Zip Wire - Emergency escape method

Martial-Law

Would love the ability to erect a zip wire! :smug: (zip line/aerial runway/death slide) Just imagine, your base is compromised, hulks are destroying your foundations, spiders climbing the walls... No worries! Quickly get to your zip wire and get the hell outta there! Just a thought! I would defo use Zip wires if the zombie apocalypse happened in real life!

This is def a good idea Martial-Law. I would like to see this and some other additional physics ideas coded into the engine. I had suggested a couple of concepts including something such as elasticity to allow for tripwires, noose traps and other things along those lines. I think if the devs took your idea for a zipline and ran with it they could come up with some really cool uses for players in addition to the specific zipline use. An application for the same physics in a trap application. Def. So your idea is +1 from me.

I thought about this before, and the problom i ran into is that most likely, your base is going to be comprimised at night, when the zombies run 2x as fast as you can, so a zip line would not help you escape, it would just make you die somewhere far away from your base where it will impossible to get your loot back until morning. It would be cool to have to travel from tower to tower in a base or as high speed trasportation across the map via trees. It will be kind of redundant when vehicles come out.

[QUOTE=janseno;2591]I thought about this before, and the problom i ran into is that most likely, your base is going to be comprimised at night, when the zombies run 2x as fast as you can, [B]so a zip line would not help you escape, it would just make you die somewhere far away from your base where it will impossible to get your loot back until morning.[/B] It would be cool to have to travel from tower to tower in a base or as high speed trasportation across the map via trees. It will be kind of redundant when vehicles come out.[/QUOTE] Not really bro! Zip wire could link you to a secure platform lower down in your base system! Vehicles wouldnt help you do this procedure either!

[QUOTE=janseno;2598]how would this help you? you are just getting closer to the zombies[/QUOTE] It would help you because the platform can be secure, a bit like a panic room... You COULD have 3 or 4 platforms at decreasing heights, if the platforms become comprised you can retreat to the next one.

I see now. I still think that the zip lines would be cool, but they would be redundant, you could just have stairs that connect all of those platforms and the zombies wont get onto them as long as they dont touch the ground. Sorry if this sounds like im trying to shoot down your idea.

[QUOTE=janseno;2608]I see now. I still think that the zip lines would be cool, but they would be redundant, you could just have stairs that connect all of those platforms and the zombies wont get onto them as long as they dont touch the ground. Sorry if this sounds like im trying to shoot down your idea.[/QUOTE] I feel you might be acting obtuse mate!

[QUOTE=legionpete;2611]Problem with stairs. 1.) Zeds can easily follow you unless you break them out, 2) You need some supports for those stairs so there is the added material cost. [B]The only major issue will be how to setup said zip[/B]?[/QUOTE] Agreed... In the real world they use pullies. PULLIES!!!!

Ziplines could be used for entering and exiting a base, like a one-way in and a one-way out system that zombies cannot use. They could also be used in an emergency evacuation in two different ways. One is the impromptu evacuation (zip over your wall and head for the hills), and the other is the carefully planned evacuation, like going to your tunnel system and zipping across a spiked pit to escape the hoard. Ziplines could be implemented, I would have no problems with that. EDIT: I just had a thought, ziplines could also be used for traps and demolition. The player could fasten an explosive to the line, and let it slide to the end where it will blow up zombies and/or a wall. the reason I bring it up for demolition as well is to fulfill a very specific purpose: imagine that you are in the factory area on one of the upper floors, you want to destroy the stairway on the other side to prevent zombies getting up, but there are a ton over there that you don't want to get the attention of. You can use a crossbow or something to set up a zipline and then send a barrel over to blow it up.

I also think that there could be (maybe not "should be" but "could be") two types of wire, a more permanent kind that lasts a long time (maybe has condition, maybe weight limit, I don't know), and then the temporary kind that is shot from a crossbow. It could also be that the permanent zipline is just easier to make and the crossbow variety requires special materials, that could provide balance.

[QUOTE=Martial-Law;2623]Crossbow to set up the wire in the first place- Genius![/QUOTE] Yep, first thing I thought of when I read the original post was "Should be able to craft a special bolt for the upcoming crossbow, call it a 'zipline bolt' or something, and upon firing it successfully you create a secure zipline." Tomb Raider (the recent reboot) had very easy zipline mechanics in it, and Mirror's Edge did it a while back, too. Granted those ones were fixed, but the zipline mechanic is still in place. My plan for using them (if they were in the game) would be to build a few individual, standalone defence towers surrounded by anti-zombie precautions. Each one would have 2 layered platforms, and upon zipping to one of them, I immediately climb a ladder from the landing platform up to the top of the tower -where a box of ammo for my guns and an escape-line await me. I'd use these to get 'outside' the perimeter of my main base and thin out the horde from a better firing line if they were making significant progress with digging their way into my base.

[QUOTE=Winterfellhard;3450]Hmmm after carefully thinking about this. They just need to add rope. Which could be attached to a crossbow bolt. Once fire, you will become like robin hood and tie the rope to something making your zip line. Use some leather or cloth fabric to go over the rope, and let your slide begin.[/QUOTE] Thats what the game needs.

I think it's a great idea, and like Jayzen said, ladders are now a liability rather than and asset, so it would be nice for new means to get into our base that zombies can't follow (because i think constantly building and busting ladders is cheesy)

Archived