🧙 Sorcery Mod - A21.2 Stable LIVE! (v1.94)

Devrix

I notice a curious thing.

While playing vanilla + Sorcery, i looted at last 10+ artefact chest at the sorcerer trader and allways got an axe.

Now tried my luck with DF + Sorcery, and after just 4 chests i don't got any axe ! 🙂

For the developer (also posted on the mod's main page as a comment):

This is an EXCELLENT mod. However, there is 1 HUUUUUUGE bug with it that you might hit:

If you do not notice the basement for the Altin's chest quest and continue playing, the quest will eventually fail. The quest can not be cancelled or picked up again, it will stay in your log as a failed quest.

This means you do not get your initial start on the whole player side of the sorcery mod: Picking a specialization, follow up quests and free workstations.

Instead, it means that you will have to - very very slowly - attempt to gather materials for the workstations. And even when you get to craft them, you will not be able to use them, as most recipes require perks in the specialization trees which you can not level up in yet.

Not until you find a random lucky elixir of one of the 3 elements will you be able to progress somewhat normally with the player side of the mod.

As an example, i am currently playing a game with only this mod, and i missed the initial quest and as such got this issue. It was not until during horde day 28 that i found my first elixir. The random fallen (as well as the tasks) can be VERY challenging without the initial start. While i have had fun with this as an extra challenge, it is certainly not for everyone.

So until this bug is fixed (or you start over if the first quest fails), keep this in mind.

I posted this on the DISCORD too:

I am getting several errors when starting up the dedicated server for this: (I am running Darkness Falls, and Sorcerery)

2022-04-23 23:18:15 WRN XML patch for "items.xml" from mod "Sorcery" did not apply: <append xpath="/items/item[@name='drinkJarFullRespecAdmin']/effect_group" (line 10418 at pos 3) 2022-04-23 23:18:15 WRN XML patch for "items.xml" from mod "Sorcery" did not apply: <append xpath="/items/item[@name='drinkJarGrandpasForgettingElixir']" (line 10434 at pos 3)

Compatibility Patch warnings:

2022-04-24 00:49:15 WRN XML patch for "items.xml" from mod "zzDF_Sorcery_Compat" did not apply: <set xpath="/items/item[@name='spellcastFire' or @name='spellcastIce' or @name='spellcastLightning']/effect_group[@name='QUALITY: Tier 6 Master']/requirement[@name='RequirementItemTier']/@value" (line 73 at pos 3)

Amongst other warnings about certain things not being applied.  Is there a certain load order I need to do? (I have the Sorcery mod, Darkness Falls, and the Compatibility patch.)

I also have a few weird things as well:

1.  The Arcane vendor's POI can be damaged

2.  I can grab items from other players hands, as well as NPC's int he middle of battle.  Like if a sorcerer is attacking me, I can pull an item it is holding. 

Edited by nafeasonto (see edit history)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was considering this mod for my server and started seeing words like "supporter only" and @%$# like that... Is there actually supporter only features in this mod? I did read that everything can be obtained for free but does that mean if you pay it makes it easier or gives you items? I'm honesty shocked at the whole aspect of this lol. 

Yes, supporter have unlimited access to build/craft some endtier items.

But with some luck you can find a supporter silver/gold key which unlocks these abilities for you for some hours.

And ofcouse you still can loot and use these craftable items.

1 hour ago, ScubaSteve3465 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was considering this mod for my server and started seeing words like "supporter only" and @%$# like that... Is there actually supporter only features in this mod? I did read that everything can be obtained for free but does that mean if you pay it makes it easier or gives you items? I'm honesty shocked at the whole aspect of this lol. 

Play the mod and you'll loot an in-game item (supporter key consumable) that opens all recipes and "exclusives". Anything locked until that point is intended to slow progression. The key can be looted or earned as a quest reward. Fallen and Feaster Bunny have good drop rates.

How rare are the supporter keys? Do you plan on adding more stuff like spell swords for the elements? Will holy and Unholy feature their own spells that can be chosen at the beginning like the main trio? Or will holy and unholy act as their own late game catagory of advanced magic that is stronger than the others?
Anyways, i do like the mod, and i especially like the feaster bunnys. If you could make a modlet that adds them in more permanently, that would be nice.

