Tallow

Junuxx

If you propose to remove something like this, you should include some ideas of how to handle its absence. How would you prefer to make candles and flaming arrows if not with tallow?

In my opinion no. I’m not a fan of simplifying things in game unless they are obviously unnecessary and/or complicated. I find tallow to be quite simple and I don’t really see any huge benefit to removing it.

Where does this come from? Is it too hard to make?

If you propose to remove something like this, you should include some ideas of how to handle its absence.

Oh but I did.

fur vs leather, which were merged

Merge them, it just adds a completely uninteresting intermediary crafting step.

Tallow is a pretty old recipe. And with it only being used with a couple of questionable recipes I would vote for it’s removal completely.

Just add cloth and gas for arrows. And who uses candles anyway? You can loot them in abundance. No reason to craft them at all.

Better left to a mod :)

Oh I see. Well, I still have my thoughts on it though. Tired of removals and dumbing things down. I want more content... even small things like making tallow. I suppose if I had to choose for the arrows, I would prefer the gas and cloth over using raw animal fat. I don’t think a chunk of fat on a stick would ignite very well.

Atomic I don’t disagree with you at all. I want to see MORE. but if we try to overload pimps with more items that are just crappy then it is a distraction from the core of the game. Tallow going away really isn’t gonna make the game suddenly shallow :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also if you try to stick a candle on an arrow it will burn great. Until you actually launch the arrow. Then it goes out :)

People have proposed the removal of plant fibers, which I am also against. Along with that, the removal of the clothing you can make from it. Both tallow and plant fibers are essential to primitive survival, which is why so many survival games have some form of these. I'm a strong supporter of adding tree sap into the game as a better way to make glue, as tree resins are also core to primitive survival. All three of these things have so many uses in survival and 7D2D doesn't even scratch the surface of it. For me, a better solution would be to include these items in more recipes and to extend the need of the primitive items a little longer. In the beginning of the game, I want to really feel like I am clawing away at nature to survive the best I know how at the time.

In the current alpha, a major complaint found among posts and reviews is that the game is losing its other aspects and has moved mainly to a zombie shooter. I agree to some extent and believe that things like this only take away from the core survival aspect only to give more to the shoot-em up aspect. Technically, I suppose you could call any game where it is possible to die, "survival", but really a game in the survival genre needs to have elements like these and not just staying alive.

Ugh, moved to questions without being given a reason. This was not a question or a suggestion guys, this was a discussion.

All my threads keep getting moved! What does one need to do here to just have a thread in General Discussions?

Archived