Game feels like its punishing me for levelling up

fishjie

Forget the surface boulders in later game.

Mine Nitrat in Snow biome , you can get 3000-5000 in one night (With a Q5 or Q6 auger modded)

you can get 6k nitrate in the mine in about 4 in-game hours with a Q1 auger to be fair

- - - Updated - - -

Pro tip: in the very very far South there some... I forget the damn name... ugh its some "Valley Tour" building in the desert biome in a reallly deep (grand canyon) valley. Look on the walls -- there are resources among them. Boost up and mine in! I found nitrate, lead, iron, gold, silver in dem thar hills. Also some hidden POIs... It's pretty much in the middle of the bottom-southern region.

You talking about the mine that ends up at the bottom of the Gorge?

you can get 6k nitrate in the mine in about 4 in-game hours with a Q1 auger to be fair

Maybe, since i play Death is Death and collapsing mines are one of my main death reasons my numbers are a bit lower

11DCB273F4A9A29357ED8BF89A26EE2863B09FFA

E6DCB5FE759CD23CD6DFD5370D98920DB8FEB921

My way to mine force me to mine more of the sand/stone. (What not really hurts me i can use tons of them)

i am at day 68 now - 131 skill...

i can craft all at highest level.What i am lacking atm: ammu... Need more nitrite....Buy all ammu from trader - have more money than he has mats/Ammu....

I have a jeep , motorcycle already...

I miss something "Big" - at midlevel as i am in - you can craft everything...

There is not other to do than to max level - but nothing you can wok on like "better armor" , "Better Weapon"

I think that there is much more tuning needed - why i find so easealy guns/ammu für better weapons early in game from scavenging ?

Scaling feels not right for me atm.

i play without cheats - the hardest part for me was finding cooking pot, BEAKER, TOOL and Die set and one more i dont remember atm.

I died soon when spawning in pity land and dont find cooking pot soon ...

If you have luck you have no problem - if unlucky you have no water source nearby and this will kill yoiu on the first days...

The first days depends much on lucky spawn..

After the critical 4 to 5 days the next lucky things are tool and die set....

atm i have nothing i really need except enough ammunition...

At the first days you can clear a huge POI with only bow, club and geht ammu/guns etc from scavenging.

Later pois are infested with "Bulletsponges"...

I would make drops more per lvl -no ammu/guns ect in cars - there can only found "later" in lvl..

Atm i have nothing craftable to work for at lvl 130+ - have no drops i wat for except ammu as i can craft everything.

I like to kill mobs - but must go on 3 days to mine stones for nitrite to get enough ammu for clearing pois, and get enough ammu for hordenight but have nothing to work for as i already can craft all...

I second most of these thoughts. You know what's funny - you'll RARELY hear me ask for nerfs ever in a game, and I hate nerfing things, so I'm gonna choose my words carefully here lol...

But guns seem to drop a lot, and it's no longer satisfying usually unless you find a Q6 one early on. In A16, I know the dev's reasoning behind changing it from gun parts to full guns... but it just seems silly... that now so many guns drop that you start scrapping, selling, or even just unloading it and then dropping it on the ground like trash... The excitement is gone... instead its just "Oh, yet another crappy Q1-3 pistol. Time to scrap it"

And yeah, there is not much interesting things to do in the end-game.

Once you have steel equipment, a jeep/coptor etc etc there is not much else to "do" except just raid random towns until you get bored of that, and of course continue to improve your horde base.

I like the idea posted earlier about being able to clear out a whole town and then colonize it. That would be really interesting and a great end-game time sink.

I second most of these thoughts. You know what's funny - you'll RARELY hear me ask for nerfs ever in a game, and I hate nerfing things, so I'm gonna choose my words carefully here lol...

But guns seem to drop a lot, and it's no longer satisfying usually unless you find a Q6 one early on. In A16, I know the dev's reasoning behind changing it from gun parts to full guns... but it just seems silly... that now so many guns drop that you start scrapping, selling, or even just unloading it and then dropping it on the ground like trash... The excitement is gone... instead its just "Oh, yet another crappy Q1-3 pistol. Time to scrap it"

And yeah, there is not much interesting things to do in the end-game.

