Removing xp

Roland

Thanks Space, I always thought it was every day. Duh.

I worked on a request thread that wanted trader open all hours with restock everyday so thats possible as theres already a modlet now and code to do it if desired theredwolf13-s-Modlets

Oh, I'd love some help with a name too..

7D-0XP

7 Days: The Apprentice

Training Quests

ya....I need help.

Roland's 'No XP to Die Mod'

Trading Places

Ha! Something called Rolmod would have to include the invisible HUD—and I want this to be successful ;)

If your goal is for the mod to be successful, you're doing it wrong.

... because then modding becomes a job, not a passion.

/You do you; remove that HUD...

Update:

I was able to replace the bleed icon for the skillpoint countdown timer with the XP icon and removed the "you are bleeding" text announcement.

Stompy suggested that "Level" might already be an xml supported reward that might allow me to level up as a reward independent of earning xp. I tried it but couldn't get it to work. There were no errors thrown but my level wouldn't advance at all. Stompy said he would look into it to see what might be going on.

I had the thought yesterday afternoon that perhaps the reason my level wasn't ever advancing no matter what I tried was that in progression the number of points required to level was set at a positive integer amount. I had the thought that maybe if I set that requirement to 0 I might be able to start earning levels from the "level" reward. It worked but way way too well. Since I was earning 0 xp for every action I started leveling up for every clump of grass I punched, every garbage pile I opened, etc. I was level 70 within minutes...lol.

Anyway, things are shaping up well with the only issue being that there is no way currently to advance player levels with experience set to zero. There are great minds thinking about it though so I am certain that issue will be fixed. I plan to release the mod as it is this weekend so people can at least start trying it out and seeing if they like the feel it lends the game. I think it is a lot of fun and really the only downside is that Gamestage is forever stuck at very low levels.

Perhaps just getting rid of leveled loot and leveled enemies based on gamestage might be something to look at in the future if for whatever reason we can't get levels to advance.

Update:

I was able to replace the bleed icon for the skillpoint countdown timer with the XP icon and removed the "you are bleeding" text announcement.

Stompy suggested that "Level" might already be an xml supported reward that might allow me to level up as a reward independent of earning xp. I tried it but couldn't get it to work. There were no errors thrown but my level wouldn't advance at all. Stompy said he would look into it to see what might be going on.

I had the thought yesterday afternoon that perhaps the reason my level wasn't ever advancing no matter what I tried was that in progression the number of points required to level was set at a positive integer amount. I had the thought that maybe if I set that requirement to 0 I might be able to start earning levels from the "level" reward. It worked but way way too well. Since I was earning 0 xp for every action I started leveling up for every clump of grass I punched, every garbage pile I opened, etc. I was level 70 within minutes...lol.

Anyway, things are shaping up well with the only issue being that there is no way currently to advance player levels with experience set to zero. There are great minds thinking about it though so I am certain that issue will be fixed. I plan to release the mod as it is this weekend so people can at least start trying it out and seeing if they like the feel it lends the game. I think it is a lot of fun and really the only downside is that Gamestage is forever stuck at very low levels.

Perhaps just getting rid of leveled loot and leveled enemies based on gamestage might be something to look at in the future if for whatever reason we can't get levels to advance.

It is dirty and unpolished but you already know how to set the multiplier as well as the exp gained multiplier . The window would still pop up unless you can hide it somehow but if you set exp gain to 1%, level gain a constant 90,000 exp and then award 9 million xp per quest completed/60 min timer (giving the player exactly 90,000 xp) then the gain from actions would be irrelevant but you would still advance in level from surviving/completing quests. As a side note, this would also alow some tuning of gaining levels from quests - you could increase or decrease as you want.

Of course the massive numbers are just examples.

It is dirty and unpolished but you already know how to set the multiplier as well as the exp gained multiplier . The window would still pop up unless you can hide it somehow but if you set exp gain to 1%, level gain a constant 90,000 exp and then award 9 million xp per quest completed/60 min timer (giving the player exactly 90,000 xp) then the gain from actions would be irrelevant but you would still advance in level from surviving/completing quests. As a side note, this would also alow some tuning of gaining levels from quests - you could increase or decrease as you want.

Of course the massive numbers are just examples.

I thought of this as a possibility and may yet try it-- but I have to say one of my favorite aspects of my mod is no xp announcements in the corner of the screen. I also tried removing the xp by just directly going in and removing it from the actions instead of using the option menu multiplier and then reducing everything down to 5% (1% didn't seem to work) and in doing so discovered that xp gains from trading and xp gains from looting seem to be hardwired in and cannot be removed. I told myself that just getting a bit of xp from those two sources was insignificant but it really does keep it in your consciousness when you get those notifications even if you know intellectually that it is insignificant. When I switched back to the 0% multiplier (which just completely decimates ALL xp gains) it feels so much cleaner. So I feel pretty much married to that for the time being.