Just now, CertainWords said:

How rare are the supporter keys? Do you plan on adding more stuff like spell swords for the elements? Will holy and Unholy feature their own spells that can be chosen at the beginning like the main trio? Or will holy and unholy act as their own late game catagory of advanced magic that is stronger than the others?
Anyways, i do like the mod, and i especially like the feaster bunnys. If you could make a modlet that adds them in more permanently, that would be nice.

sorry for the question flood, its just been on my mind and i would like to see your response. Keep up the good work!

17 hours ago, CertainWords said:

How rare are the supporter keys?

I'm on day 55 and i haven't seen any. Yet.

That said, i had the issue of missing the initial "place" for the starting quest, so the first 28 days i played without anything sorcery related going for me, and all of the sorcery related going against me :D

I'm only just now "finishing up" the sorcery quests, or at least some of them, which means i'm getting into some of the power i need.

On 4/26/2022 at 10:10 PM, Devrix said:

The key can be looted or earned as a quest reward. Fallen and Feaster Bunny have good drop rates

As above, i haven't killed nearly as many fallen yet as i wanted to due to being behind in actual sorcery power, but slowly catching up. That said, i have killed quite a lot of bunnys, including 3-4 feasters (oh boy, they can take a lot of beatings!). Haven't found anything special on them yet.

Still though, i am very much enjoying the mod, and still learning its intricacies. I must admit however, that i have more than once mistakenly made X power/extract/essence/similar just to realize it was a different kind i actually needed. I do think a little standardization (or better conversion between them) would help here. But again, it could just be me having a case of L2Read :D

Edit:

I forgot to mention, since i missed that initial quest boost (which i would call a bug!), i haven't really had any need for those keys either as there is plenty of content for me yet to unlock and play with in a regular progression fashion. Which is challenging for sure, but also very refreshing.

If i had to mention anything at all that grinds my gears (sometimes), is that the fallen occasionally seem to have the ability to oneshot me, while i still need to take a lot of shots at them - be it with sorcery or f ex tier 6 pipe machine gun (which currently actually works better since i am still catching up). The occasional oneshots from a fallen i haven't noticed does feel quite unfair from a protagonist viewpoint. Maybe there is some resist runes or something i haven't discovered yet?

Edited by OndeTv (see edit history)

18 hours ago, CertainWords said:

sorry for the question flood, its just been on my mind and i would like to see your response. Keep up the good work!

• The Keys are about as rare as Skill Grimoires but can also be as common as Elixirs. As mentioned earlier, go for Event Loot, Arcane Quests, Fallen Loot, Fallen Camps, etc. for best chances.
  • Arcane and Unholy bunnies were voted to remain permanent as rare spawns, beyond the Event. Summon Arcane Bunny Incantation (Permanent Spell) is also coming.
  • Unholy and Holy are planned to be special, more powerful, only obtainable through exclusive Quests.
On 4/23/2022 at 8:49 AM, OndeTv said:

For the developer (also posted on the mod's main page as a comment):

This is an EXCELLENT mod. However, there is 1 HUUUUUUGE bug with it that you might hit:

If you do not notice the basement for the Altin's chest quest and continue playing, the quest will eventually fail. The quest can not be cancelled or picked up again, it will stay in your log as a failed quest.

This means you do not get your initial start on the whole player side of the sorcery mod: Picking a specialization, follow up quests and free workstations.

Instead, it means that you will have to - very very slowly - attempt to gather materials for the workstations. And even when you get to craft them, you will not be able to use them, as most recipes require perks in the specialization trees which you can not level up in yet.

Not until you find a random lucky elixir of one of the 3 elements will you be able to progress somewhat normally with the player side of the mod.

As an example, i am currently playing a game with only this mod, and i missed the initial quest and as such got this issue. It was not until during horde day 28 that i found my first elixir. The random fallen (as well as the tasks) can be VERY challenging without the initial start. While i have had fun with this as an extra challenge, it is certainly not for everyone.

So until this bug is fixed (or you start over if the first quest fails), keep this in mind.

This is definitely not a bug but a potential player oversight. It's one of the reasons you are given the Sorcery Intro Quest right away when creating a new character. Unfortunately, there's limitations to how many "failsafes" or warning labels we can put in. Have fun discovering what not to do lol.

27 minutes ago, OndeTv said:

the fallen occasionally seem to have the ability to oneshot me, while i still need to take a lot of shots at them - be it with sorcery or f ex tier 6 pipe machine gun (which currently actually works better since i am still catching up). The occasional oneshots from a fallen i haven't noticed does feel quite unfair from a protagonist viewpoint. Maybe there is some resist runes or something i haven't discovered yet?

