Fixing the lag?

Linkhead2

Are we ever gonna see an update thats dedicated to fixing or optimizing the game to a more standard level? It seems like every update makes the game more laggy and unbearable to play :(

or if there is a way to reduce the lag, fellow community?

Every setting i have it set to low apart from textures, SO Water qual is low, Tree qual is low, Shadows are off. Texture qual is max

Currently peaking at 30fps!

You need very good hardware to run this game. That said, many with good hardware are also having problems while others who have 10 year old gfx cards are claiming to have no problems.

Until the devs give us some solid info I doubt you will get many usefull answers, I have searched.

You could post your specs and maybe get lucky if someone has a tip or two. Wish I could help more.

They will optimize things once they have a good idea that the games features won't be changing too much.

They are also doing fixes and optimizations each update if you look at the notes.

I understand your frustration since I would like to see smoother gameplay as well but in a games development cycle optimizations usually come at the end once all the major features are in.

Lag is latency, has nothing to do with video or CPU. If you have lag, you need to see what's eating your bandwidth or choose a server closer to you. If you mean "low frame rate", then you're either choking on CPU or GPU. A17 introduced an updated Unity engine, which means more horsepower is needed. If you have a shiny new 4K monitor you may want to run in 1K instead (1K is 50% of 4K in terms of resolution, 2K is 1.5 times 1K) which would result in half the pixels to render. I have zero issues in 2K with a GTX 1070 and maxed out settings.

If your video card is powerful enough, check your CPU. This game is voxel-based and uses a lot of CPU and RAM. If your CPU is maxing out, that may be your issue. Otherwise the only option is to upgrade your hardware. You should NOT need recent hardware to run the game well. My CPU is an i7-6950X, hardly recent.

My CPU is an i7-6950X, hardly recent.

That's still a thousand dollar cpu..hardly cheap bit I'm thinking you wanted to flex.

If you want to spend a bit the i7-8700k is just under 400 bucks and should be more than enough. From what I have been reading 7D2D doesn't use multiple cores properly so if it doesn't run flawless with that cpu then that's on the game and not the hardware assuming it is supported with at least 16gb ram and a decent gfx card.

This setup will run most games at 100 fps or more on the highest settings.

Like I said in my original post though, nothing is written in stone here because this game seems to have "special needs". Would be great to get some real info.

I know the game isn't finished and I don't expect the minimum requirements to stay as they were when the game released but there really should be an update to the minimum requirments that are stated on the steam page because those are ridiculously off.

In the last thread on this topic a few people came in and said they are running it fine on very old hardware so let me clarify what "running good" means to me, at least 60fps on highest settings.

If you want 4k and all the extras then yeah..you are going to have to spend a nice bit of cash.

This is a very touchy subject for me because I'm upgrading my pc at the moment and can't get any straight answers and I'm not really looking to spend 3 thousand or more just to go overkill on this game when all other games run perfectly on a pc that costs half that price. Really frustrating..

I'm not flexxing, that's childish. Intel CPUs rarely drop in price, even years after they are out of production. It is stupid and one of the few things I seriously dislike about Intel. This chip should be cheaper by now. I mean heck, we have the i9 series!

Anyway, 7 Days does use multiple threads/cores just fine. There are several forum threads about that on these forums. YOu can probably watch your cores in Task Manager to see this if you really want to.

As for your definition of "running good", it REALLY sounds like you are a console player trying to get into PC gaming. Don't expect a steady 60fps unless you want to drop a LOT of cash. Hell I can't get 60fps in Ark or 7 Days, and I have two GTX 1070's in SLI! Granted, Unity only uses one because Unity lives in the 90's, but at any modern resolution (1K-4K) with max settings, you'll need some serious hardware. We're talking 2080's in SLI and a good CPU.

Also, I am willing to bet your "other games" run with vsync off so you get the fairy tale of "100fps" when half of those frames are incomplete. If you do not know why disabling vsync gives you a VERY false framerate readout, go read up on it. I've said it before, vsync off can make a 10Hz monitor output 1000fps. Not physically possible. Also, is vsync off in 7 Days? If so, enable it and tell us what you are REALLY getting in terms of framerate.

As an example, I average 40-80fps in 7 Days at 2560x1440@144Hz with v-sync and G-Sync on. If I disable v-sync I go over 300fps. This is physically impossible on my monitor due to it being a 144Hz monitor, which means 144fps max. Also, when rendering above the max refresh rate on a G-Sync monitor, G-Sync is disabled, so I lose that too.

