The role of the blunderbuss

apostrophe

Weeks ago (in-game days) I crafted my first firearm: a blunderbuss, and ammo for it. The cost for each is surprinsingly handy for a gun, and I guess that's its benefit. You don't need a forge for it.

But upon use, showering lead at a zombie close enough to hug me, didn't do much to stop it, which was very underwhelming. Plus, the obligatory reloading after each shot is nervewrecking, as it is a weapon to be used in closequarters.

Is this ok?

At the blunderbuss' ideal range, you're better off aiming for the zombie's head with a reinforced club or a bow, so why use it?

My suggestion: increase its damage and turn off the automatic reload animation. This way, you let loose a salvo of lead, draw your melee weapon and pounce into combat, full of stamina. I can bet this is the intended use of the blunderbuss.

"No, nothing is to change here". Ok. I propose two other paths:

- leave the blunderbuss' stats in place and replace it with a matchlock pistol. You retain its mediocrity but now in a more plausible size. My above scenario would be even more fitting here, in essence, motivating XVII century combat;

- or(/and?) scrap the blunderbuss and add an arquebus (or a musket, but I think the former has a more primitive vibe), and scrap blunderbuss ammo for stone cartridges, which uses the same recipe but shoots one round stone instead of various smaller pebbles. Here you'd have a low-tech low-cost, gunpowder, ranged weapon option, that could entertain players until the crossbow arrives. Hell, maybe even reward able marksmen with specific perks to keep it until mid-game.

I think all my suggestions would fit like a glove in the outdoors moments of the game. Lol, add a beaver hat and you're set.

My 2 cents.

Looking at the competition, Rust offers the Eoka pistol as the earliest form of gunpowder weapon. From their wiki: A rough homemade single shot pistol. Instead of having a trigger, the Eoka Pistol is fired by striking a hole on top of the pistol with a piece of flint which takes a random number of attempts (max 9, although normally 2-3). It can fire any type of shotgun ammunition.

Upgrade your Perception and Run And Gun perks.

I never personally use the blunderbuss, its an obnoxiously loud weapon and loud is very very bad when you play on insane/nightmare speed daytime zombies.

Not that you are wrong but doesn't that negate the point of the blunderbuss? I'm assuming it's meant to be an early game weapon before you find a real gun so I'd think you'd not have the perk points to "pimp it out" so to speak.

I never use it either lol.

I see the blunderbuss more as a kind of fun weapon that makes a lot of noise rather than something you can take seriously. Games4kickz had a lot of fun with the blunderbuss on his day 14 horde and he even managed to kill some zombies with it.

Last time I made one I think was alpha 13. Shotguns are not that good, and the blunderbuss is like a way worse shotgun if you can imagine that. And with auto reload yes it would just get you killed now.

It should at least throw zombies backwards into violent ragdolls to be of any use, but even then with such low damage it seems to be a waste.

I used to make a blunderbluss A.S.A.P. in previous alphas for defense against zombie dogs as it would stun them allowing time for another shot while keeping them far enough away to not bite me. As soon as I found a shotgun, the blunderbuss ended up in a storage chest.

Since alpha 17, I usually find a shotgun within a day or two thus making the blunderbuss obsolete or a novelty item.

I'd like to see it with ~huge~ damage, and huge (manual) reload time. The sort of thing you could use to one-shot a wight or cop if you let it get close enough, and your aim was true.

-Morloc

I think if it oneshot a lumberjack or biker it would be more reasonable than a cop, but this feature would certainly take it out of obsolescence.

The blunderbuss is a relic of the gun part system. It served to span the gap between bows and firearms but never quite did the job it was intended to do. Now with zombies being much more resistant to firearm damage and it not being uncommon to have a complete fire arm or two by the end of your first day, it is sadly left without a place in normal progression... not that it had much of one to begin with.

As it stands, it is awkward to use and doesn't pack enough of a punch to be viable. However, that could be said about a lot of other weapons as well.

I'd just like to add that since Alpha 11, I never once bothered to make a blunderbuss just because of how useless and pointless it is and how you're able to make or find a better weapon within minutes of playing. They definitely either need to change it or remove it from the game.

The blunderbuss is too slow, weak, and loud to be a good weapon and that's always been the case. It has such a wide spread pattern and such a short range that using the gun as a club would probably be more damaging than actually firing it. I remember the tales of people aiming center mass at a fat tourist zombie three blocks away and missing.

I'd like to see the Blunderbuss as a cheaper but more economical shotgun alternative. The kind of gun that is blisteringly powerful if fired up close, even moreso than a regular shotgun, but weaker the further away you are. But one still capable of hitting a target a few meters away, which the current one very much isn't. One with extremely cheap ammunition that's readily available everywhere. Maybe give it some mods to spice it up a bit. Also, one change that would be good to consider and a nod to the historical design of the blunderbuss, would be to let you move at full speed while reloading it. Blunderbusses are designed to be reloaded very easily by untrained folks, after all.

With mods anything is possible. I want change signed by the devs.

Those are gun's mods (found in game). Not game's mods. But of course, your first post stays correct : blunderbuss needs some love at the beginning of the game. But as you can see, with perks and DPS augmented by mods, it's a nice gun.

Edit : the gun's mods are visible here :

Those are gun's mods (found in game). Not game's mods. But of course, your first post stays correct : blunderbuss needs some love at the beginning of the game. But as you can see, with perks and DPS augmented by mods, it's a nice gun.

Edit : the gun's mods are visible here :

Sorry, YT videos don't open here at work. I thought you had modded the weapon.

Archived