There are "Skin Runes" that will help, alongside a couple other Gold Runes. Dragoness Rune is one of them. Also, Silence Scrolls and Rune will prevent their Healing and spawning of Minions. Dodge their attacks is the best strategy.

6 minutes ago, Devrix said:

the Sorcery Intro Quest right away when creating a new character. Unfortunately, there's limitations to how many "failsafes"

However, normally quests can be abandoned and picked up again. This one just auto fails after X amount of time/distance/reload/something (i must admit i do not remember, but i think it was time based), and can not be picked up again. Not something i expected at all, and at that point i was already too far with my planned build to start over :)

3 minutes ago, OndeTv said:

However, normally quests can be abandoned and picked up again. This one just auto fails after X amount of time/distance/reload/something (i must admit i do not remember, but i think it was time based), and can not be picked up again. Not something i expected at all, and at that point i was already too far with my planned build to start over :)

It's likely vanilla behavior of a "started quest" that we'll have little to no control over.

I do not remember any of the vanilla quests (harvest plant fibers, craft a bedroll, put down a bedroll, find a trader etc) failing though. They just stay active in the log until completed (or not).

In the case of Altin, i did find

the basement

eventually (and yes, i should have seen it before i will readily admit that, especially since i was poking at the door right next to it). Now that i think about it, i just went to my quest log to examine further. Here is what i am seeing:

https://imgur.com/a/o0i4jcw

So, "The Awakening" is completed just fine day 1. However, "Find The Arcane Trader" is marked as failed. However, i did go to the rally point. I did search, missed the part about it

being underground, so i didn't even think to look for another entryway

. And as you can see it is marked as failed already on day 2 instead of just being inert until i eventually found what i needed to find (which i did).

I also found

a key in the same room, and expected it to unlock the door next to the basement. But it did not seem to do anything nor register anywhere

34 minutes ago, OndeTv said:

I do not remember any of the vanilla quests (harvest plant fibers, craft a bedroll, put down a bedroll, find a trader etc) failing though. They just stay active in the log until completed (or not).

I also found

Reveal hidden contents

a key in the same room, and expected it to unlock the door next to the basement. But it did not seem to do anything nor register anywhere

• The Arcane Trader is a "POI" not a simple harvest quest.
  • It's a secret... gotta figure it out! ;)

15 hours ago, Devrix said:

The Arcane Trader is a "POI" not a simple harvest quest.

This doesn't change the fact that it failed for no reason other than time, without telling the player that it would do so. Furthermore, this quest is not completable after it fails, and impacts the whole way the mod plays ;) 

15 hours ago, Devrix said:

It's a secret... gotta figure it out! ;)

I figured it out, and i have to say given the nature of the POI (behaving like a trader POI), i think this secret should have a different solution. That said, solving/discovering it had no impact on my gameplay either (all in all i got a minor useful recipe and that was it) so i guess that speaks for it being of unorthodox nature.

Any mod that adds in supporter only features and penalizes everyone who doesn't pay is just down right greedy and ridiculous. I was really excited to use this on my server but refuse to have pay only features on it. Honestly I wouldn't have any problems donating a few dollars but when a dev goes about it like this then hell no. I'm sure there will be excuses like "I worked hard shouldn't I get paid" all the other modders work hard too and if they need funds the put a donation link up and ask for them politely, not locking things in your mod. 

31 minutes ago, ScubaSteve3465 said:

Any mod that adds in supporter only features and penalizes everyone who doesn't pay is just down right greedy and ridiculous. I was really excited to use this on my server but refuse to have pay only features on it. Honestly I wouldn't have any problems donating a few dollars but when a dev goes about it like this then hell no. I'm sure there will be excuses like "I worked hard shouldn't I get paid" all the other modders work hard too and if they need funds the put a donation link up and ask for them politely, not locking things in your mod. 

As stated already, Sorcery is 100% free to play. Support is not required for any aspect of the mod. Nor are you required to use the mod. Just like @%$#s, we all have opinions.

