Let's DISCUSS crouching!

leaderdog

This half squat crouch is a nightmare for digging.

I am digging an extensive series of pits just to see how it works. But digging is such a pain with this half crouch. You have to crouch then sneak under the first lip of the dig in order to see or reach any subsequent blocks to dig out, if you accidentally hit the one you're under it goes back to the half squat that interferes with your digging.

Worse yet, you clip through the map so often that you end up missing your "swing" to dig. so you're constantly re-positioning.

It is a horrible experience over all. I've never had this much trouble digging in any previous alpha and I'm hoping the real squat can come back. Or have a new button to make a full squat so this isn't so frustrating.

Thanks.

What you call a proper crouch sounds like a bizarre crouch to me. How would you swing a pickaxe or shovel when you're hunkered down like that anyway?

As much as I would agree with this, I would also point out that we should also be swinging maces, sledgehammers... yet there is no swing anymore in A17 :)

Sure, unrealistic, let's run with that.

But anyways, the digging is horrible because of the current crouch.

And yes, I am squeezing into a one size block because I'm digging sand and letting it fall. And if you don't squeeze into that one block space you can only dig one block in. Thus the constant clipping through the world.

And while both of you are correct it shouldn't be possible. Neither should digging the blocks at all make sense while stuffing them in your pocket. But for the sake of gameplay, it's a hell of a lot more fun when you can actually do the work without being frustrated.

oh and I'm pretty sure the pimps designed it that way so you could squeeze through tight spaces, beside boxes and angled roofs etc. So it does work for the digging, however you cannot crawl around in the one block space, Just squat further on the edge.

Sounds like you're trying to squeeze into single-block spaces, which isn't possible. As it is now, the crouch is more realistic to the characters actual state than it has ever been before.

Why can't we get a prone option that does let you do this? I've always wondered. I wouldn't even mind if prone lets you not perform any activities at all except move, except perhaps use certain select tools/weapons like a marksman rifle. the ability to go prone would drastically improve the usefulness of using a silencer on top of a marksman rifle, because in my opinion going prone would reduce noise / increase stealth even more than crouching.

I have to agree with this, the crouch is very bad and we should stop letting realism in a video game with zombies interfere with simple game mechanics, we all seem to have this dichotomy of realism vs video game world, and at some point we need to stop allowing realism to inhibit us, sure you can argue its a survival game, so making it realistic is something most of us would want, but there are many unrealistic features that we ignore because its a video game.

So we must decide, do we really want full realism, or are we simply cherry picking for the sake of what appeases our personal interests or tastes?

I am in full support for the old crouch returning for the reason stated, it does make digging and navigating much harder, also swinging a tool while crouched isn't really as difficult as you would think, I did it all the time when I worked as labor hands when I was 18.

Why can't we get a prone option that does let you do this? I've always wondered. I wouldn't even mind if prone lets you not perform any activities at all except move, except perhaps use certain select tools/weapons like a marksman rifle. the ability to go prone would drastically improve the usefulness of using a silencer on top of a marksman rifle, because in my opinion going prone would reduce noise / increase stealth even more than crouching.

I agree a prone option would be cool. It would have to be limited on what you could do it in though. Any melee-type object will be a no-go. Bows, augers, and chainsaws shouldn't be usable either. Basically you're going to be limited to the various guns. Should reduce aiming/accuracy on pistols, but increase it on the rifles.

I agree a prone option would be cool. It would have to be limited on what you could do it in though. Any melee-type object will be a no-go. Bows, augers, and chainsaws shouldn't be usable either. Basically you're going to be limited to the various guns. Should reduce aiming/accuracy on pistols, but increase it on the rifles.

Oh yeah totally agreed. I think even using all the guns may or may not make sense. But snipers in real life almost always fire from a prone position in a military situation to hide themselves and also improve accuracy, so it makes a lot of sense to allow at least the use of a marksman rifle.

I like using sniper rifles in games, but the marksman rifle leaves a lot to be desired imo... I much prefer the crossbow for stealth over a silenced marksman in vanilla. It's not great for a whole horde really which leaves the only use for long distance sniping which even then isn't even that great except for in the wild, and in the wild zombies are really not dangerous anyway unless you're playing on Nightmare speeds, at which point good luck because when they move that fast, nearly impossible to head shot after the initial hit(s) and because it is so loud even with a silencer, the chance is strong you agro other things, so we go back to other weapons being more useful since once you agro a horde or several zombies on nightmare, you'll probably want to fall back to things like the sledgehammer or an AK-47 / SMG / possibly shotgun.

