3 game flaws that maybe should be rectified

Iirlyaccess

met with developers who shrug it off and say its too much work to bother with.

When did this happen? Can you point to the "shrugging it off" event?

Even if they have to tear down the entire game and start fresh, I say do it. A good foundation is the most important part of a multiplayer sandbox game like this.

I say finish this game and make sure to have shared containers for sure from the beginning for the next game. This one is almost done.

Rust has alot of static pieces 7D2D has none

Technically, the only static items Rust has is the terrain, bushes and point of interest buildings. But, I still don't understand why a game with fully interactable world(like minecraft) can't also include shared storage(like minecraft).

Am I the only one that doesn't want people in my boxes lol. I'll unlock it for a moment if I want you in it.

If I'm understanding the topic correct it's not about restricting access to your box, it's about two people looking inside the same UNLOCKED box at the same time. Right now that is not possible.

Or I could be misunderstanding the discussion.

Technically, the only static items Rust has is the terrain, bushes and point of interest buildings. But, I still don't understand why a game with fully interactable world(like minecraft) can't also include shared storage(like minecraft).

If you admit that you don't understand, why are you leveling accusations instead of asking questions?

If I'm understanding the topic correct it's not about restricting access to your box, it's about two people looking inside the same UNLOCKED box at the same time. Right now that is not possible.

Or I could be misunderstanding the discussion.

I agree that is the topic of discussion, but by not allowing people into my box in the first place the discussion becomes irrelevant.

When did this happen? Can you point to the "shrugging it off" event?

I say finish this game and make sure to have shared containers for sure from the beginning for the next game. This one is almost done.

I was going off of what was posted in this thread....

MM stated short after A16 that a real fix would force them to write a huge part of the game from scratch.

The ability to look with more than one person in a crate is not worth so much work

I have also seen quotes from developers who say stuff like "I could do X but I'm prioritizing Y or Z". To me they are shrugging off the need for shared storage because it's not worth their time, am I wrong?

If you admit that you don't understand, why are you leveling accusations instead of asking questions?

Have you played Minecraft Roland? It's an entirely editable world, with shared storage containers. The post I replied to was implying that because Rust utilizes some static items, that's the reason it can pull off shared storage. But because 7DTD has an entirely editable world, the lag would be bad. My not understanding, is how it can work so well for minecraft and rust, but suddenly it's going to hog all the bandwidth when it comes to this specific game.

I am not leveling accusations, I am simply voicing my dislike of the situation from my perspective. I know you have some preconceived notion that I am only here to burn this game to the ground via lies and talking bad about it, but in reality I enjoy a lot of what 7DTD does, therefore I choose to spend some of my time criticizing the parts I dislike, on the official forums, the place where they developers might actually see it. I assure you I am not your enemy.

I have also seen quotes from developers who say stuff like "I could do X but I'm prioritizing Y or Z". To me they are shrugging off the need for shared storage because it's not worth their time, am I wrong?

Is this feature worth over a Million Dollar ?

Is it worth to spare other nice features like bandits ?

You know economics, money is not endless

Is this feature worth over a Million Dollar ?

Is it worth to spare other nice features like bandits ?

You know economics, money is not endless

If I had to make a choice between shared containers or NPC bandits, I'd pick shared containers.

In my opinion this game needs to stop piling more things on top, and start perfecting what is already there.

Sure, the idea of having NPC bandits is intriguing, but looking at literally every other video game in history, I have extremely low expectations as to how much NPC bandits would actually add to the gameplay in 7DTD. To me, it seems like just another annoyance for us to worry about, and not the thrilling experience we might imagine. Why? Because AI in shooters is basically aimbots with pathfinding. Even the most advanced shooting games like Arma or RainbowSix can barely pull off challenging AI, they mostly rely on cheesy aimbotting. How is 7DTD suddenly going to reinvent the wheel when it comes to NPC AI?

I feel the same way with the zombie AI, the time spent developing that is such a huge waste of time and resources in my eyes, and it will likely not amount to anything but annoying gameplay in the end. Who really wants to have to resort to exploiting AI behavior? Because that is the "best" way to win in 7DTD, and the more work they put into the zombie AI, the more that gets solidified. It's to the point where people won't even post their designs on here for fear of it no longer working in the next patch. None of that is my idea of fun gameplay. I want to setup defenses, not setup tricks to exploit the flaws in the AI. Zombies are inherently dumb, that's why zombie games tend to be more immersive and believable than fighting NPC humans, because all AI acts dumb.

Bandits? You mean aimbotting zombies with guns? No thanks, gimme shared storage instead plz.

Besides that only Bandits > Shared Boxes

It means NPC´s too.

And at least at that point you loose 99% of the people that maybe share your meaning

Huh? I don't understand what you're saying.

Bandits are hostile NPCs.... what do you mean when you say "NPC's too"?

Are you saying 99% of 7DTD players really want to see NPC bandits? If so, that figure seems... high.

