I have a 1x2 block area that can't be built in ... how to fix?

AlyssaFaden

So I have an area right out side of my base that I can't build in. It's not on the edge of the map or near a trader. Ther's nothing VISUALLY in the space, but there's a 1x2 stack of two blocks that are acting like something is already in them. I can build/dig under them, build over them and around them, but the 1x2 stack is "occupied" and I can't do anything with it. I can walk through that space, but I can't put anything in it. There's absolutely no other half/quarter/small block occupying them.

How do I fix this? I saw JaWoodle on YouTUbe in creative mode doing some form of blue-area-select: select one point, stretch to another point, hit a key and everything disappears in that area. Is this something I could access using the CM?

Anything else I can try?

You could try to build a scaffold of frames around the outside and then place a block of wood over it and drop it down to create the debris. These should then fill the area and should then be removed so that the area is again buildable.

If you want to use JaWoodle's method you have to do the following:

First you build a frame around the point. Then you go into debug mode with "dm" and mark one corner with the Z key and then the other corner with the Z key. With the key K the Prefab menu is called up and you select "Dynamic Prefab Spawner" and "Clear Area".

To get rid of the blue box, simply take a frame in your hand and click on the left mouse button. Then it should disappear.

this may be a poi that has a quest rally marker (invisible if not on quest). you can not destroy these and they will stop anything from being placed in its location.

if this is the case, the only thing to do is to relocate or build around and creatively conceal it. i have seen several reports about this in the past and found it to be this particular issue.

can you provide screen shots(dbs) of said location and prefab if applicable.

If you can enable cheats in your game, go into god mode and you can "force" blocks to place even in occupied locations (they will "displace" whatever is already there).

You can not build in a line/area/volume in an actual game unfortunately (Dev's - any chance you can add this feature? Possibly even for non-cheaters?) Currently that only works in the prefab editor. The "non-cheater" version would expend blocks in your inventory. It would be a great quality of life improvement for making large scale bases in an actual game.

My guess is both those blocks ARE occupied. Perhaps by something attached to their neighbours like a plate.

Yeah that was my thinking, too, but they're in the middle of nowhere and the only thing around them is what I've been building; there are no plates, doohickies or anything in these squares ... that I can see.

- - - Updated - - -

You could try to build a scaffold of frames around the outside and then place a block of wood over it and drop it down to create the debris. These should then fill the area and should then be removed so that the area is again buildable.

If you want to use JaWoodle's method you have to do the following:

First you build a frame around the point. Then you go into debug mode with "dm" and mark one corner with the Z key and then the other corner with the Z key. With the key K the Prefab menu is called up and you select "Dynamic Prefab Spawner" and "Clear Area".

To get rid of the blue box, simply take a frame in your hand and click on the left mouse button. Then it should disappear.

oustanding, thank you, going to try this tonight

- - - Updated - - -

this may be a poi that has a quest rally marker (invisible if not on quest). you can not destroy these and they will stop anything from being placed in its location.

if this is the case, the only thing to do is to relocate or build around and creatively conceal it. i have seen several reports about this in the past and found it to be this particular issue.

can you provide screen shots(dbs) of said location and prefab if applicable.

oh gadamn, I bet you are right!

• 11 months later...

I had a 2x2 block area in the middle of a field where I build a fort. At first it was just 1 block but after I broke all the blocks around it I could no longer replace blocks that were there before. I finally had an inspiration and grab the paint brush and painted the blocks and magically they were updated and I was able to replace them.

So I have an area right out side of my base that I can't build in. It's not on the edge of the map or near a trader. Ther's nothing VISUALLY in the space, but there's a 1x2 stack of two blocks that are acting like something is already in them. I can build/dig under them, build over them and around them, but the 1x2 stack is "occupied" and I can't do anything with it. I can walk through that space, but I can't put anything in it. There's absolutely no other half/quarter/small block occupying them.

How do I fix this? I saw JaWoodle on YouTUbe in creative mode doing some form of blue-area-select: select one point, stretch to another point, hit a key and everything disappears in that area. Is this something I could access using the CM?

Anything else I can try?

I had a similar problem with a tree that became invisible in A17.

The way i fixed it, I think, was to dig out the blocks below it and make it 'fall'.

You could also try to plant a new tree below it and let it grow and see if that replaces the blocks.

Archived