I still think they should give us a rifle even better than marksman. Like a 50-cal. Then we would have a sniper that is beneficial for things other than stealth (Which, as stated, the marksman can't even really do) but can actually kill any thing in one hit (to the head). The drawback would be reload each shot, like the hunting rifle. Maybe also massive recoil, which disorients you for a second or so (Unless you fire prone), so that you can't (and shouldn't) use it in close quarter combat.

I agree it's annoying, even if I haven't excavated a large area in this patch yet. Couple places here and there, enough to note it doesn't work properly.

An idea popped into mind while reading this, haven't tested .. would it work to dig yourself one block deep every, well, 4 blocks?. Sure it's more digging, but at least it might be more tolerable since you're not forced to try to wiggle your way around the silly hitboxes. Will try for myself, I guess this is mostly trading an annoyance to another, but might be worth a shot :)

I still think they should give us a rifle even better than marksman. Like a 50-cal. Then we would have a sniper that is beneficial for things other than stealth (Which, as stated, the marksman can't even really do) but can actually kill any thing in one hit (to the head). The drawback would be reload each shot, like the hunting rifle. Maybe also massive recoil, which disorients you for a second or so (Unless you fire prone), so that you can't (and shouldn't) use it in close quarter combat.

I'm still waiting for someone at TFP to implement something as basic as a spear. Literally, a sharpened stick. Just saying, Pimps........

Otherwise, I agree. I'm always for more variations of weapons, armor, items, and anything else that makes the game more immersive and interesting. In addition to the items you mentioned, i'd make it *extremely* loud, able to draw things in from farther distances. Definitely a good idea, all told. :)

I agree the crouch is bad.

I'm not much of a digger but even reaching under objects to loot stuff or repair something is annoying. You have to break one full block below ground level and stand in the hole to have proper eye level.

And involving realism doesn't help much. The gameplay is still bad with this "realistic" crouch.

I want the ability to at least jump one block while crouching! Or at least be able to 'climb' up... Now its like trying to sneak up on some zeds, then get up and say "Hi Zeds, I'm right here trying to sneak up on you!" Then go back to crouching once you've jumped up.... Least us not forget the "PLayerHeavyLand" effects from jumping... What is that you ask? Sound AND Heat!!!

Bringing this back up.

I spent a few days looting and running around and came back to digging out my trenches prepping for next horde night.

Trying to dig out blocks are painful. PAINFUL. Now that I have an auger, it's even worse considering the reach is less, and the clipping through the world feels worse than it was. All you do is end up wasting fuel.

I've gotten stuck a few times where I had to spend some time trying to figure out how to get back out of the current position I was in because I've clipped through the world, can't hit blocks, above, or around and then have to wiggle your way out.

Please give us a crouch that works for mining.

Is there a setting I can tweak in the xml that allows my fool to crouch lower than the existing not really crouching position?

I want the ability to at least jump one block while crouching! Or at least be able to 'climb' up... Now its like trying to sneak up on some zeds, then get up and say "Hi Zeds, I'm right here trying to sneak up on you!" Then go back to crouching once you've jumped up.... Least us not forget the "PLayerHeavyLand" effects from jumping... What is that you ask? Sound AND Heat!!!

Agree. I have replaced the wooden frame in my tool belt for a wooden incline to solve this. Works well but really is a bandaid.

What's all this talk about having proper couches again??

I can think of at least three different types of couches already in the game. Sectionals, leather and cloth. What's not proper about those??

There are plenty of things we should be worried about before we go picking on couches anyways.

tenor.gif?itemid=10001771

-Miss Emily Litella.

I think this is something you can change in the xml. Darkness Falls Mod increases the height you can jump and it also affects jumping from a squat position. I have no problem jumping a single block. I have my agility maxed out in the game, so not sure when it started kicking in, but it does allow for single block jumps.

Just haven't figured out a way to crouch so I can dig without clipping through the world constantly.

I think this is something you can change in the xml. Darkness Falls Mod increases the height you can jump and it also affects jumping from a squat position. I have no problem jumping a single block. I have my agility maxed out in the game, so not sure when it started kicking in, but it does allow for single block jumps.

Just haven't figured out a way to crouch so I can dig without clipping through the world constantly.

I wonder, would parkour do the same thing?

• 3 weeks later...
I wonder, would parkour do the same thing?

Genuine no ♥♥♥♥ moment.

Parkour totally fixes this. So, in retrospect, not an issue at all. It is another thing to think about when assigning those precious perks.

Archived