to stop shooting sometimes and I guess it does have a limited ammo capacity? That works as well.

Just hitting inbetween the topics here, but wanted to come back to one thing...

Recently started going through Darksiders 3 and a funny thing was when i walked in a medium sized puzzle section after learning that "to unlock a door you need to put swords in the hands of an angel statue". The first thing you see as you enter (with paths leading sideways and a big area underneath) are three statues of angels with one having already a sword (so need 2 more). Suddenly Fury says something like:

- It's three. It always has to be three.

So yeah, it always has to be 3!

Unfortunately, you rolled a natural 1 on your Cool Dad check so your kids fail to take an interest in your hobby, roll their eyes, and ask if they can go play at their friend’s house.

That’s rough.

So apparently my sister-in-law, who is a middle school teacher, is telling me that D&D is no longer taboo and may even be popular? I can't quite wrap my head around that. My son, who is now a freshman, says that kids in his grade talk about it too so he's interested. Maybe I get +5 to the roll? Natural 1 though that die is getting tossed. Got more where that came from.

I get bonus points for "Cool Dad" cause I let them play 7DtD with me :D

So apparently my sister-in-law, who is a middle school teacher, is telling me that D&D is no longer taboo and may even be popular? I can't quite wrap my head around that. My son, who is now a freshman, says that kids in his grade talk about it too so he's interested. Maybe I get +5 to the roll? Natural 1 though that die is getting tossed. Got more where that came from.

I get bonus points for "Cool Dad" cause I let them play 7DtD with me :D

If you're playing 5th edition, sounds like you may have advantage. Roll your d20 twice and use the better roll.

I think it's funny how not too long ago a bunch of people determined that certain attributes are completely unplayable and not worth it.

And no, they are not equal. It would be pointless to have several if they were.

Not all of them give you amazing early game benefits but you don't need All The Benefits early on nor do you need to be good at everything.

Game balance goes way deeper than making sure that every lvl 10 character does the exact same DPS with a weapon.

Maybe later you can add.

An unassuming small burrowing creature with an underground poi loot hoard.

Also spawned during buried treasure quests.

The creature also burrows into mining tunnels to attack its victims.

The creature rages when you enter its personal space and/or attempt

to take the stash. Radiated and puking. Light could also set it off,

especially at night, when it comes up to forage, because its eyes are

sensitive. It attempts to steal a random item from your pack and take it

back to its hoard.

It could be called a MadMole.

Question for the Devs:

Did the concept of "Store all" and "Stack items" buttons make it through the content lock? Maybe 18.1?

There is a mod out in the wild right now that accomplishes this, and it would be fantastic if it made it as a permanent feature. Inventory management takes up an awful lot of time for those who's OCD tendencies require proper sorting. The "stack items" one most of all, so I could go through each container, push the button and all similar items get stowed away in the container I am in.

@Madmole

What is up with the granades now exploding upon impact? If that was changed on purpose not a good idea for those times we might accidentally release it by mistake or aim wrong, as in what happen to you. Atleast a 3 second delay is needed for this very purpose IMO.

Source:

These are contact grenades, a weapon MM talked about in the last tweet and previous horde night video.

@Madmole

What is up with the granades now exploding upon impact? If that was changed on purpose not a good idea for those times we might accidentally release it by mistake or aim wrong, as in what happen to you. Atleast a 3 second delay is needed for this very purpose IMO.

Source:

2 types of grenades -

1. grenade = normal fragmentation grenade which cooks for a few seconds before exploding. (great for tossing ahead of a moving crowd of zombies to walk into it)

2. contact grenade = designed to go boom on contact with most things it comes in contact with. (great for the OS zeds that are running and no time to cook a reg grenade)

both by design and doing what they are designed for. one is brown and other is red (red = danger) :)

grenades.jpg.0ba884b933f35ab2b67fdf3898f901d9.jpg

2 types of grenades -

1. grenade = normal fragmentation grenade which cooks for a few seconds before exploding. (great for tossing ahead of a moving crowd of zombies to walk into it)

2. contact grenade = designed to go boom on contact with most things it comes in contact with. (great for the OS zeds that are running and no time to cook a reg grenade)

both by design and doing what they are designed for. one is brown and other is red (red = danger) :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29172[/ATTACH]

Very cool. Looking forward to trying them both out. The neat thing is it’s not so much about one being better than the other, but more so choosing the right tool for the job under the current circumstances.