As far as "solid info" goes, I do not know what you need. The game requires about 6GB minimum, so if you have 8GB you should be fine, and 16GB makes you golden. This game, unlike Call of Duty or whatever else you play, is EXTREMELY intense on your CPU and RAM. The entire world is voxels. That means it keeps the modifications to the world (holes in the ground, tunnels, buildings, etc) in RAM and the CPU has to figure out how to merge these voxels to send to the GPU for rendering. Most games are fairly static. There is no calculation for a hole in the ground or some guy digging a tunnel or building a castle. Comparing anything, even Ark, to 7 Days is apples to oranges. 8-16GB of RAM and a good six-core (or more) CPU coupled to a recent video card should be fine, but do not expect 60fps unless you really lower your resolution or spend a LOT of cash on a serious video card and CPU.

I'm not flexxing, that's childish. Intel CPUs rarely drop in price, even years after they are out of production. It is stupid and one of the few things I seriously dislike about Intel. This chip should be cheaper by now. I mean heck, we have the i9 series!

Anyway, 7 Days does use multiple threads/cores just fine. There are several forum threads about that on these forums. YOu can probably watch your cores in Task Manager to see this if you really want to.

As for your definition of "running good", it REALLY sounds like you are a console player trying to get into PC gaming. Don't expect a steady 60fps unless you want to drop a LOT of cash. Hell I can't get 60fps in Ark or 7 Days, and I have two GTX 1070's in SLI! Granted, Unity only uses one because Unity lives in the 90's, but at any modern resolution (1K-4K) with max settings, you'll need some serious hardware. We're talking 2080's in SLI and a good CPU.

Also, I am willing to bet your "other games" run with vsync off so you get the fairy tale of "100fps" when half of those frames are incomplete. If you do not know why disabling vsync gives you a VERY false framerate readout, go read up on it. I've said it before, vsync off can make a 10Hz monitor output 1000fps. Not physically possible. Also, is vsync off in 7 Days? If so, enable it and tell us what you are REALLY getting in terms of framerate.

As an example, I average 40-80fps in 7 Days at 2560x1440@144Hz with v-sync and G-Sync on. If I disable v-sync I go over 300fps. This is physically impossible on my monitor due to it being a 144Hz monitor, which means 144fps max. Also, when rendering above the max refresh rate on a G-Sync monitor, G-Sync is disabled, so I lose that too.

As far as "solid info" goes, I do not know what you need. The game requires about 6GB minimum, so if you have 8GB you should be fine, and 16GB makes you golden. This game, unlike Call of Duty or whatever else you play, is EXTREMELY intense on your CPU and RAM. The entire world is voxels. That means it keeps the modifications to the world (holes in the ground, tunnels, buildings, etc) in RAM and the CPU has to figure out how to merge these voxels to send to the GPU for rendering. Most games are fairly static. There is no calculation for a hole in the ground or some guy digging a tunnel or building a castle. Comparing anything, even Ark, to 7 Days is apples to oranges. 8-16GB of RAM and a good six-core (or more) CPU coupled to a recent video card should be fine, but do not expect 60fps unless you really lower your resolution or spend a LOT of cash on a serious video card and CPU.

A lot of cheap shots in this book here as well as a lot of assumptions and false info. There are plenty of people running this game with one gfx card and an 8700k who are getting more than 60 fps with vsync enabled.

Yes I own a console but I was a pc gamer long before that so yeah..don't try to teach me about vsync.

I'll just cut this conversation short though because I can see this getting ugly and my forum drama days are over, I'm not looking for inet cool points.

Lag is latency, has nothing to do with video or CPU. .

In today's world, lag has gone from having a specific meaning (latency in multiplayer gaming which can cause rubber banding and missing shots that should have hit) to becoming a more general use word with broader meaning.

Most people who say "lag" now mean low FPS.

This change of the meaning seems to have come from console gamers who want to be cool like us PC gamers, but they incorrectly used one of our words. Pretty lame and totally not cool. I'd arrest all those console gamers but there isn't enough prisons to store them all, and sadly it isn't legal to just execute them all, being an internet cop is hard sometimes, and the pay sucks.

In 7 days to die, frustratingly enough, lag takes on a 3rd meaning.

It could also mean what some like myself are experiencing, where even in single player, even with graphics turned down, the game quarter second freezes up completely then goes back to normal.

Soo to summarize here is how this should go.

LAG: latency in multiplayer, causing rubber banding or temporary lost input.

LOW FPS: Low frames per second, caused by poorly optimized game, or just not having enough horsepower on your cpu\gpu.

Short freeze: short duration freeze, the game might still be running just failing to show any frames during this freeze (like in 7d2d)

freeze: the game froze up and you had to restart the game\computer.

crash to desktop (C2D): like a freeze only it put you right to desktop, no need to do control alt delete or alt f4, or hit reset.

crash to couch: What happens after a long hard day at work.

sugar crash: What happens after eating or drinking sugary foods!

crash to crash: What happens after driving while intoxicated.

social suicide: You decided to start playing video games. You might talk to people online, but it isn't the same thing, your social life is over.

