Moderators: would one of you be willing to provide an updated Rules or Posting Guide?

FileMachete

That question came up to my mind when I saw the “wood base” thread being moved...

I think its pretty subjective to whatever they feel like doing. I don't think mods here really have any rules they have to abide by.

The fact that the wood base post was moved but Royal is allowed to have his diaries is pretty much proof of that.

Both discuss gameplay. Just make sure you dont have a question mark in your title though. There's a rule on that one.

It's a tough call on how to segment everything. Too fine and everything winds up scattered across a hundred parents. Too course and they get swept away by the current.

Reason I asked the question was it feels like something changed. Maybe there's a new moderator or something? I couldn't find a list, though I likely couldn't tell if someone were new unless there were dates.

Edit: meant to mention that without comments as to why or by who a move was done I couldn't just pm and ask. Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't come across the wrong way. It wasn't meant as a challenge or complaint. :)

I'm very confused now... I -know- I didn't have one too many cause I'm outa beer, heh :)

and I'm worried about breaking the time-space continuem even thinking about a thread about threads .... 'repositioned'? is then itself warped over? into? 'Off Topic' ... owwww me head hurts! (maybe it's tribbles?)

I think its pretty subjective to whatever they feel like doing. I don't think mods here really have any rules they have to abide by.

The fact that the wood base post was moved but Royal is allowed to have his diaries is pretty much proof of that.

Both discuss gameplay. Just make sure you dont have a question mark in your title though. There's a rule on that one.

Ok, good point. Fits into the overall pattern. 😅

Actually they do but by and large it's

Serve the public trust,

protect the innocent,

uphold the law.

Not every specific situation is regulated like what needs to happen with a thread or post when it has > 51.3% and < 65% off-topic/off-forum content.

If it's not about the game, it doesn't belong in General Discussion. The forums are not the game, so this thread was moved here.

We have a lot of individual discretion when it comes to moving threads, especially in cases where they weren't reported. Case in point, I was unaware of the wood base thread mentioned.

It looks like you're talking about this thread. I didn't move this thread personally, but it makes sense to put it in Images & Video, because it's a 'show off and talk about what you did in game' kind of post. The descriptions for each section are usually self-explanatory; the description for Images & Video is "Show off your screenshots, videos, fan art and other survivor made media here."

It comes down to the focus of the thread.

If the focus is on an element of the game, like a player's comparison of different gun mods for example, General Discussion can be appropriate.

If the focus is on an idea not in the game, like how the Behemoth should work, Pimp Dreams can be appropriate.

If the focus is on seeking information, like asking where to get clay now, Questions can be appropriate. This section also exists in part (at least historically) for players that don't own and haven't played the game.

If the focus is on what a player has done creatively in their own game, which very often means the look and design of their base, Images & Video can be appropriate. Unless that player posts videos as part of a regular series, in which case Content Creators can be appropriate. Which is poorly named, because game mods are content and modders are content creators (fight me) so technically the whole modding section should be under Content Creators if we're not going to change the name...:rant:

Ahem. You get the idea, and you can probably see how there's overlap. A thread like "My simple wood base" can use what a player has done creatively in their own game as a case study for an element of the game. So determining where the focus lies can be subjective.

If you think a thread should be moved, or shouldn't have been moved, you don't have to send a PM or start a thread. Report the post, and the Mod Squad will be on the case! :mod:

I get they want to clean up General, but it would have been a lot better to just merge the many duplicate threads there. Just my opinion.

I'm on mobile, I don't always check this far down. :).

I would love to do that, but typically by the time I get to seeing them, they're too far into each one to merge them together without causing more issues.

It looks like you're talking about this thread. I didn't move this thread personally, but it makes sense to put it in Images & Video, because it's a 'show off and talk about what you did in game' kind of post. The descriptions for each section are usually self-explanatory; the description for Images & Video is "Show off your screenshots, videos, fan art and other survivor made media here."

Yep, i did that one, and that's why I did it.

As for the earlier mentioned diaries, maybe we need a "Survivor Stories" section down here with screenshots and videos. I know there have been several over the years that were nice stories, and it's a shame that they get lost after not being posted in for a couple of days. I have never felt they belonged in GD, but don't really have another section appropriate for them.

As for the earlier mentioned diaries, maybe we need a "Survivor Stories" section down here with screenshots and videos. I know there have been several over the years that were nice stories, and it's a shame that they get lost after not being posted in for a couple of days. I have never felt they belonged in GD, but don't really have another section appropriate for them.

Though I’m not a fan of huge mega-threads, we do have the “Share your Survival Story” thread over in News & Announcements.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?40509-Share-your-Survival-Story

Crater Creator, SylenThunder,

Really appreciate you guys going over this. And clarifying the criteria for some of the main parents.

I'd read through what I could find, and the little blurbs for each, like "Images and Videos' "Show off your screenshots, videos, fan art and other survivor made media here."

After that was when I started this thread. I honestly didn't know/understand the "If focus is..." parts that you detailed Crater.

Not disagreeing with your calls on the moves. Having a better understanding of the criteria now it's much easier to see the reasoning behind the moves. While I was seeing the 'My simple wood base' thread as a helpful post for folks who might be struggling on horde night, it wasn't crafted as such. Nor was my thread about a 'pure melee base', regardless of what my intent was, heh :)

Thank again for the info & clarification, and the job you do herding all us unruly cats every day :D

Archived