The role of the blunderbuss

apostrophe

Those are gun's mods (found in game). Not game's mods. But of course, your first post stays correct : blunderbuss needs some love at the beginning of the game. But as you can see, with perks and DPS augmented by mods, it's a nice gun.

Edit : the gun's mods are visible here :

You're level 185 with T6 gear and probably a perfect mod set-up. Nevermind the perks that being 185 afford you into Perception. This is hardly a valid test of the power of the blunderbuss considering where it is supposed to fall in progression... which is between bows and shotguns. Good luck having any mods in that level range. Best case you might have 1 maybe 2 mod slots. Not 6.

blunderbuss mods:

Cripple 'Em

Laser Sight

Reflex Sight

Retracting Stock

The Hunter/Rad Remover

Also a Bandolier on chest armor

For Perk:10 Perception, 5 headshot, 5 shotgun, 5 run and gun.

While not very practical, with all the above mods/perks, it is still a pretty fun firearm to use. The faster reload really helps. If you main shotgun and hence have the shotgun perks already it is not much of a cost to switch to the blunderbuss for some badass MP fun. Just imagine you and your friends are looting a POI, and suddenly someone bring out a blunderbuss sweeping through the building like a boss.

You're level 185 with T6 gear and probably a perfect mod set-up. Nevermind the perks that being 185 afford you into Perception. This is hardly a valid test of the power of the blunderbuss considering where it is supposed to fall in progression... which is between bows and shotguns. Good luck having any mods in that level range. Best case you might have 1 maybe 2 mod slots. Not 6.

Exactly what I said, but thanks to confirm.

Those are gun's mods (found in game). Not game's mods. But of course, your first post stays correct : blunderbuss needs some love at the beginning of the game. But as you can see, with perks and DPS augmented by mods, it's a nice gun.

Edit : the gun's mods are visible here :

I'm going to have to give that a try when I locate some more gun mods. The low ammo cost is tempting. It looks like the blunderbuss doesn't stun the zombies anymore...

Not that you are wrong but doesn't that negate the point of the blunderbuss? I'm assuming it's meant to be an early game weapon before you find a real gun so I'd think you'd not have the perk points to "pimp it out" so to speak.

I never use it either lol.

I find it pretty pointless but if you power level your first few levels in the wild it could be viable, the bow is just far better.

I dont know why the blunderbuss even exists unless you use it to wake up zeds in a PoI very early.

You find guns very quickly, prior to having gun parts which made finding a gun more difficult, now that guns are everywhere its an obsolete weapon.

Nothing much to add to the thread other then another voice to the, 'Blunderbuss is useless.' crowd.

While I have tried making one in every build form A14 forward; it's never actually been useful.

Either standing on it's own as a weapon; or by the time I could complete one and supply it with ammo, as I'd just have access to a better weapon.

It has no niche.

The blunderbuss used to be a really good bear gun, back when it came packed with a snare effect next to other shotguns. The ammo was cheap, the slow/stun effect was enough to keep bears out of reach, and the damage was worthwhile because it's hard to miss a bear.

Nowadays, with the perception/perk scaling and the removal of the slowdown/stun effect, it's trash. Complete trash. It's not worth the gunpowder spent on it.

The blunderbiuss is like in RL: i am Sportshoooter with legal 9mm, 8*57 IS, .22 and .45 acp.

This is nice, make fun but i also have a perkussion pistol ...

I would not use it if a home invasion is in action, i would not use it for competiotion events - but i shoot it sometimes for fun - 2 times in xear.... not for competition- only for fun...

the blunderbuss is the same: its quite useless: you find ammu in cars and before 1 hordenigt you found a gun...

A bow, rifle, pistol is way better than the blunderbiuss...

In my eyes, the bluinderbuss is only a joke, a gimmick . like in RL life. Yes you can have fun with it, but you only shoot it when you like to have fun ....

Changing the recipe for bullets to perhaps.. 1 Gunpowder, 5 Small Stones, and 2 Plant Fibres would be the best thing to make it viable early game.

Now it's just a joke weapon, people only craft it to have a laugh with.

To craft it, should be like..

1 Iron Pipe, 1 Mechanical Part, 20 Wood and 10 Iron Scraps

As far as I was ever able to tell it's a joke weapon. It's meant to be bad. Crafted it once. It was amusing. I've never acknowledged its existence since. I honestly thought they took it out of the game lol.

That's not to say I don't like the idea of it actually having some form of purpose. I'd love to see them make it even more amusing. Keep it doing lousy damage and taking forever to reload. But make it instantly ragdoll them and knock them back a good twenty feet. Would be hilariously good fun.

This is how you fix it:

1. Make it a crowd control weapon

2. Guarantee a knock down for pretty much anything on the screen

3. Low damage but not the point, use when getting overrun for a chance to escape or get your footing back

4. Higher tier ammo would use nails and have a high chance of limb dismemberment

5. This would make useful for early and late game/hordes

A while back Madmole seemed to love it. The idea seemed to be that it was your next step up after the bow. I believe the crossbow came after the blunderbuss, but I could be wrong on that. Anyway, the way weapons have taken a turn in game, it's made the blunderbuss obsolete.

Even before A17, the xbow was far more beneficial to have than the blunderbuss. So it wasn't really worth it at that point either.

There were some who loved the gun. But it just never got attention. What it is, to me, is a casualty of the Early Access development environment. Unless Madmole has some fond memories, it's probably just gonna go by the wayside at some point.

Though IMO, it'd be better just to have it as a crowd control weapon with diminishing effects.

Basically, only stun, like a 6 second stun. No real damage at all. And a 6 second reload. But always a manual reload by R.

Every shot after the first reduces the stun by half.

Good escape weapon, fun co-op strategy too.

Woops. I guess basically what Deluxe said, but with tweaks.

This is how you fix it:

1. Make it a crowd control weapon

2. Guarantee a knock down for pretty much anything on the screen

3. Low damage but not the point, use when getting overrun for a chance to escape or get your footing back

4. Higher tier ammo would use nails and have a high chance of limb dismemberment

5. This would make useful for early and late game/hordes

delicious.

Archived