🧙 Sorcery Mod - A21.2 Stable LIVE! (v1.94)

Devrix

So when it comes to harvesting of the essence, is the essence mastery the only thing that effects gathering rate? I like the idea of mining to get the resources, but if I am playing with a group I am not fond of the idea that I would want to max strength as well just so I don't waste the ore I am gathering just so I can do magic.

Correct, Essence Mastery is the only "harvesting buff/factor".

The only benefit of strength would be extra stamina and speed. Is this how you prefer it?

play=1

Extracting / harvesting Ice Essence and "The Ice Transmutation Ritual".

One of the most challenging, and funnest (I hope), aspects of playing as a Sorcerer will be attaining and obtaining Essence to craft your Spells and perform Sorceries.

I would love your feedback on how YOU would like to attain and obtain Essence, beyond what's demonstrated in this demo vid.

Currently, you obtain Essence the following ways:

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]Essence[/TD]

[TD]Tree[/TD]

[TD]Boulder[/TD]

[TD]Ore[/TD]

[TD]Transmutation[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fire[/TD]

[TD]Burnt, Oak[/TD]

[TD]All[/TD]

[TD]Coal, Oil Shale[/TD]

[TD]Fire Ritual[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Ice[/TD]

[TD]Winter[/TD]

[TD]All[/TD]

[TD]Potassium Nitrate[/TD]

[TD]Ice Ritual[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Lightning[/TD]

[TD]Forest, Oak[/TD]

[TD]All[/TD]

[TD]Lead[/TD]

[TD]Lightning Ritual[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

** All natural sources have a chance for Core Essence

** Planted trees must be fully grown, much rarer to drop essence and they currently cannot drop Core Essence.

** May implement ability to plant and grow essence directly (yay nay?)

Have you considered adding Earth based spells or even borrow from the radiated environment with something like Radium?

What about adding elemental beings for each mastery? Beings the player must initially destroy in order to harvest important, and perhaps essential, Core Essences. Off the top of my head and borrowing heavily from old tropes... ICE: Frost Giant or Ice Golem. Fire: Magma Fiend or Fire Wraith. Lightning: Storm Sentient or Charged Specter. Earth beings could comprise of something like a Trent or Nature Spirit. And Radium might have something like, Unstable Construct, Decaying Nightmare or Shambling Horror.

You could also give the player infinities with certain dominated elementals in the form of boosters to magic, pertaining to said elemental, while in the presence of that elemental.

You could also summon these things, ( perhaps stronger versions of the ones you have previously dominated ) but with a high resource cost and perhaps also, a hit to players health and overall resistance to the attacks of other beings outside of the field of magic, ( and of opposing magics, more below ) of the summoned being, to simulate the summons is draining you. Think Raistlin from the Dragonlance series; capable of terrifying power, but weak as a kitten afterwords.

Each elemental discipline of magic could also have strengths and weaknesses depending on the biome and summoned being and cause extra hatred by an opposing elemental to the currently used spell discipline. So for example, you summon an Ice Golem in the snow biome and it and you are more powerful, than lets say, you summoned the same being and used the same magic in the Forrest region.

Conversely, Forrest Elementals spawn more frequently and attack with more ferocity because they consider frost a treat to their existence in their biome.

So you could do, Fire and Ice oppose, Earth and Radium oppose, Earth and Fire oppose ect.

Just throwing some ideas out off the top of my head. I see great potential here. Have you thought about the use of staves? Staves could be a later game weapon which is hard to build, unstable to all but the most powerful...

Best of luck to you on this.

play=1

One of the most challenging, and funnest (I hope), aspects of playing as a Sorcerer will be attaining and obtaining Essence to craft your Spells and perform Sorceries.

I would love your feedback on how YOU would like to attain and obtain Essence, beyond what's demonstrated in this demo vid.

[TR]

[TD]Essence[/TD]

[TD]Tree[/TD]

[TD]Boulder[/TD]

[TD]Ore[/TD]

[TD]Transmutation[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fire[/TD]

[TD]Burnt, Oak[/TD]

[TD]All[/TD]

[TD]Coal, Oil Shale[/TD]

[TD]Fire Ritual[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Ice[/TD]

[TD]Winter[/TD]

[TD]All[/TD]

[TD]Ice Ritual[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Lightning[/TD]

[TD]Forest, Oak[/TD]

[TD]All[/TD]

[TD]Lead[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

** Planted trees must be fully grown, much rarer to drop essence and they currently cannot drop Core Essence.

I think it would be interesting to have different types of "rain" that would force the player to go put a bucket out and "gather essence" from the realm. If environmental effects like rain can make you wet, I don't see why it couldn't make a bucket "full".

