Horde Night Bases for Melee Fighters

Psychodabble

What have you guys come up with that doesn't exploit the AI?

Exploit bases are easy to make, ranged fight bases are easy to make. I have yet to come up with anything that defeats insane zombie block damage and allows a melee fighter to stay melee for horde night.

I know that coffee/beer marathon is an option, but that's not what I'm looking for. I want a base design like the old school pillar 50s that will let me cut my way through the horde with some basic protection. It's fine if it's not 100% safe.

VANILLA SOLUTIONS ONLY.

P.S. Mods, plz don't move this to the graveyard just because folks post a few images instead of just describing their design.

I'm playing melee/int-focused on two different games with friends and have tried to revamp base layouts a bit to my own advantage.

Something I found to help me out a fair bit was to basically make some sets of small ramps crossing over on 4 blocks height above the ground.

Making one main set of ramps in a # shape so I can run towards the ramps to get on top, cross-over in the middle to the next Zed I want to chase and then jump down on top of them with my trusty sledge! (I'd advise to not use plain ground if it's quite upgraded and you have high skills; missing will result in destroying the groundblock in my case.)

It must be noted however that the main change I use from vanilla is that my zombies won't go faster then jog-speed; Wouldn't dare say for sure how much impact it may have if they'd run, right now I don't rely on the ramps that much untill there's multiple glowies incoming.

IMHO it's quite important to keep kiting the bastards after you and preferrably prevent them from coming close to other stuff.

jawoodle on youtube did a melee base in which the zombies just run around him in circles not attacking blocks and his can melee them safely.

That would probably qualify as an "exploit" though. Most of what Jawoodle does are exploits. Not hating on him, just stating a fact.

Basically what the others have said Pyschodabble; you'll need fallback/s.

Made a zero 'cheats' base w horizontal doubled Poles on a single face, solid the other three sides, and a falling ladder escape route. To start only used flat barbed wire. Later added double row of E-fencing. No spikes or other primary killing traps.

My experiance showed that I didn't have nearly enough melee damage output to keep up (specs in other post). But I was able to do quite a bit of melee'ing.

I made a thread about this, has pics to explain the falling ladder bit, here: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?104853-A17-0-my-attempt-at-a-pure-melee-base-w-fall-back-Had-to-use-guns-though

Bottom line, imo, is that it's currently not possible to make a no cheat, no kill-traps, melee only _base_ for more than the first few weeks. but that's just my opinion.

And the 'open field', no base "defense" seems the only really viable way to go pure melee by mid-game.

What have you guys come up with that doesn't exploit the AI?

The problem is that you have only 2 Choices.

* Make a fallhole or you will be overruned

(There is no fall back, the path system has a max lenght. And your first path should be nearly that long.)

* Make a base that take the Damage and repair it every monday

So if you see fallholes as exploit (which would be in real a 180 Degree turned hatch with a spring) then there is not much more left than a simple massive base with tons of barbwire and spikes or other traps

For an interesting time, make a wall, two high, add a plate on top.. stand there and bash skulls. Get parkour 3/5 and you can straight up and jump it. Reinforced concrete recommended, as it will take quite the beating. Only the quality of the second block really matters, bottom and top might as well be flagstone.

You'll get plenty of friends when they start piling up, so plant a few of these and ways to get up them in case something messes your agi.

When you say exploit, do you mean take advantage of or do you mean doing something the game developers didn't expect?

Because zombie pathing something I clearly think the game developers planned for so I don't feel that it is an exploit.

When I say exploit I mean breaking the AI so that the zeds are unable to fight (like running in circles) or do dumb stuff like running away from you when they are right in front of you because the AI picked up a better path.

That's my current strategy and it works, but it really sucks. I want to stick with melee because that's where all my perks and points went and I feel like it should be a viable way to play, but it seems like it's impossible to do legit without dying a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

For an interesting time, make a wall, two high, add a plate on top.. stand there and bash skulls. Get parkour 3/5 and you can straight up and jump it. Reinforced concrete recommended, as it will take quite the beating. Only the quality of the second block really matters, bottom and top might as well be flagstone.

You'll get plenty of friends when they start piling up, so plant a few of these and ways to get up them in case something messes your agi.

Do you not get Spiders in your hordes? Seems to me they'd crash that party quick fast.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically what the others have said Pyschodabble; you'll need fallback/s.

Made a zero 'cheats' base w horizontal doubled Poles on a single face, solid the other three sides, and a falling ladder escape route. To start only used flat barbed wire. Later added double row of E-fencing. No spikes or other primary killing traps.

My experiance showed that I didn't have nearly enough melee damage output to keep up (specs in other post). But I was able to do quite a bit of melee'ing.

I made a thread about this, has pics to explain the falling ladder bit, here: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?104853-A17-0-my-attempt-at-a-pure-melee-base-w-fall-back-Had-to-use-guns-though

Bottom line, imo, is that it's currently not possible to make a no cheat, no kill-traps, melee only _base_ for more than the first few weeks. but that's just my opinion.

And the 'open field', no base "defense" seems the only really viable way to go pure melee by mid-game.

This is what I was looking for, but it sounds like it didn't work too well. Disappointing.

Do you not get Spiders in your hordes? Seems to me they'd crash that party quick fast.

Sure. I did mention the suggestion was for "interesting times". The frogs get up, bite the ankle a bit, or maybe sit on your head for a while. Then they apply the lotion, or get the shotgun to the face. Some use for those med kits and antibiotics at least ... :)

Archived