WORDS WORDS WOOOOOORDS!!!!

But we are in the idiocy generation, so all hope of getting consistent use of words is lost. Heck, I to make constant conversation and grammar mistakes. We are all idiots. Anyone who thinks himself not a fool is a greater fool indeed. Good luck humans, you suck.

NOW LET ME TURN YOU ALL INTO ZOMBIES RAAAAAAAAWR!!!!

Are we ever gonna see an update thats dedicated to fixing or optimizing the game to a more standard level?

In a word? No.

No, you're not going to see an update, inside an Alpha process, dedicated to optimisation.

Nor should you.

Large-scale optimisation I expect will occur once the game goes into Beta, and until then, I expect you'll find TFP is optimising only to a point of getting the game running at an acceptable level for the large majority of hardware (which it is) and optimising to fix glaring issues and the like.

That said, as Hellsmoke has pointed out, post your hardware specs and perhaps there's something specific someone can see that's causing an issue.

In a word? No.

No, you're not going to see an update, inside an Alpha process, dedicated to optimisation.

Nor should you.

Maybe not a whole update dedicated to optimization, but I'm still hoping for something. I was under the impression that they didn't have time to optimize a17 before the holidays, but they would look into it now.. Maybe it's just me though...

Aaanyway, I second that lowering the resolution helps a lot.

Maybe not a whole update dedicated to optimization, but I'm still hoping for something. I was under the impression that they didn't have time to optimize a17 before the holidays, but they would look into it now.. Maybe it's just me though...

Aaanyway, I second that lowering the resolution helps a lot.

Well, to be sure, I would expect the Pimps would be doing some optimisations, of course. I mean, the game does need to run acceptably, or testing becomes pointless, but the real effort on it will be a prime focus of Beta I expect.

You need very good hardware to run this game. That said, many with good hardware are also having problems while others who have 10 year old gfx cards are claiming to have no problems.

Until the devs give us some solid info I doubt you will get many usefull answers, I have searched.

You could post your specs and maybe get lucky if someone has a tip or two. Wish I could help more.

the PC specs are:

Processor: Intel Core I5-4460 3.20GHz 4CPUs

Graphics card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti

Memory: 10GB

In a word? No.

Nor should you.

Large-scale optimisation I expect will occur once the game goes into Beta, and until then, I expect you'll find TFP is optimising only to a point of getting the game running at an acceptable level for the large majority of hardware (which it is) and optimising to fix glaring issues and the like.

That said, as Hellsmoke has pointed out, post your hardware specs and perhaps there's something specific someone can see that's causing an issue.

the PC specs are:

Ive never seen a game in alpha that is 6 years into progression, apart from tf2. IF they want their game to get off the ground theyre gonna want to fix their engine problem, otherwise its gonna be very frustrating trying to find ways to be entertained by it. Another way to think of it would be its overall appearance, Do you want a game that has a lot of potential to be a buggy and disoriented mess? Forget the fact thats in alpha.

You have a perfect, sturdy and well built game that is capable of being a success, but you gotta make sure its playable.

the PC specs are:

Ive never seen a game in alpha that is 6 years into progression, apart from tf2. IF they want their game to get off the ground theyre gonna want to fix their engine problem, otherwise its gonna be very frustrating trying to find ways to be entertained by it. Another way to think of it would be its overall appearance, Do you want a game that has a lot of potential to be a buggy and disoriented mess? Forget the fact thats in alpha.

You have a perfect, sturdy and well built game that is capable of being a success, but you gotta make sure its playable.

Actually there is too much things to add and optimise within this game, the balance and performance is somewhere still unacceptable, that why a full release will flood the steam review to be more negative..

the PC specs are:

1. How do you get 10GB RAM? I've never seen a 5GB chip. You must have 12GB, and some inbred chipset is stealing some of it.

2. You've never seen a game in Alpha for 5 years because most titles don't let you get into the game during the Alpha stage. (Note that this game has only been in development for just a little over 5 years, and not 6.)

Also, most AAA games with big dev teams and huge budgets spend 5 years in development on average. This isn't a AAA company with a massive dev team. You need to set the correct expectations.

Early Access has changed that.

3. Optimization is primarily reserved for the Beta development stage. We aren't there yet. We're still in Alpha where core features are being worked on quite heavily. Most optimization at this stage is a waste of time.

You seem to realise the game is in Alpha, but at the same time, have no idea of how development actually works.

Archived