I thought of this as a possibility and may yet try it-- but I have to say one of my favorite aspects of my mod is no xp announcements in the corner of the screen. I also tried removing the xp by just directly going in and removing it from the actions instead of using the option menu multiplier and then reducing everything down to 5% (1% didn't seem to work) and in doing so discovered that xp gains from trading and xp gains from looting seem to be hardwired in and cannot be removed. I told myself that just getting a bit of xp from those two sources was insignificant but it really does keep it in your consciousness when you get those notifications even if you know intellectually that it is insignificant. When I switched back to the 0% multiplier (which just completely decimates ALL xp gains) it feels so much cleaner. So I feel pretty much married to that for the time being.

I certainly understand - the notification itself does not fit well with your idea.

A large enough disparity and it wont functionally matter but functionality is not everything :D I did not know that looting was not subject to multipliers. Was always torn on swapping out my glasses with the looting eye wear when going back and looting a building. Apparently glasses don't matter.

Are the UI elements mobile? Is it possible to move something over that location that would cover the notification?

I certainly understand - the notification itself does not fit well with your idea.

A large enough disparity and it wont functionally matter but functionality is not everything :D I did not know that looting was not subject to multipliers. Was always torn on swapping out my glasses with the looting eye wear when going back and looting a building. Apparently glasses don't matter.

Are the UI elements mobile? Is it possible to move something over that location that would cover the notification?

I didn't mean to say looting xp wasn't subject to multipliers because it is. When I make it 0% then it goes bye bye. What I meant to say is that I haven't been able to find where in the xml the xp gain for looting resides so that it can be removed. It is why I like using the 0% multiplier because it DOES affect loot and trading xp gains.

Thinking back on this post with Guppy's suggestion as well as your last post makes me think of something.

If your goal is for the mod to be successful, you're doing it wrong.

... because then modding becomes a job, not a passion.

/You do you; remove that HUD...

(I hate that you said this BTW - I LIKE MY HUD :D )

He is right - do you, I think that you are likely pretty rare in that the notification is bothersome even if it is not meaningful. With that in mind, if you do the multipliers as we were talking about and then wiped the whole hud out as you want then everything would work pretty smooth and I think that you will get the most enjoyment out of it AND (because I want my HUD :D ) you could make the HUD removal optimal. That way, we can all make your MOD popular AND you can have your hudless experience AND the rest of us can deal with a small number in the corner until we figure out how to take care of it ourselves AND you can stop beating your head against the wall.

Best of all worlds?

Then you really have to put better loot in harder POIs and cities

About the xp:

- Can't you just hide the xp notification ?

- Could you temporarily change the multiplier from 0 to >0, then back to 0, at the precise moment the trader gives you exp ?

- Can't you remove all exp from the game without setting the multiplier to 0, then have the trader give exp ?

Good food for thought. There already is a modlet for removing the xp notification so if I borrow that then perhaps out of sight out of mind might be good enough.

The gamestage issue is a huge one. If I can't get the player to be able to advance in levels then the mode is not worth playing since all loot will always be crap and all spawns will always be day 1 in terms of challenge.

If onlys...

If only the days alive wasn't capped at the player's level....

If only there was a separate "level up" action/reward that existed separately from xp....

If only there were quests with timers....

I'll do an alternate progression method this week and see whether I can fix it so that xp earned from actions are extremely insignificant and xp earned from quests are extremely significant and then remove the xp notifications and see how that feels. What it will mean is that leveling up will happen as a result of questing so players can control how quickly or slowly they level up. The daily skillpoint award for staying alive would remain the same and not level up the player (Attempts to award xp on that 60 minute timer did not work).

Maybe you do not need to change the gamestage. After all, gamestage does not make much sense without xp.

Can't you increase the loot and zombie spawn in cities and hard POIs independently of the gamestage ?

Personally, I don't see how you can dislike the linear progression with skill points, while liking gs scaling. Just get rid of both !

Maybe you do not need to change the gamestage. After all, gamestage does not make much sense without xp.

Can't you increase the loot and zombie spawn in cities and hard POIs independently of the gamestage ?

Personally, I don't see how you can dislike the linear progression with skill points, while liking gs scaling. Just get rid of both !

We'll see. I did a preliminary test to change the spawning for "Gamestage 1" and it didn't seem to take. I got no errors and the code was changed in the way I expected but there just was no difference that I could tell in results so maybe how it works is beyond me.

But the real problem is that there are not enough differentiated values to use as a base value with the multipliers the game accepts. With player level remaining at 1 the entire game, your gamestage is 1 on day 1 and then 2 on Day 2 - Day infinity. There is no way to use a multiplier with only a base value of a 1 and a 2 and not get ferals and irradiated enemies on Day 2 if you ever want them at all.

Because the spawning no longer supports introducing tougher enemies and larger hordes purely according to the day count we can't just ignore gamestages and the current formula is hardcoded in so I can't change that.

Finally, it isn't just enemies it is loot as well and the game does not (as far as I know) support location specific loot containers. There are just good, better, awesome containers which are placed in specific POI's which is why you get a shotgun messiah crate in some closet somewhere but the only differentiation possible will be crap on Day 1 and God level on Day 2.

