Friend can't connect to me

Cyber Shadow

Heya friend bought 7 Days to play with me but we can't connect to each other for some reason. Im able to connect to public servers and so can she but if either of us try to host a private game we can't connect. I have a 3rd friend that can connect to both of us just fine but we just cant connect to each other for some reason? Tried both 26900 and 25000 ports , disabled my router's firewall , verified game files and disabled EAC. Anyone have an idea how we can fix this?

Log of last attempt : https://pastebin.com/j9BUyQQz

Tried the solution here : https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?102681-Can-t-Connect-to-friends-server

and it didn't work either. Also the problem the OP there describes is the same as what my friend says my server looks like in server list (blank IP and -1 Port).

Update : I have set up a static IP , forwarded ports 26900 , 25000-25003 , and 8080-8081 and still not able to connect to eachother.

Well this is the first issue in your log to be concerned about.

Could not open file C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/7 Days To Die/7DaysToDie_Data/resources.assets for read

This file is kind of critical for the game to function.

Usually that's because you didn't exclude the game client from your security software like you're supposed to. It could also be because you're not running the game from the same Windows account that installed it, and your account doesn't have the correct permissions on the folder.

Follow the instructions here. Once you have done that, verify your client files.

You might also look into moving Steam outside of the gimped x86 folder. I recommend using C:\Games\Steam... and excluding the entire Games folder from my AV software. Then I just install all of my games into that folder so that I don't need to exclude each one. It's a lot less hassle, and ensures that 64-bit software will run correctly.

Never had an issue playing the game either solo , in a dedicated server or with others before . Just this one specific person. Anyways I added ADDITIONAL exceptions for both the 7daystodie.exes to Windows firewall in both Inbound and Outbound rules , same for the ports stated previously. I also added the .exes to Webroots "allow" rule section it only allows me to add .exes to it. I can't do any further troubleshooting for now as my friend is asleep.

Going to try more things later after work.

Never had an issue playing the game either solo , in a dedicated server or with others before . Just this one specific person. Anyways I added ADDITIONAL exceptions for both the 7daystodie.exes to Windows firewall in both Inbound and Outbound rules , same for the ports stated previously. I also added the .exes to Webroots "allow" rule section it only allows me to add .exes to it. I can't do any further troubleshooting for now as my friend is asleep.

Going to try more things later after work.

Your firewall isn't going to be locking the file, your antivirus is.

Looking at Webroot's website, that has got to be the worst support method ever for finding information. At least, if you know what you're doing. It's like it's designed for those who don't know anything at all about computers, but leads you in really poor directions and give extremely incomplete data.

Turns out that the software is designed so that you cannot exclude entire folders. Took a bit of searching to discover that this isn't a lack of instruction, but a lack of a required feature. Further research shows that Webroot has quite a history or poor performance, and even their manned support is lackluster. Not to mention a staggering number of reports of Webroot not actually cancelling automatic renewals.

I sincerely hope that you didn't pay for this software. It's literally less functional than Windows Defender.

All due respect , Im just looking for technical support not critique on my choice of AV. Unless 7Days team blacklists support for anyone using said AV. I HIGHLY doubt the problem is my AV as I've never had any connection issues before. I've already confirmed my ability to connect to public servers and a different friend that could connect to me directly. The issue might be on my other friend's side yes but I'm looking for a way to identify it. She just purchased the game yesterday due to the Steam sale so its not any issue with mods or previous save data or any of that sort.

I also have never installed any mods but I did reinstall the game per your last post. I am going to trouble shoot more after work.

Yes I do pay $60 yearly for Webroot , despite your claims I have had no issues with it. It blocked one bad file I tried to download once and removed it .

Not critiquing your AV choices, just the software itself. There is a very large chance that it's exactly what is causing your issue. With the vast majority of other AV software, there is the ability to exclude an entire folder from active and scheduled scans for this very reason. For Webroot to outright deny this ability is quite appalling as an industry standard.

All I can go by is the information provided in your log. Based on that information, one of the core client files was unable to be read because it was locked by another program. The solution for this is to exclude the game software fully from antivirus and other security scans. It's been a standard operating procedure for over 30 years in this industry.

Honestly, I meant no offense. I only intend to provide you with as much information as I can, so that you can move forward without further issues.

Archived