When madmole was mentioning these contact grenades, I thought he was talking about the explosives that stick to zombies.

Its day 28 horde night for an Alpha 18 perception build, check out the junk turret, contact grenades and kill streak perk!

Maybe the junk turret could use a little bigger ammo capacity, it ran out too quickly.

An INT guy that has 2 of them can't fight at the same time because keeping them loaded seems to be like a full-time job :D

Never heard of.

@MADMOLE:

Dead Snow and its sequel are GREAT. The first is more scary, and the second is more over the top, like the evil dead movies.

No love for Demon Knight or Evil Dead??

BTW, did you know they made a life sized prop replica of the Devil Doll? I would have bought it, but suspect like my old prop replica Alien chest burster that it would just be too creepy to have around late at night.

I prefer more tame fun movie props, like my 1:1 scale Ghostbusters Slimer and Gremlin.

Back OT, you keep talking about making the wasteland tougher end game, but I hope before you do that you find a way to spawn a new character AND his quest trader base so wasteland isn't between them. I STILL remember trying to complete my trader quest across wasteland, nd it taking two full days of getting wrecked to complete that journey.

New player precious snowflakes these days would have given up on the game in the first half hour completely as it was.

Also after watching your latest video, you mentioned several times you wish junk turrets held more ammo. Since you've been doing the balancing, maybe that can be easily added to the junk turret's governing perks so higher tiers increase its ammo capacity as well as whatever they are unlocking? That might only be a half hour's work in the xml.

(Being able to target the vultures might also be locked until you hit a certain tier level as well, making those perk investments more satisfying, and if I'm not mistaken that should be easy xml perk edits as well.)

Might as well add a few surprises since you have spare time.

(Ideally a mod for the junk turret to increase capacity might be another loot goody to find, but that would require a graphic asset, and take more development time.)

Maybe the junk turret could use a little bigger ammo capacity, it ran out too quickly.

An INT guy that has 2 of them can't fight at the same time because keeping them loaded seems to be like a full-time job :D

i respectfully disagree:

it isnt meant to replace the electric turrets which do hold more and do more damage... the junk turret is the low level wanna-be of turrets (you find it early and use it until you find or get into making the better electric turrets..

sorta like comparing stone axe to the steel axe or comparing the wooden club against the baseball bat or basic wood bow compared to the compound bow. :)

BUT.... modders surely can and will do what you suggest. win/win :)

i am still waiting for someone to explain how the JT actually works since there is a gas/nitro looking tank on it and wires... but no apparent power source. :)

i respectfully disagree:

it isnt meant to replace the electric turrets which do hold more and do more damage... the junk turret is the low level wanna-be of turrets (you find it early and use it until you find or get into making the better electric turrets..

sorta like comparing stone axe to the steel axe or comparing the wooden club against the baseball bat or basic wood bow compared to the compound bow. :)

Can you at least put magazine-extending mods on it like you can with guns?

Still wanting zombie clowns ;)

We had those in the old uma zombies.... there was a big guy, his wife, and really fast kiddie clowns.

New video observations:

The grenade sound could use a bit more bass, and we can't easily get to that. (In later versions it would be great is all the sounds could be loaded from individual sound files so we could get at them and replace/edit them ourselves.)

The grenades also still seem a bit wimpy... maybe they can have a bigger stun/ragdoll effect on the zombies making them appear stronger? I would think the pipe bomb would look like this damage wise, and the grenades would do more damage and also have higher block damage.

One thing about the zombie ai bothered me... they didn't try to break in your hatch and follow you in your tunnel.

Maybe thats a good question for Fataal?

i respectfully disagree:

BUT.... modders surely can and will do what you suggest. win/win :)

I guess I'm not understanding the INT build. Perking into the junk turret should keep it viable otherwise it's pointless to perk into it. If the perks affect all turrets then I could understand why.

2 types of grenades -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29172[/ATTACH]

I feel like the contact grenade should have a different look than just a recolored frag grenade

Like this:T13.jpg.14a5cc73a9e2cab9357ae3a61157b047.jpg

Archived