Help with getting a new model in game

bdubyah

I have been fiddling around trying to kind of learn some 3d modeling and stuff, and made a new turret. I basically wanna make a new Auto Turret. So I imported the Auto Turret prefab into Unity and tried to copy the layout of it for mine. Never used Unity before so it's been a bit overwhelming.

The only real differences I have is I haven't made the LODs(just have the main model and that's it) and where the auto turret has the gun model for Pitch and the little piece below it for Rotate, I just have the Base and then the gun model for Pitch. I still have the hierarchy setup with Rotate and Pitch, but I just copied the main gun mesh for the other LODs, and the child objects under Rotate are just empties. I applied the texture I made for the base and am using the blunderbuss as my gun on the turret. I have its mesh and texture included in the prefab.

So, what am I doing wrong here? I have it all coded and surprisingly it actually seems to load up fine. I have the recipe and progression stuff working in the little modlet I made. It shows in game and I can craft it or spawn it in, but when I place it, this is what it looks like: pTDR9O4.png

This is the Unity layout: MBaJWWt.png

Hmm. Seems like tags are something I've screwed up aka not used at all. Haha. Is there any info on which tags are needed for specific objects? I know T_Mesh_B is needed to pick things up, but electrical objects need certain other ones, right? It would be nice if imported assets in Unity kept their tags. I could just reference the vanilla auto turret.

Looks like your starting out with a very complex project, and so lots of things can go wrong. It's hard to say what exactly went wrong in this case without knowing what specifically you did or didn't do. Copying then modifying vanilla prefabs that contain animation components is very difficult, especially when your using the vanilla classes on them.

Yeah...haha. I did move the collider to what I think is the correct spot now. I can interact with the turret, add ammo, select targets, and wire it up to power. But it's missing the camera preview area, and it doesn't actually activate and shoot at things. And of course, it still is just a shadow. Lol.

Is there any way to import the vanilla turret where it retains everything? Opening the AutoTurretprefab in Unity doesn't have colliders, tags, etc.

Well, I just watched D2D's vehicle tutorial. I figured that was something more complex so maybe I could learn from it. I noticed he did almost everything in Blender first and just tweaked/added a few things in Unity.

Also made me realize the prefabs AssetStudio pulls are fbx. Opened it in Blender to study it. Maybe I'll learn something. Lol. Thanks for your input!

Well, I just watched D2D's vehicle tutorial. I figured that was something more complex so maybe I could learn from it. I noticed he did almost everything in Blender first and just tweaked/added a few things in Unity.

Also made me realize the prefabs AssetStudio pulls are fbx. Opened it in Blender to study it. Maybe I'll learn something. Lol. Thanks for your input!

It will pull a fbx, but it is in ASCII format.

You will need to convert it to binary to use in blender.

https://www.autodesk.com/developer-network/platform-technologies/fbx-converter-archives

Use Autodesk FBX convertor to perform conversion to binary ;)

Well, I had already opened the fbx AssetStudio extracted for the AutoTurretPrefab in Blender. Tried to replicate the bones and stuff, but I just have no idea what I'm doing. Haha. Gotta keep working at it I suppose. No idea how to get the camera part working and stuff.

I downloaded the converter and converted it to binary, but it seemed the same in Blender.

Archived