Simple dungeon generation and server management integration.

DEADication

Simple dungeon generation and Server Management integration.

I have been having a look at random dungeon generation and am investigating the potential of putting together a concept demo system.

The basic concept is simple and is not original.

Every prefab module has info linked to it, most specifically doorway\opening patterns on the 'active' sides, that determines what library\ies to randomly select the next prefab\s from, and how to position those prefabs. The prefab 'output' determines the library to select from, the 'input' determines what library a prefab belongs to.

At its most rudimentary operation, with prefabs standardised to max width and height, placed in one direction without change in depth or direction in a single path, coding would be reasonably easy. (I think I could potentially make a crude primitive go of it)

At its most complex, minimal standardisation of prefabs, multipathed with changes in depth and direction, with any sides active, the coding would be much more complex (a bit beyond me).

If I persevere alone I would only be looking to make a really basic concept demo.

And being a caveman it would take me a while, maybe more than I should commit to.

A big part of the work would also be putting together the prefabs, even with the most minimalist demo libraries it is still a lot of prefabs.

Sorry to bore you with the background, on with the point of the post.

When I first envisaged this, I imagined a standalone app making its own discrete telnet connection and then sending console commands to place the prefabs, basically a mini temporary server manager.

What I have been wondering about though, what is the potential for using existing server management systems to facilitate it?

Looking at things like reading commands from file, execution of external apps, integrated coding and anything else that might be relevant.

Just looking for what would be the best position to start from?

I am not a coder and I don't know much, so I may not necessarily understand or would be competent to implement any solutions.

If people who are vastly more competent than I (probably most :)), want to take this and run with it, feel free.

I am throwing it out there.

I neither own it nor is it original... it's just something that I've been thinking about.

Well thanks for reading this, please post any thoughts and ideas.

I will be away over the coming week and wont be working on anything, so should someone post and I don't respond, I'll be back. This is multiplayer section... threads can take weeks to get buried.

I'd like to start out with I am also not a coder, however, I do know quite a few who do mods for 7D. Telnet is bad mmkay! You're approach would best be suited via the api. I am going to share this post with one coder in particular and see what he thinks.

Secondly, Hal9000 had a prefab editor pre A16 that auto created mazes and dungeons as a prefab file and it was awesome. I haven't seen anyone update to anything past there yet. In fact I may mention it to Hal too but he could be really busy, but I like the way you think. If you're interested in learning to mod or if you do modding already, drop a reply.

Telnet is bad mmkay! You're approach would best be suited via the api.

Ah yes, I am aware of the api, but have no clue whatsoever on how to connect via and pass commands. Whereas I can connect via telnet with ease. I did look into using the api sometime back, but couldn't find any documentation for dummies. For a concept demo I'm not overly concerned though, telnet will work well enough for people to get the gist. Generating a dungeon should be a short term one off connection. Api, of course, would be the preferred method, just don't know how. (One of the reasons for the OP)

Secondly, Hal9000 had a prefab editor pre A16 that auto created mazes and dungeons as a prefab file and it was awesome. I haven't seen anyone update to anything past there yet. In fact I may mention it to Hal too but he could be really busy, but I like the way you think. If you're interested in learning to mod or if you do modding already, drop a reply.

Yeah since I posted I have become aware of work that others have done. Haidr'Gna has also been working on randomised generation.

Apart from differences in generation method, dungeon construction at anytime in the life of the server instance is something I would look at. Also to be able to do it remotely is something I feel would be highly useful.

After putting more thought into planning I have decided the first steps would be to put together a minimalist demo library set.

You can't play with blocks unless you have some blocks to play with. :)

When I get back home, I will begin this.

Archived