DISCLAIMER

The Sorcery Mod is, and will always be, 100% FREE. When you choose to Support Development, you are supporting the unique individual work I (Devrix) personally do outside of the game, as a content creator: The creation of unique VFX, SFX, Art, Time creating content and the services/interaction I provide here, Discord and other places. You are not supporting "derivative work of 7 Days to Die" (AKA modding code/changing skins/etc). That is against TFP policy.

Support Not Required: Those unwilling, or unable, to support development can obtain in-game items 100% FREE. You are not required to support in order to obtain in-game items. Non-supporters are able to obtain any "In-Game Supporter Exclusives" 100% FREE, without supporting development. The free Supporter Key item can be obtained through Loot and Quest Rewards. However, I cannot continue development of Sorcery at this level without Ongoing Support. If support drops below a threshold, development halts. The large amount of time allotted to development is made possible through the generous support given by our Patreon Supporters.
--All rights reserved.
--Disclaimer subject to ongoing changes.

17 hours ago, Devrix said:

The Keys are about as rare as Skill Grimoires but can also be as common as Elixirs. As mentioned earlier, go for Event Loot, Arcane Quests, Fallen Loot, Fallen Camps, etc. for best chances.

The keys are more rare then the grimoires, I found alot of grimoires but only 1 key so far.

But from my view are, keys are nice if you can get a hand on it, but it isn't anything you NEED to have. You can play very well without them.

Some runes like silence,deeper pocket,youth  are not that rare. Special the loot chest from the fallen camps got good chances (i think the lucky looter helps too).

And if Patreon won't use so many 3.party scripts, i even would support him for a while.

18 hours ago, OndeTv said:

That said, i had the issue of missing the initial "place" for the starting quest, so the first 28 days i played without anything sorcery related going for me, and all of the sorcery related going against me :D

Since you need to generate a new random world that kann happen.

I made one too, just got a single sorcery trader, 2 regular traders on the 6k map.

Like when you generate a randowm world for Darkness Falls, you should check if all story relevant POI are there.

But i started now many new world (trying to play hardcore, so dead mean dead), and never happen myself. The portal that appear allways drop my to a sorcery trader.

17 hours ago, OndeTv said:

This one just auto fails after X amount of time/distance/reload/something

1 hour ago, OndeTv said:

This doesn't change the fact that it failed for no reason other than time

When you get a gather supply quest from a regular trader, and you leave the POI, it fails too. And you can't get these quest again.

It is basicly the same thing. That you miss the basement, and i think the compas show you the location of the thing you need to pickup too, which point you to the basement too.

And the BIG cellar door behind isn't realy a secret, there are other (more deadlly) secrets.

Edited by Canute (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, Canute said:

When you get a gather supply quest from a regular trader, and you leave the POI, it fails too. And you can't get these quest again.

- you can, just not that day. They will regenerate randomly each day.

This is not the case for the Sorcery mod, where this quest is a one-time thing, and if it fails that is that.

As i have already stated, i have had fun playing so far without the initial boost of picking an element and getting free crafting stations. However, it has also been very challenging to say the least.

The only reason i mention this specifically, is that i would think it is in the devs best interest to not risk players who do NOT want that extra (and unintended) challenge like i have had to abandon play of the mod (and thus potential income from support).

6 minutes ago, OndeTv said:

- you can, just not that day. They will regenerate randomly each day.

No, it is a similar quest, but not the same.

You can compare them with the Open trade route quests. Ok you can't fail them but you can delete them.

But that the different between mods and vanilla.

I played with friends Darkness falls, and one of the friends deleted his class quest. It was a hard fight for me as newbie server admin to get the knowledge how to give him the quest back.

8 minutes ago, OndeTv said:

This is not the case for the Sorcery mod, where this quest is a one-time thing, and if it fails that is that.

As i have already stated, i have had fun playing so far without the initial boost of picking an element and getting free crafting stations. However, it has also been very challenging to say the least.

Yep i bet.

Compared to DF + Sorcery, when the sorcery trader isn't protected, and you can loot the whole shop, and harvest the essence tree's outside, it is a challenging start and you need to concentrate on regular gameplay until you find a skill potion and start the training.

6 minutes ago, Canute said:

No, it is a similar quest, but not the same.

This is true. But for the player that (technical) difference is not important unlike with the starting quest in the Sorcery mod ;)

6 minutes ago, Canute said:

concentrate on regular gameplay until you find a skill potion and start the training.

Yep. Not only that, you need to spend most of the sorcery resources towards making the workbenches that you would otherwise get for free with that quest.