Huh? I don't understand what you're saying.

Bandits are hostile NPCs.... what do you mean when you say "NPC's too"?

Are you saying 99% of 7DTD players really want to see NPC bandits? If so, that figure seems... high.

No i say that only a few player will prefer shareable boxes over NPC bandits. And because NPC bandits are part of the NPC in general you will loose 99% of that few additional.

See it how ever you want.

The workpower/money is limited. That means all developers need to prioritise content.

And there are not many players that see such a high priority @ Shareable container access

And because NPC bandits are part of the NPC in general you will loose 99% of that few additional.

You're saying without bandits being added that means having no NPCs in general? But we already have NPC traders, NPC animals, & NPC zombies. What general NPCs are you talking about that are reliant on bandits being added?

No i say that only a few player will prefer shareable boxes over NPC bandits. And because NPC bandits are part of the NPC in general you will loose 99% of that few additional.

See it how ever you want.

The workpower/money is limited. That means all developers need to prioritise content.

And there are not many players that see such a high priority @ Shareable container access

This is quite a speculation you are making. I'd 100% rather have shareable containers over Bandits or other NPCS. To explain, I care nothing about Bandits and care a smidge less than nothing for shareable containers so take that for what it's worth.

This is quite a speculation you are making. I'd 100% rather have shareable containers over Bandits or other NPCS. To explain, I care nothing about Bandits and care a smidge less than nothing for shareable containers so take that for what it's worth.

I can agree with this, bandits would be great if they work. My fear is they could easily break the game as we know it as well. Also, for the record, I don't care one bit if I have to wait 5 seconds to get in a box that someone else is in lmao.

Also, for the record, I don't care one bit if I have to wait 5 seconds to get in a box that someone else is in lmao.

Totally. It's a QoL feature; and while QoL features can make the game feel much better, they don't really add much. I say that as somebody who plays with a guy who tools around in containers for minutes at a time when all I want to do is dump a few items into it. Just do something else for a few seconds.

OMG I play with my girlfriend and she loves to look around in the boxes for minutes to see how better to arrange it. I'll be standing there waiting to put stuff away so I can get on with whatever I need to do. It's so annoying, I made boxes we call dump and runs. drop everything in there and sort it later when we aren't both trying to use the boxes. No need to wait just put that crap in the junk box. Or make your very own box that your friends don't have access to and put you stuff in there. You'll never have to wait for it to be available. I would love for us to have shared boxes but it certainly isn't a game breaker.

There are so many other things that I would like to see fixed first. They even have a list of known issues. I don't think this is more important than any of those.

I was going off of what was posted in this thread....

The only thing I disagree with you is the idea that they didn’t give good consideration to the feature before rejecting it. That is the accusation I’m talking about. I agree it would be a cool feature and I’m not against it. I think if it was doable they would do it.

Have you played Minecraft Roland? It's an entirely editable world, with shared storage containers. The post I replied to was implying that because Rust utilizes some static items, that's the reason it can pull off shared storage. But because 7DTD has an entirely editable world, the lag would be bad. My not understanding, is how it can work so well for minecraft and rust, but suddenly it's going to hog all the bandwidth when it comes to this specific game.

I played Minecraft for about two years before it released to gold and then for a few months after that. I played multiplayer with my family and I never had shared containers that I can remember. Maybe this game will be able to follow suit and do it like Minecraft did and implement it well after it goes gold.

I know you have some preconceived notion that I am only here to burn this game to the ground via lies and talking bad about it, but in reality I enjoy a lot of what 7DTD does, therefore I choose to spend some of my time criticizing the parts I dislike, on the official forums, the place where they developers might actually see it. I assure you I am not your enemy.

I do not think of you like that. I understand that you want the feature. I think your expectations of what constitutes reasonable work, time, and money is off. I think they have looked at this seriously and decided it is too expensive to implement in all three of those areas. I disagree that they just shrugged it off as a worthless change. But I do really hope that for sure in their next game they start developing with shared containers in mind.

I can kinda see both sides on this one. On the one hand, my friend spends a long time playing in storage boxes, and sometimes half the time I spend on voice chat with him is asking him to get out of a box so I can put something in it. On the other, ever since we developed a good organizational system (which takes up nothing but space) this has gone down a lot and we can generally put away two maxed-out inventories in a minute or two with minimal fiddling. So while it is a big QoL feature and I love me some QoL features as the mod list of any game I play will show, I think the developer effort to make something that's both dupe-proof (which is harder than it sounds) and persistent is a lot higher than the effort required by the players to simply organize better and could be better spent elsewhere.

If I had to make a choice between shared containers or NPC bandits, I'd pick shared containers.

In my opinion this game needs to stop piling more things on top, and start perfecting what is already there.

U16T8N9.gif

I really think we need shareable containers to share them with bandits NPC. See the compromise ? :D

You sir, are brilliant!

UZKSmYn.gif

Archived