17.1 B8 So Far, Feels Pretty Good

AtomicUs5000

Have you seen the towns full of rubble and radio towers? Variation is by far worse currently than it was before.

POI variation is complete different thing than biome variation. It's the next layer so to speak.

But to answer your question, actually no. We've only run three different maps during A17 so far though. But can that be a seed problem? A17 has different seeds for map/biomes and map features (roads, pois etc.) if I have understood the serverconfig xml correctly. Try using different variables for those.

To answer the question about the 20-30 cooking pots on the first day...

Basically there are 2 scenarios. Scenario 1 is that your gen happens to have good sized burned forests. This is the better of the two scenarios because the bigger ones always have those corner building ruins with ovens and sinks.

The second scenario is that you have not come across good burned forest biomes. In this case, I just go into any house POI. I don't bother to run through the whole thing. I just bust the door, kill any visible zombies (if I have to), and head straight to the kitchen. Loot as fast as possible and take off.

I always do this the first day and the only reason why I end up with so many cooking pots is because I am also getting as many jars as possible and hoping for at least one wrench and possibly a grill. In between POIs I gather mass amounts of chrys, goldenrod, feathers, eggs, cotton, wood from the small, dead branchy trees, and hunt while also looking for where I want to start building... basically any flat green area somewhat near a body of water and preferably surrounded by boulders.

The burned forest is not better either. I got kill two times by vultures while I was out of stamina. I hate these flying rats. :(

By the way. Is it actually intended that the vultures try to attack you when sitting on the bike or is this a bug ?

For real. I downloaded a modlet to remove the vultures. I can't stand them, even the noise they make rattles my spine.

Personally I'd like to see a map generation option that has a "Standard" patchwork generation algorithm and a "Realism" generation algorithm.

If you want to be realistic, you should probably have only one or two biomes in even a 16k map. No matter how you slice it.

I personally love that patchwork. It gives me more of an actual game experience.

Is stamina better now?

Seems like it is. That was the reason for me starting a game with the longest days possible... to see if the stamina would become annoying throughout such a day. There were moments of course, but in general for first day without perks, it was manageable and pleasant.

Archived