(SPOILER) A17.1 B9 - Mining - Things... Seem Changed (with screen shots)

Jackelmyer

I have the axe in slot 1 now ALRIGHT! *cries*. Why do they always judge me by my belt!

Lol

Noooo! You had it right before Jack! Primary Defense -ALWAYS- in Slot 1 !!!! Then Primary Ranged in Slot 2. This is a zombie APOLOCLYPSE! We must be ever on heightened alert, ready for the evil zeds to try and take a bite!

Plus, really, all you have to do is look at those poor shambling souls... -lots- of them have some worthless tool hanging from their belts... :D

(kidding of course, especially now that the fireaxe is a really decent melee weapon, but couldn't resist :D )

Just make sure to mine 10-15 blocks above bedrock if you want to find iron ore. it just doesn't exist directly at bedrock anymore.

Actually, it's closer to the surface from what I've seen.

Also, have to disable showing the ores in order to mine them.

Interesting bit: the "Loot Street" box shatters like glass, and I think that gives silver/gold/diamond (I got some silver that way)

Actually, it's closer to the surface from what I've seen.

Also, have to disable showing the ores in order to mine them.

Interesting bit: the "Loot Street" box shatters like glass, and I think that gives silver/gold/diamond (I got some silver that way)

The main Iron Ore deposits are closer to the surface yes.

However at bedrock you'll run into some biome specific veins. On top of those veins is a slab of iron ore deposits, roughly +15 height.

But yes, the major iron ore veins are within the top 20-30 blocks.

Checking gravel throughout all biomes i came to the conclusion that it's the easiest to find iron veins and other ores happen every 5-10 gravel patches (in Forest there are some bigger lead veins that span a few close by gravel patches, but they are rare). Desert doesn't show gravel patches, so you can't really tell by them what is underground and it would be most useful due to desert having Oil Shale deposits.

I found info somewhere that Boulders also show what lies below and destroying a few all around i got varied results. Mostly i had Raw Iron with bigger quantites, but sometimes it was Lead or Coal. This means that resources from them are not constant and may serve to determine the dominant vein underground. Can anyone elaborate on the subject of Boulders?

My results of checking gravel patches (taken from the Biome page in the Wiki that i updated):

Desert: No gravel patches to determine, but Oil Shale is present only in the desert and deep underground

Forest: Iron Ore, Lead Ore, Lump of Coal

Burnt: Iron Ore, Lead Ore, Nitrate Powder, Lump of Coal

Snowy: Iron Ore, Lead Ore

Wasteland: Iron Ore, Nitrate Powder

Checking gravel throughout all biomes i came to the conclusion that it's the easiest to find iron veins and other ores happen every 5-10 gravel patches (in Forest there are some bigger lead veins that span a few close by gravel patches, but they are rare). Desert doesn't show gravel patches, so you can't really tell by them what is underground and it would be most useful due to desert having Oil Shale deposits.

I found info somewhere that Boulders also show what lies below and destroying a few all around i got varied results. Mostly i had Raw Iron with bigger quantites, but sometimes it was Lead or Coal. This means that resources from them are not constant and may serve to determine the dominant vein underground. Can anyone elaborate on the subject of Boulders?

My results of checking gravel patches (taken from the Biome page in the Wiki that i updated):

Desert: No gravel patches to determine, but Oil Shale is present only in the desert and deep underground

Forest: Iron Ore, Lead Ore, Lump of Coal

Burnt: Iron Ore, Lead Ore, Nitrate Powder, Lump of Coal

Snowy: Iron Ore, Lead Ore

Wasteland: Iron Ore, Nitrate Powder

In the desert there's no visible gravel patches. But they're still there. Dig around boulders and you'll find them.

Well i did get some Raw Iron when digging up around boulders, but considering you can't distinguish them from regular sand blocks and gravel patches can be anywhere not only near boulders, it's fruitless to look for them in the desert.

Which is a shame, because i think the desert is one of the more interesting biomes.

Well i did get some Raw Iron when digging up around boulders, but considering you can't distinguish them from regular sand blocks and gravel patches can be anywhere not only near boulders, it's fruitless to look for them in the desert.

Which is a shame, because i think the desert is one of the more interesting biomes.

By mid game depending how you skill up, you can one shot desert blocks with a shovel. So it's still pretty easy to find the gravel poking around.

I'm just not a fan of digging topside as either you get trapped in a far to narrow space by zombies falling on your head or you have to over dig the area constantly to setup escape routes. Or do large side digs. Which... I'm also not fond of on the surface.

With recent update gravel patches are visible in the desert, so this problem is void now.

Getting into a conclusion that gravel patches show the dominant ore, where boulders show more detailed info. For example:

- When degrading the boulder down 1 level (destroying 1 set of its hp) you get 14 coal, 7 lead and 7 raw iron, there's a lot more coal, but there is also lead and iron underneath.

- When degrading the boulder down 1 level you get 14 raw iron, 7 lead and 7 nitrate, you get mostly iron underneath, but can find a little lead and nitrate.

- etc.

Would be good if someone tested this by digging down under appropriately checked boulders.

Archived