Making Quests: your thoughts

Narima

I am Questing with my husband - in other games i love questing.

ATM i dont have much fun:

1) i can only get one 1 from trader in my q-log - and one shared from my husband.

2) If the shared q is the same i have- then its bugged - only one of us can do the quest as its not ready for the second player.

3) Quests are buggy- if a Zomie is killed from a mine in the POI - the zombie is killed but the Game says: its not clear. We had this problem several qquests -we got the mark but there was no mob... we even make sure with the command where i can look what creatures are around us.

4) if you have a big POI and you make a RL Break - you close the game - the shared q player is bitten in the butt...As he drops the q automatically...

5) Quests are NOT rewarding: sry, a crap item you sell for X Dukes on trader you can craft 50 more lvls before better, 4000 Dukes and 15k EXP is not rewarding if you are at lvl 150...

6) if you die your quests is abandoned... ok no problem as the reward is crap when i have 80.0000 Dukes and the trader has no more ammo to buy...

Finished q should be rewarded with really good loot: Ammunition would be good - Shotgun shells. 9mm , Magnum and the hunter rifle ammu - i dont know the exaxt calibre - but i say to it 8*57 IS or .308 as ists standard here ;)

Or give as reward strong doors/Blocks with durability *3 as the normal blocks -special items not gotten per normal playing. Or give as q rewards much better food, water, bandages than the normal ones or special buffs that are normally not available via te current skill system...

i started questing at the start - and the rewards was always nearly useless.

and last point - we are getting lvl 5 q since several ingame weeks : always the same: the Shottgun Massiahs, some i think chemical lab and a hotel? ...

We turn in the q - and got same spot again and again - thats boring - and yes its the same spot even if the Shotgun messiah is on the other left top or the right bottom side of the map - its the same boring shotgun messiah we have to clear....

Make the q- system pls better - there are many bugs atm - sry if its a feature but i fell it as a bug.

Q are not really rewarding- most time only frustrating and i only make them as my husband is used to games where questing is rewarded and he thinks will probably beeing better if we are getting higher than q lvl 5...

For me - questing is useless as most time we are angry about bugged mechanics, only bad rewards...

My husband hopes for better rewards beyond lvl 5 quests but when it was continous ♥♥♥♥ , i dont think it will be better at higher lvls - and i googled and not really find answer to the qw system - how many q stages are in game ? What are the different types per Quest stage ? Seems that not many do questing as these is really spare infos per google and most threads are only low q- stages...

Most of the current quest system feels slapped together and I believe its just a place holder for the real one. I wouldn't want to think this is TFP's best shot as the implications would be depressing.

Just in case they are looking for some more ideas:

-Some quests should have long term or even permanent affects.

1) Fix a nuclear power plant and you can run a cable to any streetlight and get unlimited free power (for the player anyway). Once every 7 days you need to perform maintenance (10 electrical and mechanical parts) and receive a 10,000 Duke payment, as you're probably the only "Scientist" in the area. That or train a NPC as your assistance and you split the money. This will cause a big boost to NPC growth.

2) After establishing power, you can fix a water works (after clearing it). For cheap, clean water (maintenance costs). Another boost to NPC growth and a larger weekly paycheck.

3) You are then asked to become in charge of the main settlement in the area with the obvious problems of security, but numerous survival and standards of living issues that any large and growing settlement would have.

And that's just one (Late game) quest chain! :)

The "So your in charge now" sub-quest. (expanding #3 in the late game guest, which is a "on-going" type)

-Once the Good faction gives you control over the main settlement.

1) The good news is you get a large weekly sum of money.

2) The bad news is 99% of the money is to pay others to chop wood, build/repair walls and dig ore.

In essence, YOU are the "quest" generator for the NPC's you are in charge of:

Security forces need weapons, ammo, armor and training. Some have to make all that.

Food and cooking would be the second biggest deal.

Toilets and other sanitary measure to keep infection down, need pipes which need forges to make the pipes from clay.

Its for me a bit over the top to run a Nuclear plant.

But yes, quests to restore small communitys of survivors sound great.

Maybe wind, solar, water energy would be a nice idea instead

Well, it is a game and your character in late game should be perfectly capable (You're just boiling water, it just has a very narrow margin for error). :) Although a coal plant might be better for some as coal is in the game. Just get some NPC's to mine it and you have the same effect.

I was thinking of having radiated zombie sometimes drop nuclear fuel to make killing them worth something.

But any one of those other options you mentioned would work as well, depending on the map.

Not going to give very good feedback because I barely use traders and have hardly done any quests.

I think that the main reason quest rewards feel unrewarding even earlier than the OP mentions, is simply because of the loot tables and the economy. I feel that everything is too readily available.

Most of the current quest system feels slapped together and I believe its just a place holder for the real one. I wouldn't want to think this is TFP's best shot as the implications would be depressing.

Just in case they are looking for some more ideas:

-Some quests should have long term or even permanent affects.

1) Fix a nuclear power plant and you can run a cable to any streetlight and get unlimited free power (for the player anyway). Once every 7 days you need to perform maintenance (10 electrical and mechanical parts) and receive a 10,000 Duke payment, as you're probably the only "Scientist" in the area. That or train a NPC as your assistance and you split the money. This will cause a big boost to NPC growth.

2) After establishing power, you can fix a water works (after clearing it). For cheap, clean water (maintenance costs). Another boost to NPC growth and a larger weekly paycheck.

3) You are then asked to become in charge of the main settlement in the area with the obvious problems of security, but numerous survival and standards of living issues that any large and growing settlement would have.

And that's just one (Late game) quest chain! :)

Yes, hopefully it is a placeholder. Permanent effects would be great. Side-effects would also be interesting. The "npc growth" you mentioned in the other thread as well, could even simply be a simple indicator you would be able to check at the trader about the state of trade/population in the general area, affecting the trader's available cash, quests available, slightly factoring to GS, (even loot respawn times and drops could be dynamic) etc. Your perks could just offset that indicator or allow for more impactful changes.

Yes, hopefully it is a placeholder. Permanent effects would be great. Side-effects would also be interesting. The "npc growth" you mentioned in the other thread as well, could even simply be a simple indicator you would be able to check at the trader about the state of trade/population in the general area, affecting the trader's available cash, quests available, slightly factoring to GS, (even loot respawn times and drops could be dynamic) etc. Your perks could just offset that indicator or allow for more impactful changes.

NPC population could be like Game Stage, having impact on more than just trader stocks and prices.

Once population hits 200 (I'm guessing at least 100 NPC's are needed to keep 5 traders in business.) Word will start to spread about the wealth of the players area and that will start drawing "unsavory" NPC groups into the map opening up new quests. Also, not dealing with the bad groups will have permanent effects on the players map.

Dealing with the "Bad" groups shouldn't always need their elimination. A Player with a high enough barter skill might be able to pay and feed them, then make them a security force for the growing settlement! Perhaps killing their leader might always be a minimum requirement.

Archived