Maybe you can only collect certain rare elements during rain on a horde night, or something.

It would offer a much riskier playstyle because for specific spell types you'd have no choice but to wander around until it either started raining, or you found a biome with rain / snow.

play=1

[TR]

[TD]Essence[/TD]

[TD]Tree[/TD]

[TD]Boulder[/TD]

[TD]Ore[/TD]

[TD]Transmutation[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fire[/TD]

[TD]Burnt, Oak[/TD]

[TD]All[/TD]

[TD]Coal, Oil Shale[/TD]

[TD]Fire Ritual[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Ice[/TD]

[TD]Winter[/TD]

[TD]All[/TD]

[TD]Ice Ritual[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Lightning[/TD]

[TD]Forest, Oak[/TD]

[TD]All[/TD]

[TD]Lead[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Well growing your own is quite fitting. the sages etc have their gardens they collect their special stuff from. and besides who dont love farming lol...

Correct, Essence Mastery is the only "harvesting buff/factor".

The only benefit of strength would be extra stamina and speed. Is this how you prefer it?

I guess its fine, just means the miner in the group would want to put some points in sorcery, just to help the others and not waste resources.

haha sorry to disappoint! ...soon my friend, soon!

I know it's unlikely to happen right this moment, but I'm hoooooooping by a miracle that TFP blesses us with allowing for Localization.txt modifications through xpath (would have to convert and all that). Sorcery has a loooooooot of text that needs to be added there.

I'd also like to tap into the quest localization, which would make that a millenia easier.

Anyway, until then, yes... a batch would be much appreciated, for all our sake!

Lol no worries my friend!

I've used the batch method for both Localization and Quest Localization. So it's more than doable :) Just let me know!

Good feedback, gents. Additional elements are planned beyond the success of implementing the primary three: Nature/Poison/Radiation (as mentioned, themed around the fallout), then Dark/Light of sorts.

Also, I'm a fan of companion/pets of sorts too... we'll sneak something in, one way or another.

Everything will remain themed around the biomes and existing story/content as much as possible.

Regarding NPC's, I'm 100% intending on tapping into the A18(?) Bandit system when it arrives and making friend/foe Sorcerer's a thing. Beyond that, I think my time will be best spent on further expanding Sorcery and its systems directly, versus trying to get into character modelling and animation (not a quick or light feat).

So in a nutshell, absolute planned features beyond what's listed:

• More elements: Poison/Nature/Radiation > Dark/Light
  • A full arsenal of items to compliment the Sorcery attribute and skills (armor/equipables/mods) [i'm sneaking a couple things in now]
  • NPC Sorcerer's, friend and foe
  • Sorcerer Quests (exclusivity/unlocking as @Necrodemus mentioned)
  • More Spells
  • Skill Tree and Perk expansion

Spell trails now persist on impact (versus initial instant vanish) and we now have spell impact effects for the environment+foe: visual and sound (looks and feels much better). I'll get a video uploaded later evening of these changes and a preview of the new Ice effects.

Good feedback, gents. Additional elements are planned beyond the success of implementing the primary three: Nature/Poison/Radiation (as mentioned, themed around the fallout), then Dark/Light of sorts.

Bloodmagic would maybe a nice idea.

* A pestilence that slows down and damage enemys

* Blood boost for faster player movement and more melee damage

* Boiling Blood to damage Enemys and let them explode (detach limbs)

As source you need to harvest blood from Animals (later NPC/Bandits)

(Blood packages could work too)

Just as idea

I would like to be able to transmute corpses as a way to get some essence. Especially if it was based on the corpse in question. Burnt zombies give fire, Lumberjacks give ice, and animals give a generic one that can be used for anything.

I think this would be very interesting to do because most people hide behind fortresses during sieges so you wouldn't be able to easily restock your supplies when the zombies are there on the 7th day unless you know how to make defenses for that purpose. Which is, in and of itself, another twist this mod brings. Do I make the fortress so that I can harvest as we go, or do I set it up so that the majority of the gunslinging crew has the advantage and I just make do?

