Base entry

killieandy

So just started on alpha17 and went for my usual early base of a platform on top of one of the big rocks. Set my ladder post as normal with the bottom block missing the ladder and a block width gap between the Piller and my platform. Next thing I know I have a wondering board climb up the ladder and jump the gap. Wtf when did this happen. Thought it was just a glitch until I seen it happen again with a lone zed.

So if this is now a thing what's the best way to make an entrance to your base.

On a side note are the uninhabited bases, the ones with what looks like a caravan, worth raiding. Tried a quick blast through one but didn't find much

Zombies can't jump a 3 block gap but you can. You can work with that to make an entrance.

If you use 4 ramp blocks and place them so they make a diamond shape on the ground or on a bridge, the zombies will fall through but you can carefully walk over it. Another option.

You can make your ladder 3 blocks off the ground and drop a frame and jump onto it. Pick up your frame right after.

Just some ideas.

i never have a problem with just a hatch and ladder, they wont even climb the ladder unless the hatch is open.

I thought the same thing and haven't had any issues doing exactly that until horde night. Last two I've had zeds climb the ladder and destroy the hatch. First night ladder went to the ground, second time I had knocked out the bottom rung.

Just my experience, and time to try a new strategy lol.

Even with the bottom two rungs knocked out there are times the zombies pile up on each other and can then easily get to the ladder. I've never had them even try to climb the ladder if the hatch above it is closed. They seek other paths but it could be some of the randomization faatal put in has had an effect.

Even with the bottom two rungs knocked out there are times the zombies pile up on each other and can then easily get to the ladder. I've never had them even try to climb the ladder if the hatch above it is closed. They seek other paths but it could be some of the randomization faatal put in has had an effect.

I think the hatch is only 4 blocks off the ground so you may be correct, but they sure got up there as I had to kill them to prevent damage to my turret located in the vicinity. I'll come up with a different plan however, no complaints - just surprised me is all.

You can also put the first ladder two blocks up, you can jump on it but they cannot. That with a hatch on top is my goto now.

I've done this and for the most part you are safe but I have definitely had zombies stand on top of each other and get on my ladder with just a two block gap from the ground. 3 seems to be the magic number to be 100% safe, at least in my experience.

I thought the same thing and haven't had any issues doing exactly that until horde night. Last two I've had zeds climb the ladder and destroy the hatch. First night ladder went to the ground, second time I had knocked out the bottom rung.

Just my experience, and time to try a new strategy lol.

Well yea on horde night a hatch isn't gonna stop them. Sorry I didn't know you were trying to go for horde night entry. That changes things entirely.

Something we've been using in our base, we call an 'isolator'. Basically you do the typical ladder that starts with a 2 meter gap from the floor, then we put a hatch one meter up from the floor (with some decorative poles to visually anchor it.) The hatch is there so that when things are quiet, we close it and we don't have to worry about the tricky jump up to the ladder. You just jump up onto the hatch and grab the ladder. But on horde night, we open the hatches on the isolators, which causes path finding to favor our preferred zombie routes into the base.

We build like this because we spend a lot of time one storey up in our vast castle base, and the isolators make it so that zombies don't pathfind into our core keep to get at us. They isolate the 2nd storey from the ground level except for four specific "murder corridors."

The problem is, if I tell you the layout I use to confound the zombies and stop them getting into my base some killjoy will call it an 'exploit' and then the AI will be tweaked in the next release specifically to prevent it.

At this stage, it's much better to keep quiet about successful zombie avoidance strategies you've found if you hope to be able to continue using them. If they don't get widely publicised there's a good chance that the devs won't encounter them (they've got better things to do with their time than to go looking for them - they rely on snitches) and they won't get nerfed.

The problem is, if I tell you the layout I use to confound the zombies and stop them getting into my base some killjoy will call it an 'exploit' and then the AI will be tweaked in the next release specifically to prevent it.

At this stage, it's much better to keep quiet about successful zombie avoidance strategies you've found if you hope to be able to continue using them. If they don't get widely publicised there's a good chance that the devs won't encounter them (they've got better things to do with their time than to go looking for them - they rely on snitches) and they won't get nerfed.

Maybe you are right. Maybe not.

IF TFP remove all cheese from the game and place the player defenseless in a world with zombies that can make 1000+ Damage per second

(Thats a measured value for 4-6 Workerzombies)

Well then the game will faster die than a blink.

But sadly there is no way for me to prevent that, well except the Frog in a pot theorie. (They need to change it so fast that currently playing people simply stop, and not only most people that come new to the game) and the hope TFP will understand that with every higher difficulty they need to spend the same amount of time to add sollutions.

So dear new players, thats my until now most developed base (arround the 20th or so in A17)

Entry via Hatchlift as shown above

Inside enough place

AD020BCBFC2BE308DE3AE9898131914CCF45AED9

C0260B86EDD8961083773E569181933103642F75

394AF3F1AE3C73AE523C9B739FB1B5F50F6362F9

The Frame fence outside i MAYBE make a wall and fill the 3 broad inside with spikes. But i guess thats needless.

The "Ramps" + Barbwire = Meledefense

And the ramps dont hoover, they are connected via Plates

Well yea on horde night a hatch isn't gonna stop them. Sorry I didn't know you were trying to go for horde night entry. That changes things entirely.

I use an entry with a ladder, a hatch and a door for my horde base. A long as you offfer them an open path to you they will ignore the closed hatch. But don't forget to close the hatch.

Maybe you are right. Maybe not.

IF TFP remove all cheese from the game and place the player defenseless in a world with zombies that can make 1000+ Damage per second

(Thats a measured value for 4-6 Workerzombies)

Well then the game will faster die than a blink.

But sadly there is no way for me to prevent that, well except the Frog in a pot theorie. (They need to change it so fast that currently playing people simply stop, and not only most people that come new to the game) and the hope TFP will understand that with every higher difficulty they need to spend the same amount of time to add sollutions.

So dear new players, thats my until now most developed base (arround the 20th or so in A17)

Entry via Hatchlift as shown above

Inside enough place

AD020BCBFC2BE308DE3AE9898131914CCF45AED9

C0260B86EDD8961083773E569181933103642F75

394AF3F1AE3C73AE523C9B739FB1B5F50F6362F9

The Frame fence outside i MAYBE make a wall and fill the 3 broad inside with spikes. But i guess thats needless.

The "Ramps" + Barbwire = Meledefense

And the ramps dont hoover, they are connected via Plates

I call BS base building is dead. Dead I tell you! kidding! Seriously though is this working right for you? I'm finding if I do the same thing the zombies beat on the back walls instead of pathing around to the side where the steps are in A17.1 In A17 that worked fine.

I call BS base building is dead. Dead I tell you! kidding! Seriously though is this working right for you? I'm finding if I do the same thing the zombies beat on the back walls instead of pathing around to the side where the steps are in A17.1 In A17 that worked fine.

As long as the zombie "see" a path to you they can take they will prefer this path. In the case above the fallholes on the last picture they perceive as walkable blocks. If you stand near at the bars arround 2-3 Zombies per Hordenight try to punch you, and one of >200 will move over the fallholes.

But finally except Vultures and spiders theres not much that can make it to you.

The vertical plates that hold the ramp they see as (what they are really) gape and even if they could jump on your side they dont even try it in 17.1 as long as they see the better way over the fallholes

Maybe the lenght of the ramps is important too

The inner room 7x7, the inner house 9x9, the 2 Broad plateau 13x13

The high should have been 8 but i guess i cant count further than 6 ^^

If you build this on (over, arround) a Huge Rock formation you should need to use less than 500 Blocks

Archived