The game is built and designed now around the player's level increasing over time. The only way to make this feasible that I can see is to get the player level increasing independent of experience points if that is possible. Otherwise, we have to wait and see if Gazz changes the formula or at least exposes it so people can play with alternate formulas. This would be a snap if the formula was exposed and I could remove the player level part of the equation. Then it would simply be Days survived * multiplier and the game would largely run as it used to on a time based difficulty progression. But that's not yet.

I worked on the Plan B a bit last night.

Plan B:

Create an option on the menu for a 5% xp multiplier

Remove XP from as many actions as can be done currently (Trading and Looting xp seem to be unexposed)

Have quests award 100,000 XP (5000 after the 5%)

Change player progression to level up every 5000xp.

This should make it so that the trading and looting xp at 5% should be so insignificant as to not register. Players will still receive a skillpoint every 60 minute (real time) period that they avoid death and then by completing quests the player will gain a skillpoint AND increase in level. Thus, do quests to gain skillpoints faster but also increase gamestage and refrain from quests to stop the difficulty progression but still gain skills slowly day to day.

Very gamey but....perhaps good enough.

Still hoping for Plan A if Stompy or Sphereii are able to figure out how to make it so that player levels can increase without xp. :)

Can you edit the formula to give more weight to days alive?

...and you may just need to remind them (s and s), both are forgetful fracks.

It's not harassment, I pinky promise.

The only thing you can edit on the formula currently is the multiplier that is used for the different difficulty levels. The problem with "Days Alive" is that it is equal to your actual days alive or your level whichever one is lower. So if you are level 5 on Day 60 then your Days Alive = 5 and not 60. And there is no way through xml edits to change that. I'm not sure why they put that limitation in there since it would be extremely rare that someone would progress so slowly in the vanilla game that their level would ever be less than their days alive. But it certainly screws me over with the player level always being at one...lol

I'll send a pm tonight if I don't hear anything. It's only been the weekend and my weekend ended up being busier than I thought it would be so it's conceivable their weekends were too. :)

Can you remove the skillpoint from leveling?

You might have another option here if that is possible - level the character by 1 level per day no matter what and add the SP through quests and 60 min timer.

Can you remove the skillpoint from leveling?

You might have another option here if that is possible - level the character by 1 level per day no matter what and add the SP through quests and 60 min timer.

Already looked into adding a level each day and so far no dice. Stompy was sure that for quest rewards there was type="level" and when I appended it I got no errors or NRE's for having something that nothing points at however...it didn't do anything. No level was added to the player. This is what he said he would look at when he had a chance.

I also a couple of weeks ago tried out adding either xp or a level through the buff that currently gives a skillpoint every 60 min and that also didn't work. The way the timer works is there is a 59 minute 55 sec timer that's only purpose is to start a 5 second timer. The 5 second timer upon initiation awards a skill point. I was able to change it so that it awarded xp but it only would work if I did something like hit grass or open a loot container during that 5 second window. It would add on the amount of xp I chose to that action but it would not just award it automatically with no action. As far as player levels go nothing I tried would even work for the buff. With the quest reward it just did nothing but when trying to add levels using the buff it just resulted in red text and failure of the mod to initiate.

It has definitely been an interesting and brain busting exercise. :)

PM's suck. Ask in public and maybe someone else could take a whack. The collection of sdx devs is growing. :)

okay. I'll throw it out there tonight and see who bites.

Thanks everyone for helping me get through to this point. I have just released the first rough draft version of my mod and it is ready for people to try and give feedback so that tuning it up and making it better can be the next steps. All further discussion of this mod will be in that thread now that it is live.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?114413-0XP-RolMod

• 11 months later...
Extending this line of thought, I would like a mod that allows you to customize what gives exp or even a slider on it for various sources

Mining - 200% exp, 100% exp, 50% exp, 0% exp (none)

Zombies - same deal (200, 100, 500, 0%)

Building - ^^

Looting - ^^

Selling to Trader - ^^

this would let us customize our game even more. I personally don't want a zero exp game, but would love the ability to turn (some) to zero, or adjust them.

I may even do this mod myself if I can figure it out.

I know I'm a bit late to the party with this, and probably in the wrong thread...but is there a mod out by now to adjust 'Selling to Trader' xp? Or would I need to manually change an xml somewhere?

Keep in mind I have zero experience when it comes to adjusting files, so I'd rather avoid it if possible.

I have a mod going (Butcher's), that add animal skins with semi-high sell prices. I like the ability to hunt for skins and trade for a good value, the problem is that as soon as I sell even a few of them, I end up at an unreasonably high Player Level from the sales xp.

Normally it wouldn't be an issue if I added the mods to a save where I've progressed already, however when starting new games, it's a bit ridiculous to be level 20+ (and then some) on day 4-5 just from selling a handful of animal skins. Not to mention the Game-Stage havoc it plays having Radiated Demolisher groups spawn at night and during the 1st horde night on day 7. A little exaggerated maybe, but you get the point.

When I first started working on my mod I tried removing xp by zeroing out the xp earned from each action. I was never able to do it for trading, however. That xp does not appear in the xml.

Thankfully, I was able to do it instead by adjusting the options in the top menu to include 0% which handles everything at once.

But only removing the trading xp is something Inwas never able to figure out.

Archived