By having animals be a great source of essence, you essentailly have to chose between eating them and taking them apart for crafting, or using them to fuel your magic.

I don't like knocking down the essense tree with an axe. Especially because I know that a chainsaw can be used instead and I feel like that somehow detaches from the whole feel of it. I would rather see the tree transform into an essence tree, and then turn into pure essence later. Or, you can activate it to directly extract the essence to your inventory. (please do the later) By doing it this way, you again have to choose between using resources (in this case trees) for their traditional purposes or fueling your magic. It would certainly make farming more interesting.

Speaking of, if it is at all possible, I'd like to see some of the vanilla farm ingredients be used as well. Much like the fully grown trees in the wild. It fits thee magical theme becausue "alchemy" and also gives new uses to old items. Cars could be another great source of essence. Maybe "shock"?

The last thing I could suggest, and I have no idea if this is possible or not, but make the vomit an essence as well. If you can grab it out of the air by activating it, you can turn it into something. I think it would make for a great defensive move, as well as give new ways to farm zombies. I wouldn't turn it into anything powerful. Perhaps turn it directly into HP? Don't even bottle it or people will stock up on them en masse, unless these "healing potionis" have a balanced downside. Then, by all means.

But essentially, (ha) the game already grindy enough in places. Objectively speaking. I wouldn't want an additional "chore" on top of it. I want essence gathering to be natural. Something I can do as I go, and not another farm/mine/etc. that I need to juggle. It it's slowing me down from blowing stuff up, I won't use it.

Please, and thank you.

It does sound quite fitting, doesn't it?

You just wanna let your evil side loose! :rapture:

Well my own lore (i apply on nearly every game since years)

is that i am a wanderer of worlds. Resulting in a really long time traveling with many many options.

Including divinely ordained control of time (or like most people will say time magic) and ice magic.

So no blood magic for myself, but i know some guys and girls who use it smilie_devil_070.gif

I would like to be able to transmute corpses as a way to get some essence. Especially if it was based on the corpse in question. Burnt zombies give fire, Lumberjacks give ice, and animals give a generic one that can be used for anything.

I thought about and like the biome-specific entity essence extraction too, whether it be a corpse OR we could extract while they're alive... that could be fun, no? :rapture:

Regarding the Essence Tree and hacking it with an axe... unfortunately, I agree with you that it feels off.

Was an attempt to tap into all mining systems, but we'll just keep the lumberjack activity isolated to the biome and planted trees. I'll put more thought into the Essence Ritual, as they're intended to be the "holy ♥♥♥♥ I can't wait to do this!" deal.

I'll implement corpse essence harvesting now (choose animal mats or essence) and possibly "living entity" essence extraction.

Also, the mentioned farming... absolutely. Either planting Essence directly, or crafting seeds from found/combo essence (feedback here would help).

Edited by Devrix (see edit history)

earth magic could be more of a supplemental magic. no combat at all, but healing, mining or digging, and crop growing. a completely noncombat branch.

use earth magic to farm essence?

Good ideas with the non-combat branch. Healing is making it in multiple forms, for sure.

looks awesome! i want dis in my life :)

i would really love a blink (short self teleport) spell

also becoming a necromancer is an obvious magic shool choice :) maybe even playable on a phone? :D

Been contemplating a teleport spell... we'll probably sneak it in.

Necromancy will probably be tied in with Dark/Blood/Poison when we get there.

...should we scrap Sorcery and make a mobile version instead, or leave it to "Immortal"? :rapture:

What about Elemenetal "Stations"? Basically, alters or workstations that provide a benefit to those who use them? There could be some basic features anyone could use, and some advanced features only masters could use. If you wanted to flesh it out.

The Earth Station could be the previously mentioned "Teleport." So you could basically erect a teleporter for the team, ala TF2. Ice/Fire stations could erect ice walls/burning campfires in front of them, helping to provide defenses, and Lightning could provide heatless light. They can be picked up and moved, if need be, and you (the author) can decide if their walls break down after the station is removed or not based on how you want to balance things.