Once you have steel equipment, a jeep/coptor etc etc there is not much else to "do" except just raid random towns until you get bored of that, and of course continue to improve your horde base.

I like the idea posted earlier about being able to clear out a whole town and then colonize it. That would be really interesting and a great end-game time sink.

I think it depends a lot on your perspective. I find a lot of Q1 and Q2 guns. I just scrap them and move on. I just found a Q6 Shotgun and was extremely excited. That's 1 Q6 gun out of 100's of crappy guns.

So yeah, you want to be excited by finding a single gun then I agree, they'd need to change the system.

For my view, I'm fine with things as they were because finding that 1 Q6 gun was really awesome. Finding all the other guns are just like finding ammo to me. Which is still awesome and much needed.

I found a Q6 wrench the same day too! Was a good day.

Forget the surface boulders in later game.

Mine Nitrat in Snow biome , you can get 3000-5000 in one night (With a Q5 or Q6 auger modded)

But I can get the same mining boulders for a day, plus I will get the same amount of Coal and Lead and 3 x that amount of Iron at the same time...

and

Mods are meant to be your end game loot now...

So finding a Q6 gun in the first couple of days is exciting? Why, as it's no more or less powerful than the Q1-5? It just lasts a little longer and allows more mods that you don't have and can't make. Repairs are instantaneous and only require items you find in the trash on the road.

In the past finding part of the marksman's rifle was extremely rewarding. They were rare and it was powerful.

It's like someone said earlier you get all the guns by day 4. I throw guns down on the ground now. The hunting rifle is a joke now. It wasn't a joke before. It was good.

Rarity is an issue!

The game feels like it's geared toward punishment rather than reward. Oh you're winning the game by not dying. Well, instead of a reward for surviving (core theme of the game) here is a punishment in the form of higher GS. Where is the reward that offsets the higher GS? You survived 50 days, that's amazing!! Here is some shiny bauble/Quest introduction/whatever that says good job man!

The condition of the GS issue is a direct result of moving from doing a skill levels a skill to kill zombies to raise all skills. If I like to mine I get rewarded with higher mining skill. If I like to kill zombies I get rewarded with higher killing skills. If I like to cook I get rewarded with higher cooking skill. In short I get rewarded for what I like to do rather than I have to do something I may not like to improve what I do like.

That was the niche feature that made this game great. You decided to remove it from the game and your games approval went way down. Doesn't it seem like a good idea to read the negative posts on steam? I have, several hundred of them and this issue is by far the biggest one I see there. Reading the posts of your fanbois isn't going to make the game better, reading the negative posts and correcting the issues will.

I loved this game up until A17. My girlfriend loved this game up until A17. We find it to be very grindy and punishing now. 20+% decrease in approval for your game after changing the skill progression mechanic seems important.

You talking about the mine that ends up at the bottom of the Gorge?

Well, the entire canyon is loaded with resources. It has a tour-shop set up top. Spent one ingame day there and left with like 10 stacks of iron, 9-12 stacks of nitrate, a bunch of lead and some gold/silver nuggets lol.

So finding a Q6 gun in the first couple of days is exciting? Why, as it's no more or less powerful than the Q1-5? It just lasts a little longer and allows more mods that you don't have and can't make. Repairs are instantaneous and only require items you find in the trash on the road.

In the past finding part of the marksman's rifle was extremely rewarding. They were rare and it was powerful.

It's like someone said earlier you get all the guns by day 4. I throw guns down on the ground now. The hunting rifle is a joke now. It wasn't a joke before. It was good.

Rarity is an issue!

The game feels like it's geared toward punishment rather than reward. Oh you're winning the game by not dying. Well, instead of a reward for surviving (core theme of the game) here is a punishment in the form of higher GS. Where is the reward that offsets the higher GS? You survived 50 days, that's amazing!! Here is some shiny bauble/Quest introduction/whatever that says good job man!

The condition of the GS issue is a direct result of moving from doing a skill levels a skill to kill zombies to raise all skills. If I like to mine I get rewarded with higher mining skill. If I like to kill zombies I get rewarded with higher killing skills. If I like to cook I get rewarded with higher cooking skill. In short I get rewarded for what I like to do rather than I have to do something I may not like to improve what I do like.