Luckily i have over 900 hours in 7DtD, so extra challenge on top of the regular alphaXX+1 additions is welcome to me. But it has for sure been the most challenging play i have had to date so far :)

Edited by OndeTv
was going to write close to 1000 hours but decided against it. My sentences got mixed, hence the correction :) (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, OndeTv said:

This is true. But for the player that (technical) difference is not important unlike with the starting quest in the Sorcery mod ;)

Yep. Not only that, you need to spend most of the sorcery resources towards making the workbenches that you would otherwise get for free with that quest.

Luckily i have over 900 hours in 7DtD, so extra challenge on top of the regular alphaXX+1 additions is welcome to me. But it has for sure been the most challenging play i have had to date so far :)

Check out the different Sorcery Difficulty Modes, if you haven't already: http://modes.sorcerymod.com/

I have already, and normal is plenty challenging for now as i am still behind haha. Mostly because i can get one- or twoshot by fallen i haven't noticed. The rest is "business as usual". Once i learn the ins and outs of the mod and its progression - and should that prove to make the fallen trivial - who knows. Then i might bump up the difficulty :D

2 hours ago, Devrix said:

As stated already, Sorcery is 100% free to play. Support is not required for any aspect of the mod. Nor are you required to use the mod. Just like @%$#s, we all have opinions.

Except you Gate certain items behind a supporter wall. It also seems like multiple people in this thread have been playing Hours and Hours not finding this "premium" item, but wait just pay the Dev and skip all the headache. Great mod bad practices. Adding micro transactions to a mod is just dumb. I really hope in the future you remove that dumb crab and let people donate if they enjoy the mod not force people to donate if they don't want to do your forced grind for a premium item. 

Edit: I believe I was able to rip out all the supporter junk, I'll test and report back. PM if you want a tutorial but I will not upload it against the devs wishes. 

Edited by ScubaSteve3465 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, ScubaSteve3465 said:

Except you Gate certain items behind a supporter wall. It also seems like multiple people in this thread have been playing Hours and Hours not finding this "premium" item, but wait just pay the Dev and skip all the headache. Great mod bad practices. Adding micro transactions to a mod is just dumb. I really hope in the future you remove that dumb crab and let people donate if they enjoy the mod not force people to donate if they don't want to do your forced grind for a premium item. 

Drop the salty, ignorant, attitude already. The mod is designed to pace your progression, not create everything on Day 1 and burn out. Omni Blood (requires Ritual Station) is considered a high-level end-game crafting reagent. Yes, it is intentionally gated behind RNG. If you don't like that, don't use the mod. Period.

2 hours ago, OndeTv said:

I have already, and normal is plenty challenging for now as i am still behind haha. Mostly because i can get one- or twoshot by fallen i haven't noticed. The rest is "business as usual". Once i learn the ins and outs of the mod and its progression - and should that prove to make the fallen trivial - who knows. Then i might bump up the difficulty :D

I was recommending the Easy Mode until learning the mod better. No shame in that. 😉

6 minutes ago, Devrix said:

I was recommending the Easy Mode until learning the mod better. No shame in that. 😉

Nah, i just gotta learn to dodge better until i can craft resists or otherwise get my damage mitigation up without just going old school (i like my full lightning armor set too much).

The main problem really is that - especially while spellcast zooming across the land - that fallen instantly perfect aim casts at you. While that is normally fine, if you zoomed past one too fast for you to notice (or for the game to render), they will already have a fireballs/ice darts/lightnings in the air in your direction even though where you stop (zooming) you don't see or is anywhere near that fallen itself. This particular "feature" has gotten me killed quite a few times.

I do think that upon initial agro, they ought to wait a few seconds, then recheck if range is valid, and if it is, then cast. Currently it seems that their projectiles travel longer (and possibly faster?) than they should in these particular scenarios.

In cases where i do fallen tasks and just fail to dodge properly (or am too slow getting my health back up after handling x familiars), it is entirely my own fault and i just need to GIT GUDDER haha.

Oh, while i am writing again... The Spell Light aura. I LOVE IT. This one will be sorely missed next time i play 7dtd without sorcery hahaha. Very addicting :D

• Devrix changed the title to 🧙 Sorcery Mod - A21.2 Stable LIVE! (v1.94)
  • Devrix changed the title to 🧙 Sorcery Mod - Massive Update v1.42 PUBLIC!