To make the ice walls, have the station spawn a block with the propereties of a growing plant. Then make 3: Ice 1; Ice 2; Ice 3. With Ice 3 being a non-growing block. There were mods that did similar things in Alpha 16. (15?)

I'd also like to see defensive and utility features to each element. Games are quick to make offensive options, but no one things to make defense or utilities. Like Earth/Ice making stairs or blockades, temporary armor, or slowdown effects on enemies. Or the Fire role allowing campfires to burn longer for the same amount of fuel. Maybe Fire/Ice could make torches that don't give off as much heat, or Fire could make one that gives off a LOT of heat for farming or base raiding. Weather changes also comes to mind, as well as how many berries you can pick and/or whether or not they make you sick.

I could go on and on, but I don't want to daunt you. Just keep up the great work.

What about Elemenetal "Stations"? Basically, alters or workstations that provide a benefit to those who use them? There could be some basic features anyone could use, and some advanced features only masters could use. If you wanted to flesh it out.

The Earth Station could be the previously mentioned "Teleport." So you could basically erect a teleporter for the team, ala TF2. Ice/Fire stations could erect ice walls/burning campfires in front of them, helping to provide defenses, and Lightning could provide heatless light. They can be picked up and moved, if need be, and you (the author) can decide if their walls break down after the station is removed or not based on how you want to balance things.

To make the ice walls, have the station spawn a block with the propereties of a growing plant. Then make 3: Ice 1; Ice 2; Ice 3. With Ice 3 being a non-growing block. There were mods that did similar things in Alpha 16. (15?)

I'd also like to see defensive and utility features to each element. Games are quick to make offensive options, but no one things to make defense or utilities. Like Earth/Ice making stairs or blockades, temporary armor, or slowdown effects on enemies. Or the Fire role allowing campfires to burn longer for the same amount of fuel. Maybe Fire/Ice could make torches that don't give off as much heat, or Fire could make one that gives off a LOT of heat for farming or base raiding. Weather changes also comes to mind, as well as how many berries you can pick and/or whether or not they make you sick.

I could go on and on, but I don't want to daunt you. Just keep up the great work.

resistances. fire tree makes you resistant to burning and heat, ice makes you resistant to cold?

What about Elemenetal "Stations"? Basically, alters or workstations that provide a benefit to those who use them? There could be some basic features anyone could use, and some advanced features only masters could use.

Stations are definitely a planned necessity in the form of "Spellcrafting Alters" where you'll have to craft your spells and will be able to augment them (governed by your mastery). I like the direction of co-op/teamplay you're taking it. As will bullets, we must govern creation and augmentation.

I'd also like to see defensive and utility features to each element. Games are quick to make offensive options, but no one things to make defense or utilities. Like Earth/Ice making stairs or blockades, temporary armor, or slowdown effects on enemies.

Agreed. So far: we have minor mending and cauterization for the Fire Spellcast, then Ice Shield for the Ice Spellcast (working on this atm). We'll keep expanding on this and branch it out as you're suggesting.

resistances. fire tree makes you resistant to burning and heat, ice makes you resistant to cold?

TFP appears to be working on full implementation of elements and damage types behind the scenes... this will go perfectly.

Another absolute planned feature, which will resonate with what you've been suggesting @Tristam, are elemental traps that'll consume/run on Essence. These will be capable of all sorts of awesomeness, including what you've mentioned.

Absolute goal right now, which is going great, is getting the core features and playability to you guys (and myself) so we can enjoy, test, balance then build from there. We don't wanna get too far ahead of ourselves before balancing and optimizing the core. A LOT of sexiness is planned though... that I promise. :rapture:

Quick Update:

Elemental Conjures (spellcrafting and sorcery stations) are now implemented and fully functional with custom model, animation and sound. These altars, or "Conjures", are used to craft spells and other major sorceries. You perform the ritual using none other than Essence. In turn, the ritual will store the essence you've fed it for crafting (similar, but not identical, to a forge).

Progressive rarities of Essence provide progressive levels of the element you're crafting with. (ex: Dormant Essence = Fire, Core Essence = Fire2, Primal Essence = Fire 3)

Edited by Devrix
name change (see edit history)

• Devrix changed the title to 🧙 Sorcery Mod - A21.2 Stable LIVE! (v1.94)
  • Devrix changed the title to 🧙 Sorcery Mod - Massive Update v1.42 PUBLIC!