That was the niche feature that made this game great. You decided to remove it from the game and your games approval went way down. Doesn't it seem like a good idea to read the negative posts on steam? I have, several hundred of them and this issue is by far the biggest one I see there. Reading the posts of your fanbois isn't going to make the game better, reading the negative posts and correcting the issues will.

I loved this game up until A17. My girlfriend loved this game up until A17. We find it to be very grindy and punishing now. 20+% decrease in approval for your game after changing the skill progression mechanic seems important.

Throwing gun on the ground is absolutely ridiculous. Scrap them and get the ammo.

People are too locked into their thinking imo. So you find a ton of Q1 crappy guns. Just consider it finding ammo.

For me it's exciting now when I find something purple. I found a Q6 shotgun and was totally stoked. All guns are not the same. Higher quality has more mod slots.

- - - Updated - - -

Rarity is an issue!

I find enough mods. And I know I have room with I find more mods.

I said it has more slots, but you don't have the mods to put in them and can't make them. It's day 2.

So finding a Q600 marksman's rifle in A16x on day 2 would be AMAZING!!!!!

Finding a Q6 any gun on day 2 in A17x is ho hum compared to a Q1-5. There is no benefit if you don't have the mods. And by day 4 you've found so many Q1-2 guns that they are just worthless as the 3-4 Joels you know about won't buy any more.

Rarity is an issue and your comments haven't proven otherwise.

What about adding a Trader quest that reduces gamestage by some specific amount, say, 30? Something along the lines of, "I need you set this here bait at this POI. But be careful. As soon as it's exposed to the air it will draw in deaders for miles around." When you set it, it triggers a minihorde on your location. So you can fight or evade the horde.

If you do this quest once for each Trader you can reduce your gamestage by 150 (assuming a standard of 5 Traders per map) once every Trader restock period. That would at least mitigate the problem, and provides an in-game option for controlling your own gamestage.

I really like the idea of Legendary loot that can't be crafted or bought. Definitely would have to mod in the TargetPractice's Spikey Club of Extra Special Maximum Funness (for members only) .

The legendary loot should not be craftable. That would be awesome if the legendary loot is weapons and armors with legit appearance like military armor set and swat helmet.. They should remove from the crafting menu weapons like AK or SMG or Military armors.. It's not logical someone to produce weapons or armors with so good looking quality... Players with craftable gear (non legendary) like cloth/leather/iron armor should be noticeable from players with legendary gear (found from bosses or in the world) like military armor or swat armor or with a m416.

So a craftable gear should be with cloth, leather, scrap metal, duct tapes, ropes and pipes... and a Legendary gear should be industrial items with names like AK, UMP5, M16, SCAR-L, Military Armor, Swat Armor, Tactical Armor etc...

Modifications should have legendary gear and normal gear, for example a craft-able scope will be made with pipe, lenses and duct tape.

I like the game a lot but they should remove some things from the crafting menu.. It's silly to craft industrial quality items (like military armor or fridges) in a workshop.. That's why we explore cities (the old world) to find these items..

They have to separate the handmade (craft-able) quality from the industrial quality.

In addition, they should add different backpack skins in the game and make the POI's indestructible from the players.

What about adding a Trader quest that reduces gamestage by some specific amount, say, 30? Something along the lines of, "I need you set this here bait at this POI. But be careful. As soon as it's exposed to the air it will draw in deaders for miles around." When you set it, it triggers a minihorde on your location. So you can fight or evade the horde.

If you do this quest once for each Trader you can reduce your gamestage by 150 .

???? Why the heck would you want to do that? Increase it by 150 maybe.

Around day 30 on every A17 run so far I was maxed out. There was pretty much no reason to go on with the world at all, nothing I needed, EXCEPT for the challenge of raising gamestage to see if my base could take it. And if so how far.

And for anyone else thinking along the same lines about end-game challenge, I am delighted to report that despite my current base being almost untouched by every recent horde, we just had our GS 500+ horde night and the base was very nearly breached. A very thrilling horde night.. Love it. Back to the drawing board.

If I were a betting man, I'd say A18 is gonna get a big ass change to loot and gear again. I think TFP wanted to play out how gear/items worked as is to give it a whirl or to lead towards other gear. I can't see them playing to any degree and not noticing the fun suck that loot has become.

I suppose they could take the current skill system, scrap a ton of skills, and turn them into tiered mods. Would still kinda suck and be incredibly incremental. But at least loot might have more meaning.

???? Why the heck would you want to do that? Increase it by 150 maybe.

Around day 30 on every A17 run so far I was maxed out. There was pretty much no reason to go on with the world at all, nothing I needed, EXCEPT for the challenge of raising gamestage to see if my base could take it. And if so how far.

And for anyone else thinking along the same lines about end-game challenge, I am delighted to report that despite my current base being almost untouched by every recent horde, we just had our GS 500+ horde night and the base was very nearly breached. A very thrilling horde night.. Love it. Back to the drawing board.

1. Gives an in-game method to reduce your gamestage IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO SO. More player choice is _usually_ better. For players running into a glowing green army in every POI, this can be helpful.

2. If there's a quest to reduce gamestage, then it becomes easier to add a quest to _increase_ gamestage. For a player who wants the added challenge, this is a good thing and provides an in-game method to do so - like you wanted to.

Me personally, I'd like to have both. Those two quests would provide a great example for modders (even casual modder-wannabe's like me) to throw in some really fun quests - like maybe "Killa's Killer Kalamity - Crank up the challenge by OVER 9000!". Or "Make TargetPractice Cry! - Use his cologne to drive away the strongest Zombies, reduce the challenge by 500!" Or maybe have a special quest to kill the modded in Nightmare-level infected... Once the queen is dead, you don't run into as many high-end Z's - it gives you a buff that reduces your gamestage. For a time. Sounds like a great boss group quest to me.

That's why I'd do that. After all, you don't have to take the quest. YMMV.

If I were a betting man, I'd say A18 is gonna get a big ass change to loot and gear again. I think TFP wanted to play out how gear/items worked as is to give it a whirl or to lead towards other gear. I can't see them playing to any degree and not noticing the fun suck that loot has become.

I suppose they could take the current skill system, scrap a ton of skills, and turn them into tiered mods. Would still kinda suck and be incredibly incremental. But at least loot might have more meaning.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind any of that, and like the idea of tiered mods or using magazines and books to learn skills again. Another example of such a change would be having weapons and armor with random #'s of mod slots based on level. A Q2 knife, for example, could still have up to 2 slots, but not exactly 2. A Q6 weapon is more likely to have more slots, but not max every time (thus making the discovery of a 6 slot worth something). Or other tweaks, such as non-removable mods that make the weapons somewhat different and/or unique without causing things to be too easy, and that cannot be made or found otherwise.

I absolutely agree with you, and others, who have said that finding a gun isn't something to be lauded, it's just literal scrap fodder more often than not. I know some people didn't like the weapon parts aspect of the game, but i kind of liked it. Was nice to swap parts and gradually make a better weapon. Also, if you wanted to add a small amount of depth, could start out by level 1 guns being broken, and requiring parts to repair. Cleaning kits to maintain the weapon rather than repair kits (think forged iron or a new item like a cleaning rod, oil, cloth). Could expand that for weapons to some degree (example, sharpening stones for knives or axes, etc).

I dont like that you can find guns, ammo even on your first day/second day.

I play since 31.12.2018 - i never found a x bow - but i instantly made it when i get enough skill.

Why finding guns on first day + ammu so much...

I would make loot depending on level: you can be lucky and find a gun - very rare so its a very special and you have to use your bow at first...

A gun as more often loot: only when the player has the level he first can make own guns...

I find guns, shotgun, the Karabine rifle at first 1 or 2 days - only clearing very easy POIs with or scavenging cars...

The "high end" should be more rare or beeing only availavle to loot when you have the level where you can craft it - not at lvl 1...

The normal way i feel is: first fighting with bow- then happy when finding x-Bow or can craft one - then crafting a blunderbiss and only at endgame you find a pistol, Repetier rifle, Marksman rifle, Shotgun, the AK or the other useless automatic weapon.

The best weapons for me is X-Bow for silence headshots, Melee (Hammer) , the Pistol.

For Hordenight i use Shotgun/Revolver only - as i make most dmg with that by best getting hurt... Sometimes marksman rifle when some is far away hanging in the barb wire fences...

Archived